Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What does sugar do to you?

[wa...]

At 5.5 months out I’ve been avoiding sugar. I avoided all Christmas sweets months ago but since today is Valentine’s Day (Happy Valentine’s Day everyone :smitten: ) I thought what the heck and endulged in 1...ONE... chocolate covered strawberry. Within 15 mins I was in full panic/restless/racing thought mode. I’m on the tail end of it now after an hour. Is this normal? That couldn’t have even been that much sugar, but it was the first thing I ate of the day... maybe that’s why. Also, I am already in my monthly wave but that was extreme!

What does sugar do to you?

When do these sensitivities get better?

I think the whole endocrine system becomes super sensitized and things cascade.  I had the same experience recently...hadn't touched any sugar for many months and had one small square of the 95% cacao and whack!!

I think the whole endocrine system becomes super sensitized and things cascade.  I had the same experience recently...hadn't touched any sugar for many months and had one small square of the 95% cacao and whack!!

I’m sorry to hear that! But it does help to know I’m not alone with this. What kind of symptoms do you get from the chocolate/sugar?

GI stuff and anxiety ramped...stuff I thought was mostly history.  And all this from an itsy bit of sugar.  Who woulda thunk it, you know???  No chocolate is cruel.

You're probably right about eating that luscious chocolate strawberry on an empty stomach first thing in the morning when cortisol is already whacked in us to begin with and probably will be for some time.

I would like to just do half a glass of wine once in a while like I used to...a couple times a month. 

I'll say that even at 22 months out, I still have reactions to sugar. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, whilst still being painful to deal with. It's completely affects my anxiety and my ability to cope with stress and anxiety.. And it causes the same racing thoughts that you mentioned. Yes, sugar does cause these issues and I would avoid it as much as possible.

It's weird cuz I don't get the same reaction with molasses which I use as a B vitamin  and iron sup occasionally.  But I remembered that molasses doesn't cause the same sugar spikes and it's safe for diabetics...another bit of useless information rattling around my empty head.

LiveAbove - I agree...am going to be a very good (old) girl for a long time when it comes to sugar.  Oh, how these benzos hold our feet to the fire.

Weirdly, I never had a problem with sugar. It never bothered me at all but I have read that some people do get ramped up by it. Isnt it interesting how everyone can be so different, yet we share so many other things???

The human brain IS amazing.

Sugar would also start up all my withdrawal symptoms immediately.  It felt almost like 10 cups of coffee at times.  The good news is it will go away as you heal.  But it takes time.  I found that diet greatly affected all my withdrawal symptoms.  I avoided gluten, all grains, dairy, sugar and peanuts: all the major common food allergens.  It really helped me.  Now I can eat nearly anything with no problems.  It was all temporary, no worries.

Thank you all for your replies! It helps a lot. Especially that it’s getting better or gone away for others. Looks like I’ll keep avoiding sweets and maybe try a small amount in a few months time and see what happens. If it’s like today, I’ll avoid again. What crap, I miss chocolate...& pie...& gelato...

:smitten: