Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Go back in time...

[Fi...]

Hello everyone.  My name is Angel.  I have just been prescribed benzo's for the first time.  They are necessary and I shall be taking them, but I realize there is a downside.  So, I'm asking you all what would you recommend to your younger self - your 'before you ever took a benzo' self that you wish you knew then?

I can anticipate that some might respond, "Don't start!" and, if that's the case, I appreciate the thought but not going to happen.  I'm terminal, but it might be tomorrow or it might be fifteen years from now.  Just in case I'm on the back-end of that range though, I'd hate to miss out on that one piece of advice that could have changed my life, if only I had asked it.

Thanks.

zDFSObb.png

Hello Firsttimer!

We are very glad that you found us!

I am sorry for what ever issue you have that brings you to feeling you must take this class of medication long term. The manufacturers of this class of medication recommends using short term (2-4 weeks). My suggestions would be to make yourself fully aware of what tolerance is and how to deal with this condition once it has been reached. Also, be informed as to what the full effects can be when this medication stops working and one has reached the dosage cap. One generally does not want to be on this class of medication any longer than absolutely necessary. Perhaps look into alternative medications. :thumbsup:

I would also like to suggest that you do some research on the various boards. Becoming well informed should better enable you to make difficult decisions as well as provide you with the tools you need in order to make these informed decisions. I have enclosed a few links below that may help you. Check them out!

Wishing you the very best!

Bella  :smitten:

Please take the time to tell us about your history by creating a signature:

For a direct link:

CLICK HERE --->

Create a Signature <--- CLICK HERE 

Links:

Professor Heather Ashton's

Boards:

Other Tutorials:

You may, although I'm not certain I'll be able to give you a succinct answer.  Let me add some perspective first, if I may.  I am a recovered addict.  My drug of choice was crack.  Been clean and sober now for 9,773 days so I'm coming to the table knowing a few things about addiction.  Six years ago I was diagnosed with a rare, muscular auto-immune disorder.  Since then I've had six heart attacks, and as a result of the auto-immune causing havoc in my body, I now have chronic heart disease, chronic lung disease, chronic liver and kidney disease, severe nerve damage, etc. 

In addition, I have certain mental health issues that I've been able to find ways to adapt and work around, most of which has had to do with me writing checks against my body which I can no longer do.    So, a life-long anxiety disorder was managed until the tools I had for managing it were gone.  Adding to that dynamic, I suffer from vasospasms (veins spasming) as a condition of the auto-immune disorder which cause secondary muscle spasms which can last from thirty seconds to thirty minutes.  The longer ones result in muscle ripping from bone which is as painful as it sounds.  I've had multiple surgeries to reattach muscles in both shoulders, elbows, knees, etc. 

The point of mentioning the spasms was to draw a picture. Imagine having to go to the bathroom but you know that getting up and using your muscles to walk is going to increase the likelihood of a spasm by 300% or more.  Do you get up or do you hold it?  Can't hold it...muscles don't work any more.  Can't take another bout of pain like that again right now though...haven't recovered from the last one.  Can't...anyway, it's challenging, stressful and I've been dealing with it for six years.  I am ready for help – and if that help comes in the way of chemistry, I'm good with that. 

I do however, want to do so as responsible as possible.  Anxiety is part of my life – but I don't need it to be all of my life.  I need breaks but would like to do so in a manner least likely to contribute to addiction.  I know everyone is different, but generally speaking, how infrequently should I take this prn prescription to avoid addiction and tolerance increases?  Once a week?  Once every three days?  Thoughts?

I was on benzo for contractures from spinal surgery unerrstand pain. Getting off benzo is horrific in this respect for me.

Would you be able to deal with anxiety in another way if muscle spasms were better controlled?

If there is anyway you can think to do that Iwould suggest you try every other kind of muscle relaxation before benzo.

Have you tried Tinazidine etc

I was on benzo for contractures from spinal surgery unerrstand pain. Getting off benzo is horrific in this respect for me.

I understand.

Would you be able to deal with anxiety in another way if muscle spasms were better controlled?

No.  The vasospasms were an 'added to' an already existent anxiety issue.  For instance, I am on the autism spectrum.  I am absolutely losing my mind right now trying to figure out how to ask this question to get my needs met.  Trying to preempt objections by saying things like, "They are necessary and I shall be taking them" and "I can anticipate that some might respond, "Don't start!" and, if that's the case, I appreciate the thought but not going to happen."  Back before I contracted this physical issue, I would never need ask someone else - I'd research it myself tirelessly, and failing that, I'd simply pay someone to find the answer.  Now I live on $177/month and take three naps a day.  My tools are gone.

If there is anyway you can think to do that Iwould suggest you try every other kind of muscle relaxation before benzo.

It's been six years.  I've tried.  Look, I'm got over twenty-six years clean and sober after a $3000/day habit that lasted longer than some members here have been alive.  Obviously, I guard my clean date well or I would have relapsed a long time ago.  I don't drink, smoke, I'm a vegetarian, meditate, maintain a healthy weight, etc.  This is the last house on the block.

Have you tried Tinazidine etc

Don't know about the 'etc.' but no, I haven't tried Tinazidine.  It is counter indicated with my condition, as are most muscle relaxers.  I am on baclofen, max dose. 

Hello everyone.  My name is Angel.  I have just been prescribed benzo's for the first time.  They are necessary and I shall be taking them, but I realize there is a downside.  So, I'm asking you all what would you recommend to your younger self - your 'before you ever took a benzo' self that you wish you knew then?

I can anticipate that some might respond, "Don't start!" and, if that's the case, I appreciate the thought but not going to happen.  I'm terminal, but it might be tomorrow or it might be fifteen years from now.  Just in case I'm on the back-end of that range though, I'd hate to miss out on that one piece of advice that could have changed my life, if only I had asked it.

Thanks.

I am so very sorry you are terminal, that must be terrifying.  That is such a hard question to answer.

It only took me 3 years before I started having issues with xanax, terrible stomach pain.  I am in my 60's, and benzo's can be harder on people in that age bracket, and I have always had problems taking different drugs.  But you may go the 15 years and not have a problem, everyone is different .  So, I have no answer, just love and hope for you.  Mary ☮️💜🙏☮️💜🙏

I’m so sorry you are dealing with this issue.  Does the auto immune cause the anxiety or are they separate? If it were me, I would try everything I could to heal each issue as much as possible. It sounds daunting, your list is long, but if you can hold out and see if other treatments can get you relief I would try that first.  Part of my reasoning is there is no taking one here or there and avoiding a horrendous dependency on Benzos,  it only takes a few according to some folks here.  That being said, and hopefully I’m just being paranoid, but there isn’t a certainty this class of drugs will always be available.  There must be something else that can give you relief without going down this awful road.  Wishing you the best

I am so very sorry you are terminal, that must be terrifying.

Not so much actually.  I cleaned up almost twenty-seven years ago an inch away from dead.  All that time was a gift and I made the most of it.  Everything on the bucket list and stuff I didn't have a good enough imagination for thrown in for good measure.  Got degrees in math and physics, wrote two books, earned two black belts, became a chess master, starred in my own infomercial, starred in a documentary...and then, things got really good.  I earned the respect of my father back and my children look up to me.  So yeah, no fear moving on. 

That is such a hard question to answer.

It only took me 3 years before I started having issues with xanax, terrible stomach pain.  I am in my 60's, and benzo's can be harder on people in that age bracket, and I have always had problems taking different drugs.  But you may go the 15 years and not have a problem, everyone is different .  So, I have no answer, just love and hope for you.  Mary ☮️💜🙏☮️💜🙏

Thanks for the well wishes, love and hope.  Back at you. :)  I've decided that I shall be taking this on Mondays.  I can deal with anxiety for quite a long while, but not indefinitely.  This gives me one day a week I can get a break.  Maybe that will be too much and I'll end up having problems, maybe not.  But I think it'll give me the best chance for success based on what I've been able to find out.  Three years ago my doctor put me on pain meds (norco).  I take those on weekends only.  I can take the pain during the week knowing relief is coming, you know?  Anywho, so I just wanted to try the same type of thinking with these.