Suspected shooter in Vegas massacre prescirbed Valium

[Ph...]

Just to clarify, when I said on a 'case by case basis', I was referring to factors like their particular upbringing, political ideologies, history of violent or inappropriate behavior, psych history, et al. And then evaluating that in the light of the particular medications they were taking. Obviously we do not have most of that information. I suppose that demographics is another factor to be looked at as well, and yes, it is accurate to say that a large majority of mass shootings in US have been committed by white males. But that was not really the intent of this post, nor would I want to make this political. The intent, rather, was to examine the role that psychotropic drugs (particularly benzos) might or might not have played in these horrendous crimes, as well as to consider how this might play a role in the future prescribing of these meds..

This guy was barely prescribed Valium in June,he had been stockpiling weapons before that,who even knows if he was using the Valium? Also I read an article in our local newspaper (I'm in Vegas) that marksmen use Valium regularly to jeep their hand steady,I don't have links but I'm sure a Google search would show something,let's wait for the facts in this case before jumping to blame any one thing

This guy was barely prescribed Valium in June,he had been stockpiling weapons before that,who even knows if he was using the Valium? Also I read an article in our local newspaper (I'm in Vegas) that marksmen use Valium regularly to jeep their hand steady,I don't have links but I'm sure a Google search would show something,let's wait for the facts in this case before jumping to blame any one thing

Agreed

IMHO, I never had any mental health problems until my WD from ambient.

For the sake of our membership, all references to self-harm and/or harming others have been removed from your recent post.

Please click on this link if you are thinking about suicide, self-harm, or harming others: Self-Harm/Ideation (Revised)[/i]

Finally, they "said" on CNN "Prescribed Valium for anxiousness".  I had the volume turned down, but it was printed on the screen.  It's has bothered me very much that this tid-bit has been omitted by mainstream news as far as I've seen thus far, aside from Fox news as I understand.

edit: I just rewound and watched again and in a big banner, in all capitalized letters, across the bottom later in broadcast: "VEGAS KILLER SAID HE TOOK VALIUM, GAMBLED $1M A NIGHT."

Oct. 9/17, Las Vegas (CNN) online, account of 2013 deposition:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/09/us/las-vegas-stephen-paddock-deposition/index.html

He took Valium at times for anxiousness, and had the doctor who prescribed it to him on retainer...

He said he was prescribed Valium "for anxiousness" by Nevada internist Steven P. Winkler. It was unclear how often he took the drug, but he estimated that he had 10 or 15 pills remaining in a bottle of 60 that were prescribed a year and a half earlier.

Rage, aggressiveness and irritability are among the possible side effects of taking diazepam -- better known as Valium, according to a manufacturer of the drug. It is not known when Paddock last took the drug.

Paddock was asked whether he had a good relationship with the doctor who prescribed him the pills.

"He's like on retainer, I call it, I guess," Paddock said of Winkler. "It means I pay a fee yearly ... I have good access to him."

Winkler did not respond to an email or phone call seeking comment for this story. Reporters were turned away by a security guard after seeking access to the gated community where he lives.

Very interesting, benzohno. On a retainer with the doctor. Geez, benzos seem to involve so many people. I'm shaking my head. "I have good access to him." Whoa...

Those phrases struck me too Terry.  I think he's confusing terms used when talking about a lawyer, but I guess he had good access to whatever he needed from his doctor.

I guess we'll never know what truly went on, why he was in mental anguish. It could have been from withdrawal. Who knows, though?

His lifestyle wasn't healthy, either, staying up all night gambling and sleeping during the day. Something, obviously, wasn't right in his head. He must have built up a lot of rage to do what he did. As for the pills, who knows how much he took and when? If he was in withdrawal, it seems to me he would be in too much misery to do the things he did. But you never know. These drugs act so differently with different people.

Ashton even mentioned "grandma bashing" occuring because of these pills.  I guess we'll never really know unless he left a diary behind or some letters, etc. Toxicology won't be available for a few weeks, I heard on the news.

Paddock’s brother, Eric Paddock, was similarly confused.

“Something had to happen to Steve – I'm not even trying to excuse it – but something happened that drove him into the pit of hell and he did this,” he told CBS.

And we all continue to scratch our heads..

Keep filling those prescriptions peeps. Or not.