Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Alcohol and instant regret.

[Lo...]

Hi buddies!! Been doing really well lately. Finally hit a windows and waves pattern after 16 months of horrendous torture. Getting more functional over the last few months when not in a wave which are still pretty bad. I even went kitesurfing the day before new years and to my surprise i didnt crash afterwards  :thumbsup:

I havnt had a drink since i started tapering over 2 years ago and thought having an extra light beer on new years would be ok. Nope.... i was wrong. Halfway through my 0.5% beer shit hit the fan- dizzy, anxious, fatigued and that raw nerve feeling that is really hard to describe.

I packed up and went home straight away. Slept half the day feeling rotten and still very rough today.

Goes to show how sensitive our bodies are even when we start to feel better  :-\

Hope you had a good new years anyway and stay off the booze!

I really think it may have been a coincidence. 1/2 of a non alcoholic beer (.4%) is so miniscual in alcohol content. That's like a whole .2% alcohol beer or 1/24 of a regular 12oz beer. I've been able to have 3-6 non-alcoholic beers in a night  every now and then with no issues. The first time I tried was about 3 months after my jump. I'm still having some issues but I don't notice any change when I drink n/a beer. I still am not ready to try anything other than non-alcoholic stuff. Good luck

I really think it may have been a coincidence. 1/2 of a non alcoholic beer (.4%) is so miniscual in alcohol content. That's like a whole .2% alcohol beer or 1/24 of a regular 12oz beer. I've been able to have 3-6 non-alcoholic beers in a night  every now and then with no issues. The first time I tried was about 3 months after my jump. I'm still having some issues but I don't notice any change when I drink n/a beer. I still am not ready to try anything other than non-alcoholic stuff. Good luck

I know my body Eric. This was no coincidence

I know my body Eric. This was no coincidence

Hey you forgot to....

( drop the 🎤 mic ) ......

Next time , don't forget

Thanks for Sharing this , I know everyone's experience is so individual(maybe you can tolerate small amounts of alcohol) but I think how sensitive I am to foods I would most likely react horribly to alcohol as well.So ,though I am sad to hear it sent you into a hellish state. It does offer hindsight for all of us who may be thinking of trying alcohol .

Also I read words of warning on here with a grain of salt but when it comes to alcohol I think that's one subject everyone should head the words people say.  Hope you feel better man , not a great way to start off the new year. Good thing time is just an illusion and really New Year's Day is the same as any other day .

No booze for me sir , I'll stick to ginger tea with honey 

I think its actually the beer itself that throws ppl off and not necessarily the alcohol. I can drink vodka these days and im fine but a couple of beers makes me feel shocking.

I think its actually the beer itself that throws ppl off and not necessarily the alcohol. I can drink vodka these days and im fine but a couple of beers makes me feel shocking.

Shamo's correct I was horrified when I looked up beer a couple of years ago just after I stopped drinking and smoking plus if its in a can the aluminium leaks into it as well.  But that being said the forum is rampant with peole reporting alcohol fkd them up so its best avoid it I believe, there's plenty who said they were absolutely fine drinking then got hit like a bolt out of the blue back into hell  :D

When you drink beer, there is almost a 100% chance that you don’t know what you are drinking (unless you quizzed the beer companies like I did). The ingredients in beer are not required by law to be listed anywhere on the label and manufacturers have no legal obligation to disclose the ingredients.

The Shocking Ingredients In Beer http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Haha Remi should have dropped it  :). It is amazing how WD effects people so differently. I have had no food reactions at all apart from caffine gives me heart palps and thats it. Half a bottle of ultra light beer and boom......... instant wave.

It seriously felt like my brain was starting to melt then instant cogfog, dizziness  and horrible anxiety. Really bizarre,  normally my waves creep in slowly over a few days and this was like someone hit the detonate button  :o

Shamo you could be onto something there, i have had a very small sip of the wifes wine a few times and no ill effects. Probably the equivalent of alcohol as what i drank in that beer. Definitely food for thought.

Either way its not worth it for me considering im only just starting to feel better. It can wait another year i recon.

Hope you all had a great new years!

[64...]

i have had a very small sip of the wifes wine a few times and no ill effects. Probably the equivalent of alcohol as what i drank in that beer. Definitely food for thought.

For me it's the opposite. I had one alcohol-free beer in month 2 and nothing happened. A month later I tried a glass of wine to test the waters and all hell broke loose for a few days. Sufficed to say, I won't be consuming any alcohol for a looooooooong time.

I think this post is a testament to how each one of us are different. I am not a drinking person and last year is I was so sick on the holidays I could not possibly even had one drinking (I'm at 13 months right now). But I decided to have some wine with my Christmas eve dinner and I had about two glasses. It made me feel light headed but in a good way. So when the clock it midnight I had two glasses of champagne which also made me feel OK. I did not get sick at all from it, after sleeping I could not tell anything was different. All the fucked up symptoms I still have were there but they always are. I think each one of us has an individual reaction to everything that is unique. Now I know for sure if I was to overindulge it would be a totally different story and a hangover would be 10 times as painful as a hangover prior to this. I don't believe it was a coincidence for you I think you had a bad reaction to it. I'm not going to start drinking wine or champagne because it made me feel good, that would be a big mistake for sure. I made it this far with no drugs and alcohol I can make it the rest of the way too.

I think this post is a testament to how each one of us are different. I am not a drinking person and last year is I was so sick on the holidays I could not possibly even had one drinking (I'm at 13 months right now). But I decided to have some wine with my Christmas eve dinner and I had about two glasses. It made me feel light headed but in a good way. So when the clock it midnight I had two glasses of champagne which also made me feel OK. I did not get sick at all from it, after sleeping I could not tell anything was different. All the fucked up symptoms I still have were there but they always are. I think each one of us has an individual reaction to everything that is unique. Now I know for sure if I was to overindulge it would be a totally different story and a hangover would be 10 times as painful as a hangover prior to this. I don't believe it was a coincidence for you I think you had a bad reaction to it. I'm not going to start drinking wine or champagne because it made me feel good, that would be a big mistake for sure. I made it this far with no drugs and alcohol I can make it the rest of the way too.

Hi Davis, this might be a bit much to ask but could you please drink a light beer and see how you go?? I have spoken to a few people who think its the beer not the actual alcohol in it making me sick. Other buddies had similar experiences too mine on beer but other alcohol they are fine.

I'm able to tolerate 2 or 3 alcohol drinks now whenever I want but early on I would have a minor uptick in symptoms for a few days to a week. A couple months ago I had a few too many and was thrown off for about a week but nothing too bad. I'm keeping it moderate for a while. Everything in moderation is the key for me at the moment.

[64...]

It might just have been the fizzy gas content reacting with/in your gut  ;)

Shouldn't soft drinks have the same effect then? I drink them all the time and they don't affect me...

I will be happy to have a few beers lockie I can have it with my dinner and see how it affects me. I remember when I was I younger I would go straight to the store after work because I did not want to wait until I got home for a beer. I would be sitting in rush hour enjoying beer. That changed at some point and I quit.

I'm joining this thread as I too tried beer on the holidays and now my nerves are like a raw, live wire.

Now I can't even have my normal cup of coffee that made me feel so good during the painful WD. I won't be making this mistake again. 15 months is a long time, but apparently not long enough.

Feeling stupid.  :tickedoff:

I drank kombucha for 2 weeks during month 6 and it has a tiny trace of alcohol. Like you it sent me back to hell for a whole Month. Felt just like acute. Do NOT UNDERESTIMATE a tiny amount of alcohol.

Just about every time I have had a beer or wine I don't feel too good. There has been an exception or two but mostly I payed for it. I was about 20 months out this summer and had my in-laws over. I had a couple of beers. I felt good for a couple of hours and then felt the typical withdrawal feeling hit me. A month ago, I had a glass of wine. I felt a little weird. The next day I started getting the shakes. It wasn't pleasant! Yes, I think it can have an effect on our neurotransmitters, even this far out!

Lockie it maybe because that u were off alcohol 2 years that the small amount of beer you had made you feel bad emotionally cos u have been off it a while which may have started your symptoms. As you said " instant regret".It could just be psychological. Just a thought. All the best mate    :thumbsup:

Just about every time I have had a beer or wine I don't feel too good. There has been an exception or two but mostly I payed for it. I was about 20 months out this summer and had my in-laws over. I had a couple of beers. I felt good for a couple of hours and then felt the typical withdrawal feeling hit me. A month ago, I had a glass of wine. I felt a little weird. The next day I started getting the shakes. It wasn't pleasant! Yes, I think it can have an effect on our neurotransmitters, even this far out!

Thanks for the examples Camre. It looks like 2017 will be a "dry" year for me. I was shaking this time around too. It's so scary. It's just plain not worth it.

I'm joining this thread as I too tried beer on the holidays and now my nerves are like a raw, live wire.

Now I can't even have my normal cup of coffee that made me feel so good during the painful WD. I won't be making this mistake again. 15 months is a long time, but apparently not long enough.

Feeling stupid.  :tickedoff:

Yes this is exactly it! The raw nerve feeling, i find it really hard to explain but it is really uncomfortable ans seems to come with visual snow a well. Its up there with the worst of the lovely symptoms we have to deal with

I will be happy to have a few beers lockie I can have it with my dinner and see how it affects me. I remember when I was I younger I would go straight to the store after work because I did not want to wait until I got home for a beer. I would be sitting in rush hour enjoying beer. That changed at some point and I quit.

Thanks davis , this will be an interesting experiment. I was sure it was the alcohol but from what other people are saying it could be another ingredient.

Lockie it maybe because that u were off alcohol 2 years that the small amount of beer you had made you feel bad emotionally cos u have been off it a while which may have started your symptoms. As you said " instant regret".It could just be psychological. Just a thought. All the best mate    :thumbsup:

Nope, i was stoked to be having a beer. No guilt associated with it at all.  It was an instant body reaction  and im still paying for it