HELP! Want to start K to V crossover

[pd...]

Hi everyone,

I'm currently planning on crossing over from 0,5 mgs clonazepam to 10 mgs of valium, but the problem is that I live in Argentina and they don't sell the 2 mgs V here. Is it okay if I use a different generic brand for the 2 mgs pill or is it gonna be a problem?

Thanks!

Not sure I understand you exactly. The 2mg pills make it easier to taper because a quarter of a pill is 0.5 mg (smallish amount). It shouldn’t matter what brand. If you can only get 10mg pills, it can still be done you will just need to learn about weighing the pill, or crushing and suspending in a liquid medium.

:thumbsup:

Jks

Hi JustKeepSwimming,

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself correctly. I wanna crossover to Valium (Roche) but they don't manufacture 2 mg pills here. My problem is that there is no diazepam manufacturer that makes 10, 5 & 2, so I was wondering if I could mix the actual Valium (Roche) that comes in 10s & 5s, with a generic diazepam brand for the 2 mg pills.

I dont think that would be a problem. However, it it were me I would just go with the 2 mg pills to start with assuming your doctor will prescribe it that way. It is usually better to do the crossover gradually rather than all at once and the 2 mg pills would let you do that. You could wait 1-2 weeks between transitions depending on how you are feeling. Something like this:

Step one: 0.375 mg klonopin and 2mg (or 2.5 mg if you need it= 1 and a quarter of the 2 mg pills) daily

Step 2: 0.25 mg klonopin and 4mg (or 5 mg if you need it= 2 and a half of the 2 mg pills) daily

Step 3: 0.125 mg klonopin and 6mg (or up to 7.5 mg if you need it= 3 and three quarters of the 2 mg pills) daily

Step 4: no klonopin and 8mg (or up to 10mg if you need it= 5 of the 2 mg pills) daily

Do yo see how doing it gradually allows you to adjust based on how you respond? You might not even need the full 10mg equivalent. Then when you are ready you can start to taper by cutting the 2mg pills.

JKS

Actually it can make a difference if you use the name brand vs generic or even two different brands of generic. They can vary in potency up to 20%. I found that out the hard way when I was still on Xanax and the pharmacy switched brands on me. So if you use the generic 2mg pills, be sure to use the same generic brand for the 5 and 10mg pills too.

Hi PDP,

I’ll answer your PM here as it actually is against the rules to give tapering advice by PM. Better to do it on the boards where others can chime in. Switching from K to V did help me a lot but I had already failed tapering several times and so I think I needed it. Many have successfully tapered directly from K. I found the V to help me sleep much better at least in the beginning which I really needed. I unfortunately am still having symptoms, but from what I understand I’m in the minority, many people heal completely in the first 1-2 years off. It is better now than while tapering or when I first came off. Since you asked, my advice to you is to take it one day at a time. Make a plan you and your caregivers are comfortable with and stick to it as much as possible. Tapering can be difficult (or not) but the end is worth it, so keep going and adjust course gently if you need to. I liked cutting my pills into pill boxes for a two week stretch so then I didn’t have to think about it, just take what was in that days box.

Take care.

You can do this.

JKS

Thanks for your words!

I've actually been on K daily for 3-4 months, but I wanna switch because I don't have the patience to do liquid titration or microcutting. Also, the 0.5 mg pill here is very crumbly and I can't cut it precisely. I'm planning on switching bc of the pill sizes (I want full control of my taper) and also bc of sleep, bc diazepam is supposed to be more sedative and sleeping is a priority for me.

Can I ask you which symptoms do you still experience after being off the benzos?

I didnt realize yo had been on a short time. I think it is worthwhile to give a direct taper a try. Many people have no side effects at all coming off benzodiazepines! Consider getting a scale (much advice elsewhere on BB about what kind to get) and reducing by weight of the pill. Although the crossover did help me it was only after many tries to taper and crossing over takes time that you could be spending to taper. Especially if you arent having any side effects from K, it might be better to stick with the devil you know. There's no one right answer, I hope you find the one that's right for you. No need to think or worry about my symptoms- you only have to walk your own path. For now think positive thoughts and you will get there!

JKS