Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

ISO sleep without Xanax

[Sp...]

I am quite happy with my sleep quality and quantity but I'm dependent on 1 mg Zanax at bedtime. Have been taking it for 20 years fortunately with no change in dose or effectiveness. I also take 200 mg of Trazadone at bedtime for sleep. Both prescribed by a psychiatrist. Would love to taper off of Zanax but am really afraid of going back to the horrible sleep patterns before starting. Hope BenzoBuddies can help.

Hello Springbringer :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad that you found us.  Benzodiazepines should only be used short term!  (2 or 3 weeks)  It doesn't take long for the body to become dependent on these drugs.  If you are considering tapering off then it should be done slow and careful.  The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  Some taper slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep the symptoms as manageable as possible.

Check out the Ashton Manual, It’s  great for understanding the effect benzodiazepines have on our body.  It also provides tapering and withdrawal information.  You will find some valuable support and info on the forum.  Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I am sorry you suffered with insomnia prior to benzo use.  Insomnia is also very common in withdrawal, I had this awful symptom.  You may want to check out the insomnia board, I have posted the link below. You may get some tips to help with your sleep issues. 

Insomnia 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita