Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Teva Clonazepam Discontinued Group

[Sc...]

Just curious ... did your doctor give you a reason as to why s/he would not write a prescription for the Teva ODTs?

It took a while to get any answer as she just refused. I did call and ask to speak with her nurse or assistant and I tried

super hard to explain it all very calmly.

This is the answer I got in the portal:

These are tablets to only be used for acute situations. I do not think this is the best solution for you.

She's a gp, not a psych and she pretty much is skittish as Intend said about medications, though she had no problem pushing Cymbalta on me (so glad I am almost off that after over 2 years tapering).

I'm glad that I was able to acclimate to the Klonopin name brand and now just worried about the taper and doing it

with no help. I have to put it on hold while I am trying to find a good place to move to. Physically, with chronic pain

and fibro, it's all very difficult. Praying things work out.

Wisdom,

Now I remember your situation better than I did when I wrote my last response, and I’m wondering if you’ll stay in the same area you are and keep the same doc but find a better place that puts you maybe on the first floor so you don’t have to get up all those stairs?

That fibro pain you have has put you through so much, and having to deal with that doc, being alone and truly isolated and going through the tremendously cold winter of MA is too much for any of us.

I’m so glad you stabilized on the brand K and feel better. Please keep us updated on how you’re feeling no matter where you move to.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [Du...]

• [NJ...]

• [Li...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious ... did your doctor give you a reason as to why s/he would not write a prescription for the Teva ODTs?

These are tablets to only be used for acute situations. I do not think this is the best solution for you.

Thank you so much seeking an answer from your physician. Your extra effort is much appreciated! I recently had to switch docs and my new doc prescribed 0.5mg Actavis clonazepam tablets b/c she didn’t have experience with the ODTs. 

Going through benzo withdrawal while also suffering from chronic pain is incredibly difficult.  My heart goes out to you.

Libertas,

So you’ve had to not only switch docs but now go to Actavis clonazepam because your new doc wasn’t familiar with the ODTS?

That’s means a 6th or 7th generic change for you? Losing count. Actavis was my first clonazepam generic and worked great for me. I hope it works the same for you if you are able to get it.

What a difficult situation we have with this supplier/distributor/wholesaler problem along with the regional availability.

Numerous people have found Actavis, and even still the Teva clonazepam.

Your doc could have just researched the ODTs as they’ve been around for quite awhile as you know, but some docs are too busy, or do not want to, or feel that the patient doesn’t need them because they do not have dysphagia or pseudo dysphagia.

Wishing you my best.

Meant to add to all of us that my husband takes trazadone by Teva, and Teva still makes Valium and Librium. I’ll never understand why in the world clonazepam has become such a problem or why this “business decision “ was made.

So you’ve had to not only switch docs but now go to Actavis clonazepam because your new doc wasn’t familiar with the ODTS?

That’s means a 6th or 7th generic change for you? Losing count. Actavis was my first clonazepam generic and worked great for me. I hope it works the same for you if you are able to get it.

Yes to both of the above.  You have a remarkable memory!

What a difficult situation we have with this supplier/distributor/wholesaler problem along with the regional availability.

I agree.  It gets even more complicated when health insurance providers and pharmacy benefits managers insert themselves into the process.  It’s a wonder any of us can get any Rx meds at all.

Wishing you my best.

Thank you so much.  Wishing you the same!

Yes to both of the above.  You have a remarkable memory!

I agree.  It gets even more complicated when health insurance providers and pharmacy benefits managers insert themselves into the process.  It’s a wonder any of us can get any Rx meds at all.

Wishing you my best.

Thank you so much.  Wishing you the same!

Libertas,

Thank you! I half to deal with so much beyond the benzo problem, that I have to have a good memory.

My husband has that head injury, so literally everything is up to me not only in benzoland but in real life.

It is a wonder if we can get any  prescription meds, but he must take numerous meds so he’s able to get them by prescription. I just keep hoping things work out for all of us.

I hope all these generic switches haven’t hit you like they have hit me. Super sensitized now.

But Actavis is owned by Teva, and is a good clonazepam. I’m hoping you do well on it like I did. I would go back to it if I could.

Thank you so much seeking an answer from your physician. Your extra effort is much appreciated! I recently had to switch docs and my new doc prescribed 0.5mg Actavis clonazepam tablets b/c she didn’t have experience with the ODTs. 

Going through benzo withdrawal while also suffering from chronic pain is incredibly difficult.  My heart goes out to you.

No problem! Happy to help in any way I can. There seem to be so many variables we are all dealing with including different types of doctors, generics, other stressors, etc. Thanks so much for the kind words. Sending you prayers for healing  love and peace.

It took a while to get any answer as she just refused. I did call and ask to speak with her nurse or assistant and I tried

super hard to explain it all very calmly.

She's a gp, not a psych and she pretty much is skittish as Intend said about medications, though she had no problem pushing Cymbalta on me (so glad I am almost off that after over 2 years tapering).

I'm glad that I was able to acclimate to the Klonopin name brand and now just worried about the taper and doing it

with no help. I have to put it on hold while I am trying to find a good place to move to. Physically, with chronic pain

and fibro, it's all very difficult. Praying things work out.

Wisdom,

Now I remember your situation better than I did when I wrote my last response, and I’m wondering if you’ll stay in the same area you are and keep the same doc but find a better place that puts you maybe on the first floor so you don’t have to get up all those stairs?

That fibro pain you have has put you through so much, and having to deal with that doc, being alone and truly isolated and going through the tremendously cold winter of MA is too much for any of us.

I’m so glad you stabilized on the brand K and feel better. Please keep us updated on how you’re feeling no matter where you move to.

Hi Intend, Hope you are doing well! I am in a more isolated area than I was in a few years back so I don't have access to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, my acupuncturist, and the doctors in my network in general. I'm hoping to move back to the area I was in (same state for now), but, the rent is more than twice as much and, to be honest, with the withdrawal issues, I'm getting less work as I simply can't do that much. On the other hand, this place definitely is not a place to heal, so, I'm thinking to try to get into an apartment complex where I will at least have reliable heat, hot water, electricity, elevator, mail, etc. and help if needed.

I also need to go to an ENT, endocrinologist, etc. and have not been able to due to my now 18 year old Mazda Tribute dying off and on all winter (AAA says it's just the cold and that has been happening for years now else I would get something else fixed.)

I don't even know if they will take my application as I don't have a permanent job (I do freelance writing and social media), but, I  keep trying to figure out what to do and I just can't come up with the answer. I do know a summer sweltering here is not possible for me. I also don't want to move to another landlord's place with crappy old sinks, drafty windows, you name it.

I do know where I would love to live. It's within walking distance of Whole Foods and other essentials, but, it's way out of my price range.

I actually think that the name brand K has made me more tired but I can't tell if that's from being so low on the Cymbalta now. Just happy to not be having panic attacks/adrenaline/cortisol horrors. Still having sleep issues though.

In any case, I am looking and praying every night. Hope is the most precious commodity.

Thank you so much for your kind words and your caring. It means worlds to me. I wish you happiness, joy, love, healing and peace.  :smitten:

Hi Wisdom.

Good to hear from you. When I read your update, it sounds like you are really planning ahead. When I looked on a map of Massachusetts, I can see there are many small towns in the western area. I was also looking at the rent pricing in those areas, and they’re not super expensive; somewhere in the area of $750, but then again maybe these are the ones that are problematic.

Hopefully, you can find an apartment complex that fits your finances somewhere in the middle between this “unreliable “ one you’re in and the more expensive ones you’d like to be in.

I know what you mean by the freezing winters and the sweltering summers. I’ve been to Massachusetts in all 4 seasons but we mainly in the Boston and cape cod area. But those winters were unbelievably cold. And I can remember sitting in a car at the post office during the summer there (we were mailing a big box of cooking items home as it was too much to take on a plane) and the air conditioner was on, but the perspiration was running down my neck, and my hubbys shirt was just drenched.

As far as the work problems, if you have a bachelors degree, you might be able to break into grant writing. It’s always work from home, and numerous non profits are always looking for grant writers. It’s a learn by doing type thing however. Maybe your friends on that social media group you help moderate might have some ideas also.

I’d really just like to see you get situated and feel stable in general meaning with these benzo issues and your home and work. But you are being as proactive as possible. As you say, Hope is the commodity here, but you’re going beyond that from what I can see, and doing all you can.

So keep doing what you’re doing, and as always, keep me updated. Really consider that grant writing. I know quite a bit about that because my oldest daughter has been an executive director of 2 non profits, and has also written numerous grants. I’m betting you could do that easily.

Hi Wisdom.

Good to hear from you. When I read your update, it sounds like you are really planning ahead. When I looked on a map of Massachusetts, I can see there are many small towns in the western area. I was also looking at the rent pricing in those areas, and they’re not super expensive; somewhere in the area of $750, but then again maybe these are the ones that are problematic.

Hopefully, you can find an apartment complex that fits your finances somewhere in the middle between this “unreliable “ one you’re in and the more expensive ones you’d like to be in.

I know what you mean by the freezing winters and the sweltering summers. I’ve been to Massachusetts in all 4 seasons but we mainly in the Boston and cape cod area. But those winters were unbelievably cold. And I can remember sitting in a car at the post office during the summer there (we were mailing a big box of cooking items home as it was too much to take on a plane) and the air conditioner was on, but the perspiration was running down my neck, and my hubbys shirt was just drenched.

As far as the work problems, if you have a bachelors degree, you might be able to break into grant writing. It’s always work from home, and numerous non profits are always looking for grant writers. It’s a learn by doing type thing however. Maybe your friends on that social media group you help moderate might have some ideas also.

I’d really just like to see you get situated and feel stable in general meaning with these benzo issues and your home and work. But you are being as proactive as possible. As you say, Hope is the commodity here, but you’re going beyond that from what I can see, and doing all you can.

So keep doing what you’re doing, and as always, keep me updated. Really consider that grant writing. I know quite a bit about that because my oldest daughter has been an executive director of 2 non profits, and has also written numerous grants. I’m betting you could do that easily.

Thanks, Intend! I will look into that. It's something I had never thought of. The FB group I admin is about Cymbalta tapering, but, I do have other social media contacts. Meanwhile, it is trash day and 130 steps (up and down) with bags and boxes just about did me in. Let alone if you forget your keys, phone or just want to go for a walk to stay healthy or get groceries.

I sound like a real complainer, but, I just feel like I've hit a brick wall here. Praying for a stable place to get healthy again.

As far as Western MA, yes, it's cheaper, but, everything I know and my doctors and health plan is here, north of Boston.

Thanks again for your camaraderie. Much appreciated.  :smitten:

Wisdom,

Thanks for your friendship!

Yep, the Boston area can be super duper expensive. And that crazy traffic !

You are not a complainer. Id be worn out myself climbing all those stairs to take out trash, and go back for groceries. In fact I’m worn out today for other reasons, but tired is tired.

I hope you can get back to the North of Boston again soon.

Another idea is medical coding. I think you can learn it online, but I have great confidence that something good is around the corner for you.

Wisdom,

Thanks for your friendship!

Yep, the Boston area can be super duper expensive. And that crazy traffic !

You are not a complainer. Id be worn out myself climbing all those stairs to take out trash, and go back for groceries. In fact I’m worn out today for other reasons, but tired is tired.

I hope you can get back to the North of Boston again soon.

Another idea is medical coding. I think you can learn it online, but I have great confidence that something good is around the corner for you.

Thanks so much and I hope things get easier where you are as well!

[eb...]
I cannot switch from Teva. It's too difficult. I have 70 days left of that brand. When I do have to switch, is it better to updose when trying the new brand? I would have to do the switch in the middle of a taper.

Clara,

Since Teva no long makes their generic of clonazepam, you will be changing generic brands.

You don’t mention the new one that you are switching to, but if we’re me, I would not updose.

The generic brands can vary by @20% less essential ingredient (clonazepam) to @25% more of essential ingredient.

And while your CNS may pick this up quickly, others may not notice anything. I think the best thing is to try it first, and let your CNS acclimate to the new one. That may take awhile or it may not. It’s always difficult to “predict” anything with benzos.

Most people here are trying to learn how to taper, tapering by different methods whether it’s a dry cut type cut taper, a liquid microtaper, or a daily liquid microtaper.

So if they switch to a different generic brand, they are in the middle of tapering also.

IMHO, just gradually introduce the new generic brand and hold while you’re doing that to let you CNS acclimate, and then continue on with your taper.

[eb...]
I'm really battling with how to fill my px today. Do I get accord or actavis if Teva was my preferred brand? Which is the superior generic? I'm thinking of going with actavis since Teva owns it but I can't find the ingredients to see if it's similar to the old Teva

I'm really battling with how to fill my px today. Do I get accord or actavis if Teva was my preferred brand? Which is the superior generic? I'm thinking of going with actavis since Teva owns it but I can't find the ingredients to see if it's similar to the old Teva

Clara, I went to Daily Med and got the ndc  codes for both actavis and Accord tablets.  I could not find the ndc  code for the teva tablets so maybe you have that code already on a bottle or on the paperwork that comes with the prescription. I save that paperwork along with all my paperwork. And I mean real paper.

So, the ndc code for Accord is 16729-136–00, and the ndc code for actavis is 0228-3003-11. So just go to google and put in Daily Med, enter these ncd codes in the search area, scroll down to product information and marketing, click on that, and you will get the active ingredient, the inactive ingredients, if the strength you want has a score, and who is the marketer of the product.

I was in the same boat.  Accord was awful.  Actavis was not good either but it was better for me.  Accord made me sick and and worst withdrawal symptoms ever.  Actavis seemed to wear off after only a few hours and I was used to teva lasting the whole day.  So, while it’s not good at first, I do think that I adjusted after about a week and am happy now because I think there is less drug in it.  So, as I’m tapering I remember that I’m even closer to being done.  I would just expect a bit of an adjustment period, but hopefully you will adjust quick! 

Oh my gosh intend that is great info!!

Thanks Saige! I’m kind of learning how to navigate these government sites.

For those who are interested, from DailyMed, below are the ingredients for Klonopin (brand), Actavis (generic), and Teva (generic, discontinued).

Brand Klonopin .5 mg

lactose, unspecified form (UNII: J2B2A4N98G)

magnesium stearate (UNII: 70097M6I30)

microcrystalline cellulose (UNII: OP1R32D61U)

starch, corn (UNII: O8232NY3SJ)

FD&C Yellow No. 6 (UNII: H77VEI93A8)

Actavis Clonazepam .5 mg

STARCH, CORN (UNII: O8232NY3SJ)

LACTOSE MONOHYDRATE (UNII: EWQ57Q8I5X)

MAGNESIUM STEARATE (UNII: 70097M6I30)

MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE (UNII: OP1R32D61U)

D&C RED NO. 30 (UNII: 2S42T2808B)

Teva Clonazepam .5 mg

STARCH, CORN (UNII: O8232NY3SJ)

LACTOSE MONOHYDRATE (UNII: EWQ57Q8I5X)

MAGNESIUM STEARATE (UNII: 70097M6I30)

MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE (UNII: OP1R32D61U)

POVIDONE K90 (UNII: RDH86HJV5Z)

D&C YELLOW NO. 10 (UNII: 35SW5USQ3G)

the only difference from teva and actavis is the POVIDONE K90 ingredient if thats true and its a binder that makes it soluable in water..then why are so many having trouble switching to it from teva??

Thank you Libertas for sharing this and taking the time to look it all up :)

does anyone have any reasons why so many are getting s/xs from the switch with that ingredient being left out?

will check back later and see what others think..i am going to have to start my switch from teva to actavis 1 mg tabs soon..i keep putting it off from reading to many people getting really sick from doing it.

thanks again

deep

I am neither a pharmacist nor physician,  but I have devoted time to research/reading on the topic of drug formulations in general and clonazepam in particular.

For example, below is more info about Povidone K90. 

I also wonder if we just need to give our bodies time to adjust to a new generic?  Per one of my notes,  “In most clinical situations, the attainment of steady state can be assumed after 3-5 half-lives.”  The half-life of clonazepam is 30 to 40 hours. So (IF my math is right ... and that’s a big if given my benzo brain), the range for attaining steady state is 90 (3 x 30) to 200 hours (5 x 40). In other words, it could take from 3.75 to 8.33 days for a new generic to reach steady state in our bodies. 

And, of course, another factor is the amount of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) in a given generic.  As we have learned, this can vary from brand to generic and generic to generic as well as from tablet to tablet and batch to batch.

From Povidone K90 (Inactive Ingredient) - Drugs.com at:

https://www.drugs.com/inactive/povidone-k90-376.html

“Povidone (polyvinylpyrrolidone, PVP) is used in the pharmaceutical industry as a synthetic polymer vehicle for dispersing and suspending drugs. It has multiple uses, including as a binder for tablets and capsules, a film former for ophthalmic solutions, to aid in flavoring liquids and chewable tablets, and as an adhesive for transdermal systems.

Povidone has the molecular formula of (C6H9NO)n and appears as a white to slightly off-white powder. Povidone formulations are widely used in the pharmaceutical industry due to their ability to dissolve in both water and oil solvents. The k number refers to the mean molecular weight of the povidone. Povidones with higher K-values (i.e., k90) are not usually given by injection due to their high molecular weights. The higher molecular weights prevent excretion by the kidneys and lead to accumulation in the body. The best-known example of povidone formulations is povidone-iodine, an important disinfectant.”

Deep,

This is not complicated for me. I do think that individual manufacturers matter as to the active and inactive ingredients in a particular medication.

There are numerous people on this support group who have trouble going from teva clonazepam to any other version of clonazepam. It could be Accord; it could be Actavis; it could be Solco. And any other manufacturer that comes along and makes another version of clonazepam.

Some find they take their time, introduce the different clonazepam slowly while holding exactly where they are if they have enough left of their previous clonazepam, and they let their CNS acclimate to the new clonazepam. Some people find they acclimate quickly while others find it takes them longer.

When I took sandoz clonazepam after taking actavis for several years, I could tell right away that it was a weaker version of clonazepam as I felt w/d sx within about 5 days. There are many factors involved such as those inert ingredients like the dyes, fillers and binders of the drug and the essential ingredient itself which is clonazepam.

As per the FDA and for many pharmacies, all these versions of clonazepam are identical when they are not. The inactive ingredients are not and the essential ingredient is not necessarily either. The FDA will allow the essential ingredient which is clonazepam to vary between 20% under the brand K to 25% over the brand K for all generics of clonazepam. That is a big range so it’s no wonder why people have trouble acclimating to a different version especially when one takes all those inert ingredients into consideration.

You can get so much information from Daily Med and the FDA orange book, but the only way you’ll know if Actavis will work for you is to get going on this process of changing over to it. That and hoping you can get the same generic brand with each refill.

I’m on a Teva orally disintegrating tab now because I couldn’t get the Actavis tablet anymore and I do have trouble swallowing from idiopathic subglottic stenosis. You may have trouble acclimating to Actavis but I think you will eventually.  The other day, Gingermint calculated the gram weight of the both for you, and it showed the Actavis weighing slightly more than the Teva tabs as I remember. I just think since you have to make a switch here, you may as well get going on it.

Intend your so wonderful.

Yes I just switched my morning dose to the teva odts and am doing good now.I felt weird a couple days but it leveled out.I did a straight switch over.Now Im changing my night dose.Hope it goes as smooth.Anyways that's my .02 cents.I hate the not knowing.It's like standing on the high dive looking down at the water.The longer you wait the more fear sets in.Anyways I wish everyone the best of luck. :)

Intend your so wonderful.

Yes I just switched my morning dose to the teva odts and am doing good now.I felt weird a couple days but it leveled out.I did a straight switch over.Now Im changing my night dose.Hope it goes as smooth.Anyways that's my .02 cents.I hate the not knowing.It's like standing on the high dive looking down at the water.The longer you wait the more fear sets in.Anyways I wish everyone the best of luck. :)

onemoretry,

Great analogy with the high dive. I’ve done that in my past. Standing on a diving board looking downward and then starting to doubt I can dive in at all. I can even remember just literally jumping in and bumping into someone below in the pool. I did turn out to be a very good diver, but didn’t know it at the time. My mom sent my brothers and me to the ymca where we learned that we all had good diving and swimming skills that needed some fine tuning.

I couldn’t  do the straight  switchover, but did crossover slow and steady. Some can and some can’t.

But just getting on with it helps to feel like one is accomplishing the job.  :thumbsup:

[eb...]
I just tried actavis after being on Teva for 4 years. It totally fried my nerves and made me ice cold. Luckily I might still have enough Teva to finish my taper.....66 1mg pills left... This is awful.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [jo...]
    • [de...]
    • [...]
    • [Mt...]
    • [...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [Os...]
    • [On...]
    • [PE...]
    • [El...]
    • [fa...]