Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Teva Clonazepam Discontinued Group

[Sc...]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [Du...]

• [NJ...]

• [Li...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having a tough time still going from Mylan to brand name clonzapam. So I feel for all of you going through these transitions.

I had trouble doing switchover gradually, although know that works for some. For whatever reason went into withdrawal. Did straight switch and so far I am better, but not good.

I feel the brand works differently. It’s not as effective at muscle relaxation(purpose for which I was prescribed). It is making me depressed. I did not feel that way on Mylan.

I am considering trying Actavis, thoughts on that brand?

Sun,

Once again, I think that the Brand K is a very strong version of clonazepam because it is the original clonazepam, Rivotril.

So you still do not feel comfortable on it and feel better on the mylan which is no longer available, and you have a limited amount of the mylan left.

I’m honestly running out of options here to advise you. I have never tried the brand k as it is very expensive, but I’ve called the company twice. The first time, they said to have my pharmacy call them and they would disclose the price to them.

I find that somewhat perplexing. The second time I called, the customer service person said, “well, it depends. Go to this website and compare prices.”

That website led me nowhere except to using Good Rx coupons. Apparently, you’ve been trying it and paying for it, but I’ve tried to find out about it and now I give up. I think it will be too strong for me and I’m already over my head in the amount of clonazepam I still have to get off using generic ODTs by teva. Several people have switched to the brand K with success but I don’t know all of them.

The only ones I know of are Bob7 and NJstrength. I think I may have given you NJ’s name spelled with a capital S when it’s a lower case letter as a contact. Their names are correct now I believe.

If you want to try Actavis clonazepam, I think you should. It’s generic and I’ve always done well on it.

But as I said to people on this support group, one has to decide what they’re going to try. Switching around just messes with your CNS and then become highly sensitized.

On the page 4 reply 33 of this thread Raven4111111 said they are bringing  back teva clonazepam.That would be nice.

onemoretry, I looked for that and couldn’t find it. If it’s there, it’s way back in June or July of 2018.

I am having a tough time still going from Mylan to brand name clonzapam. So I feel for all of you going through these transitions.

I had trouble doing switchover gradually, although know that works for some. For whatever reason went into withdrawal. Did straight switch and so far I am better, but not good.

I feel the brand works differently. It’s not as effective at muscle relaxation(purpose for which I was prescribed). It is making me depressed. I did not feel that way on Mylan.

Sun,

Once again, I think that the Brand K is a very strong version of clonazepam because it is the original clonazepam, Rivotril.

So you still do not feel comfortable on it and feel better on the mylan which is no longer available, and you have a limited amount of the mylan left.

I’m honestly running out of options here to advise you. I have never tried the brand k as it is very expensive, but I’ve called the company twice. The first time, they said to have my pharmacy call them and they would disclose the price to them.

I find that somewhat perplexing. The second time I called, the customer service person said, “well, it depends. Go to this website and compare prices.”

That website led me nowhere except to using Good Rx coupons. Apparently, you’ve been trying it and paying for it, but I’ve tried to find out about it and now I give up. I think it will be too strong for me and I’m already over my head in the amount of clonazepam I still have to get off using generic ODTs by teva. Several people have switched to the brand K with success but I don’t know all of them.

The only ones I know of are Bob7 and NJstrength. I think I may have given you NJ’s name spelled with a capital S when it’s a lower case letter as a contact. Their names are correct now I believe.

If you want to try Actavis clonazepam, I think you should. It’s generic and I’ve always done well on it.

But as I said to people on this support group, one has to decide what they’re going to try. Switching around just messes with your CNS and then become highly sensitized.

Yes, I am on the brand K. No issues with it. I am having a terribly rough time with other things in my life so have updosed (basically doubled my dose since September) but that has nothing to do with switching to brand. Luckily, it is not that expensive with my insurance, $75 for 100 .5 mg tablets.

Sun,

Yes, I am on the brand K. No issues with it. I am having a terribly rough time with other things in my life so have updosed (basically doubled my dose since September) but that has nothing to do with switching to brand. Luckily, it is not that expensive with my insurance, $75 for 100 .5 mg tablets.

How is your son NJ, any news? 💜☮️🙏

Thanks for the feedback and support, still trying to adjust to brand k. Have connected w Bob and NJ strength and appreciate their help too.

Best,

Sun🌻

Sun,

NJ,

Sorry to continuously use you as a reference. I know all the issues you are facing. You are one of the few I do know of that has gone to brand K and done well and who also has used scales to taper.

My insurance may pay at a lower cost also, but it would require an appeal from my pdoc, and he tells me he gets into it with a lot of insurance companies over this sort of thing, so I’ve never asked. I really don’t want it anyway as I’m ok with what I’m using right now.

We all keep asking, but is there anything new to report about your son and how he’s doing?

Thanks for the feedback and support, still trying to adjust to brand k. Have connected w Bob and NJ strength and appreciate their help too.

Best,

Sun🌻

Sun,  glad you have connected with both Bob and NJ.

Sun,

How is your son NJ, any news? 💜☮️🙏

NJ,

And now Mary is asking also. All on the LHSG would like to know how it’s going with your son.

Intend and Mary,

Thanks for your continued concern. My son--he has been on a high dose (50 mg) of prednisone since mid-March. It decreased stomach pain so he can now eat. It did not produce the weight gain that steroids normally do, he has gained two pounds, so now 109 pounds at 5'10" and 16 years old. We now need to wean off the steroids as he has been on longer than he should have been. The doctor said he was hoping the prednisone would be a "home run" but that he only got us to first base. So now we will wean him off, and I would imagine his symptoms will return as he is on no other medication underneath to help him out, as he failed the other meds. We still are working with a "probable Crohn's" diagnosis. So without a diagnosis, we still don't know what is going on and don't have access to the drugs that if it is Crohn's might give him more quality of life back. The doctor refused to share what he wants to do next, which is maddening but I do understand his point that the next step will depend on how my son reacts to the wean. I am trying to stay calm but it is very hard ... I just hope that by September he is better. But this has been going on since last September so it is harder to be optimistic. I cannot believe this whole school year has been so hard for him. He is a sophomore so I really, really hope next year is better as we begin college testing and visits. I am so distracted at work I feel like I get so little done day to day, and there are still times I cry on my way to or from work.

I continue to have stomach issues but I really think I am having food intolerances and I am just struggling to  figure out what exactly I can eat in a more systematic way. I am almost embarrassed by how much I have updosed my K but it is what it is and I am doing my best to carry on. I also found a new therapist who is helping more than the last one. I continue to have issues with horrible Sundays, near suicidal depression, more stomach issues, I just cannot get a handle on Sundays. I think I work so hard all week to be okay that Sundays I fall apart.

Intend, I have read some of the LHSG thread about your daughter and I am so sorry. It is so very tough when your child is ill no matter how old they are.

NJ,

I have taken prednisone myself to bring down inflammation in my trachea and the taper off was done quickly.

Since I tapered so quickly (as indicated by the doctor) I did not gain anything. But longer  use of steroids does usually cause weight gain.

I do hope he reacts well to the taper because maybe it will be that home  run your Doctor was hoping for. But waiting like this for so long would be way, way hard to do.

I googled Crohn’s disease and what I saw was anti inflammatory non steroidal type medications which I’m not sure what those might be, and then immunosuppressive type meds.

This is true emotional “torture” for you and your husband, and I’m so sorry this is happening.

Do not be embarrassed by anything. You are doing what you have to do to get through this, and you will taper or not when the time is right. Your son is a big priority right now.

I don’t like saturdays or sundays myself. I can definitely understand how the thought of going back to work after Sunday would cause you to get depressed. I just wish that all this would get settled so you and your family could go back to being a “normal” family and thank goodness for your new therapist. You need the best you can find to listen and advise.

And yes, my younger daughter has Bahcets disease which is rare and almost untreatable. I havent contacted her for several days as it’s just so hard to handle the conversations. They start out cheerful enough, but devolve quickly into extreme anger on her part. I do worry so much about her though.

The university of Utah has started a case study of her as this is unusual in this part of the world. It’s autoimmune and those steroids have caused her to gain weight.

All we both can do is hope for the best and stand by them as much as possible.

Intend,

Thank you for your kind words and I hope you and Dan can get through this awful time with your daughter.

• 3 weeks later...

Intend to be off,

I attempted to stay with Brand in an attempt to adjust. While my muscles felt more stiff, I was doing better (not well) for weeks 2-3. However, weeks 3-4 have been horrific. The muscle pain and spasms in my body are horrible. I am in a lot of pain.

I should have switched to Activis as you mentioned. So upset with myself I didn’t but didn’t want to jump around.

I’ve now been on brand for one month. It feels stronger in some ways, but weaker in others. Can’t tell if Ian having wd sxs or side effects.

Is it too late to try Activis?

NJ strength - best wishes to you and your son, I hope for improvements for you.

Best,

Sun 🌻

Sun,

I can’t remember if you got on brand gradually (as one should) or started it all at once. That distinction right there makes a big difference for most people, but because we are all different, some can make a “cold or direct switch over.”

No point in trying to distinguish between side effects and withdrawl effects if you can’t tolerate the brand by a month on it and you’re in so much pain.

I think people forget that the brand is just another form of clonazepam even though it’s the original clonazepam so it’s going to feel different for most people just as if you were changing to another generic.

It’s really never too late to change to another type of clonazepam such as actavis. As long as you can get it at a pharmacy, I’d say to go ahead and get it, but proceed slowly as you acclimate from the brand K to the actavis, and remember that you should try to stick with actavis clonazepam as long as you can get it from your pharmacy or any pharmacy that will accommodate you by ordering it in for you or keeping it in stock for you.

We really have no control over any pharmacy or the drugs that they  have because they use wholesalers (such as McKesson, Cardinal Health, and AmerisourceBergen) who negotiate with pharmacy benefit managers to get the best price they can get for all the drugs that they sell whether it be brand name drugs or generic versions of the brand.

And “jumping around” from one type of clonazepam (whether generic or brand) is something to avoid if possible as it sensitizes the Central Nervous System. This is where the FDA “falls down” on their job as generics of any benzo are not necessarily the same.

Intend,

Thank you for your reply!

I couldn’t tolerate gradual change so did cold switchover. I don’t know why partial was so bad but I only dose once per day and i take less than a full .5 pill. My guess is there were times I wasn’t getting enough med due to lack of even distribution.

Yes, I see your point. I guess if it was just wd I’d gut it out. But if it’s intolerable side effects, I want something else. Just wanted to feel I gave it enough time, but concerns me it’s getting worse, not better, with time.

Best,

Sun🌻

Sun,

I dose twice per day; once in the morning (although this gets kind of “stretched out to afternoon” depending on what I’m doing), and once at night before bed.

But I’m doing a microtaper with milk and using a syringe. Once again, I can’t remember whether you are doing that or doing a dry cut taper (as in pill cutting) or using a scale for tapering.

I tend to think that a microtaper using milk, vodka/water, or PG/water enables one to do smaller cuts that pill cutting or a scale does not. Having said that, there are many BB who have gotten off doing it using those other 2 methods.

As far as uneven distribution of the med, dosing once per day may also cause that. It’s just depends on the individual again. I remember one BB who was on Mylan clonazepam, and she said that she would not be able to function at all if she dosed more than once per day, and she took her dose at night before bed.

Since you are going to give Actavis clonazepam a shot, if you have to do a cold switch, just do that, and see how you feel afterwards. If you feel fine after that switch, give it more time as you did with the brand K.

If the feeling of uneven distribution continues, you could try to try to split your dosing in two doses per day whether it be scales or by microtaper.

Sun, it’s kind of an experiment with many people as far as the benzo you’re on, the method of tapering, and how many times you dose. Clonazepam has been known to require 1, 2, and 3 doses per day.

I hope this goes well for you.

I would like to add that you were originally given Clonazapam for pain as per your signature.

Benzos such as clonazepam and Valium are often given for physical pain of some kind. This is why Ashton’s patients were given various benzos also. She was just out of medical school and completed all her requirements when she took over a clinic for patients who had experienced some kind of physical injury and were in pain.

The benzos enabled the patients to relax and heal from their injuries. And as she followed their healing progress, one particular patient who had a broken leg or ankle came in for her follow up. She had been given Ativan, and she came in finally on crutches and doing much better. But she mentioned to Ashton that she had also had stopped the Ativan and was experiencing the oddest of symptoms.

So Ashton questioned her further, and the patient said, “I almost feel like I’m addicted to these pills.”

Well, we all now know that this is a chemical dependency and not an addiction, but so began the story of Ashton’s research on benzos.

Benzos like clonazepam are often given for physical pain from injuries and surgeries.

Thank you, Intend. Great info re Ashton, thank you!

I didn’t realize so many people were on benzos for pain. It’s the only med, other than baclofen, to touch my spasms following a spinal injury of my entire spine. I have Ehlers Danlos. The difficulty is figuring how much pain is med related.

I was trying to reduce, but had to stop. I have a chronically ill child, am separated with no family or support system locally, and my mom is terminally ill. So a lot of life stressors impacting wd.

I really appreciate the support and feedback. 🙏🏻

Best,

Sun 🌻

Thank you, Intend. Great info re Ashton, thank you!

I didn’t realize so many people were on benzos for pain. It’s the only med, other than baclofen, to touch my spasms following a spinal injury of my entire spine. I have Ehlers Danlos. The difficulty is figuring how much pain is med related.

I was trying to reduce, but had to stop. I have a chronically ill child, am separated with no family or support system locally, and my mom is terminally ill. So a lot of life stressors impacting wd.

I really appreciate the support and feedback. 🙏🏻

Best,

Sun 🌻

Sun,

Yes, benzos are used for pain caused by numerous ailments more often than experts on pain management would like. And they are also used along with the opiates which can be a recipe for overdose and disaster.

The bacloflen is often used for pain and muscle spasm and might be a better one for your spinal injury and the subsequent muscle spasms.

Now the Ehlers Danlos Syndrome is a toughie for sure- major problem for you along with those other stressors you mentioned. I doubt that any of this pain is related to medication. If anything, the medication has probably helped.

Have you seen a pain management specialist? If not, that might be the best idea yet. They are trained to manage pain, and very carefully. Please consider this.

My best to you and your child. 💝💖

[bd...]
So the ingredient that separates Teva from the rest of povidone. Why does everyone seem to prefer Teva? Is povidone the secret miracle ingredient?

Clara,

I’m just not sure about the povidone. I doubt it is any kind of miracle ingredient.

I just think that Teva has made clonazepam for many years as the biggest generic drug maker in the world.

Teva is struggling right now because they bought the Actavis company from Allergan in 2015, and they took on a debt of $40 billion to do that. It was not the best business decision they have ever made.

But they are trying to rectify that debt by paying it down and closing manufacturing facilities and laying off many workers. They hope to see a rebound in 2020 or 2021.

Povidone really just acts as a dispersing and suspending agent for medications along with a disintegrant and binding agent.

[bd...]

Clara,

I’m just not sure about the povidone. I doubt it is any kind of miracle ingredient.

I just think that Teva has made clonazepam for many years as the biggest generic drug maker in the world.

Teva is struggling right now because they bought the Actavis company from Allergan in 2015, and they took on a debt of $40 billion to do that. It was not the best business decision they have ever made.

But they are trying to rectify that debt by paying it down and closing manufacturing facilities and laying off many workers. They hope to see a rebound in 2020 or 2021.

Povidone really just acts as a dispersing and suspending agent for medications along with a disintegrant and binding agent.

The povidone could make a huge difference in how it's metabolized though. Everyone loves Teva and hates the other brands. That ingredient is the only difference. It must stabilize in the blood stream a different way, maybe longer.

Could be, Clara.

I started out on Actavis clonazepam, and it worked well for me. I’m not sure it has povidone in its tablets and not about to look that up right now.

Teva has always been a great generic of clonazepam, and I hope Teva stays a great company.

I think most people like the teva as it is the only thing many of us ever took until it was discontinued. I know that was my situation.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Tr...]
    • [Ca...]
    • [...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [Sn...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Cw...]
    • [ge...]
    • [fr...]