Study, 2011: "Antidepressants, antiplatelets and bleeding: One more thing..."

[La...]

The full title of this Canadian study is "Antidepressants, antiplatelets and bleeding: One more thing to worry about?"

From the study:

"Why might SSRIs be associated with an increased risk of bleeding in patients taking antiplatelet drugs, as suggested by Labos and colleagues?1 The answer lies in the mechanism of action of these drugs, which block the reuptake of serotonin in platelets as well as in neural tissue. As a result, the serotonin content of platelets is reduced, perhaps to as little as 1% of pretreatment values.6 Because serotonin plays an important role in the aggregation of platelets, SSRIs induce a qualitative platelet defect by a mechanism different from that of ASA or clopidogrel."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3216449/

Lapis, I took clopidogrel for awhile. And although I wasn't on an antidepressant, I'm wondering why my platelets went UP so much. They were at 1,800,000 at the time I was taking clopidogrel. I felt like a walking time bomb as I had just had a TIA. I had to get off that drug. The doctor is supposed to give you a test beforehand to see if you can tolerate it. This I found out after the fact. No, he just went ahead and gave it to me. All the time when I'd been on benzos, and for a long time afterward, my platelets hovered around 900,000. I went to hematologists. They didn't know. The last time they were checked, they were at 550,000. I'm wondering if benzos caused something. Unfortunately, they aren't doing much testing on benzos. At least they're starting on ADs.

Hi Terry,

I'm not well-enough versed on that topic to know what the normal platelet range is supposed to be, and it may be different between our two countries. But I keep coming back to the idea that taking medication is like playing with fire. Everyone is different, and our individual genetics determine how we react to things. If you combine medications, then you just increase the chances of side effects, I think. You've got one drug, plus another drug, plus your individual reactions to each one and then the possible interaction between the two.

"A normal platelet count ranges from 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microliter of blood."

This is what the normal count is, and I think that goes for whatever country you live in. You're absolutely right about playing with fire and adding different drugs to the mix. There are so many things to take into account. Genetics plays such a big role as well. I shudder to think of landing in a hospital again, but at least I'll be armed with a lot more knowledge. The thing is, they don't seem to like you asking a bunch of questions about the drugs. That's what I've found, anyway.

Ugh. Heavy sigh. I think we all need to advocate for ourselves, but yes, I'm sure you're right, Terry. They're probably happier if people just keep their mouths shut and do as they're told.

Nope. Not anymore. Not if you've been through benzodiazepine and/or AD withdrawal.