Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How does one deal with bad exhaustion/lethargy?

[Da...]

Around the first week of this month I got hit by extreme exhaustion, malaise and lethargy. I feel like I could sleep for a good year. I dread having to do anything remotely physical as it drains me completely. I am tied to the sofa, struggling to even sit up straight. Everything gets too much very quickly and I find myself having to lay down after about five minutes. This is incredibly boring. How do you deal with this?. How do you manage basic tasks?. How do you resolve the arguments with others that arrise from not being able to manage even small tasks?. I'm at a desperate loss.  :'(

I'm not sure Dapple, but I do know that at several different times on this journey, I went from very, very wired & tired  to just very, very tired...and I regarded that as progress. (that I was able to 'come down from' utter and complete exhaustion, to just exhaustion!)

At this stage, there have been so many symptoms along with new symptoms, changing every day, that nothing surprises me any more. I just go with it.

There will never be any way to convince people who "don't get it" to get it. It has to be one of those "agree to disagree" situations. I'm sure it is understood at some level within the other person's capacity to understand anything. I've let that go too.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just go with it all with complete acceptance. Feeling tired and unable? Then be tired and unable... like all of the other ups & downs, this will not last forever; it is just a temporary, transient "normal".

One day, little by little and hardly noticed by you, it will have evaporated and floated away without you realising it has disappeared - until you are vigorously engaged in something and have a sudden insight/memory of how things once were :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Im In the lethargy exhausted malaise phase too, I just accept....But ITS boring and i feel I can watch the life just passing by....bye bye byeee👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼 😑 Accept accept and accept... if I may recomend an app: headspace 🎈

Thanks. I guess a lot of this is about acceptance, something I've never been that good at. I suppose it's better than head pressure, I've not had that much at all since the end of last month. I get it a bit at period time, or if I get really stressed, but it's more like a headache than constant pressure. It seems that once one symptom lets up, another takes it's place. I just feel trapped in my body right now and a bit 'lost'.

May I ask how long these two sxs lasted for you?.

Elbette I'm going to check that app out, thanks  :thumbsup:

Hi Dapple, I think from the beginning After jumping I had on and of fatigue, Lethargy with severe depression and flat feeling I had In extreme 3-4 days, that depression scared me, I never experienced anything so dark I haven't had that since, now I'm just In a plain fatigue state, whenever I do little I feel exhausted. Some days more than others, I think Its been a core symptom all since In tolerance 2-3 years back. Depression is more like a sad feeling because of the state I'm in, I think that what we are going through would even  make a stone a little depressed

Actually I dont understand when people talk about Windows, how they feel completely  normal, I haven't felt 100% normal since before tapering....

I have some days better than others, where I can walk a little longer with my dog, Max 30-45 min. The malease fatigue are always there....

But if we think about what we are going through even a stone  Again would be exhausted.

My worst symptom now among small others is the neck pain, But i think that is one of my core symptoms too, had that also since tolerance started.

I feel so very much for you,  but I'm sure we will get through  this ❤

Hi Dapple, I think from the beginning After jumping I had on and of fatigue, Lethargy with severe depression and flat feeling I had In extreme 3-4 days, that depression scared me, I never experienced anything so dark I haven't had that since, now I'm just In a plain fatigue state, whenever I do little I feel exhausted. Some days more than others, I think Its been a core symptom all since In tolerance 2-3 years back. Depression is more like a sad feeling because of the state I'm in, I think that what we are going through would even  make a stone a little depressed

Actually I dont understand when people talk about Windows, how they feel completely  normal, I haven't felt 100% normal since before tapering....

I have some days better than others, where I can walk a little longer with my dog, Max 30-45 min. The malease fatigue are always there....

But if we think about what we are going through even a stone  Again would be exhausted.

My worst symptom now among small others is the neck pain, But i think that is one of my core symptoms too, had that also since tolerance started.

I feel so very much for you,  but I'm sure we will get through  this ❤

This is exactly how I feel. I'm not depressed from stopping Benzos, I'm down from feeling sick all the time and not being able to do the things I enjoy anymore. I like your comparison to a stone too. Very true. I've had about two ok days since I jumped. I had about six hours a couple of months ago when my worst sxs died down a bit, but they've never truly gone away either. Very confusing isn't it.

It is indeed sooo damn unfair and confusing  :P

Right now I had a minor preassure in my ear  and 4 seconds of tinnitus, I do see dampening in symptoms...4 sec hallelujaaaahhh

To talk about something funny, I have one symptom I actually like  It's the burning feverish all warm feeling in my body, I sweat all the time and I'm so glorious hottie ☺ It has to be mentioned that I always sleep with two duvets and freeze easily...I just love ❤️ that symptom I hope  it will stay with me foreverrrr

It is indeed sooo damn unfair and confusing  :P

Right now I had a minor preassure in my ear  and 4 seconds of tinnitus, I do see dampening in symptoms...4 sec hallelujaaaahhh

To talk about something funny, I have one symptom I actually like  It's the burning feverish all warm feeling in my body, I sweat all the time and I'm so glorious hottie ☺ It has to be mentioned that I always sleep with two duvets and freeze easily...I just love ❤️ that symptom I hope  it will stay with me foreverrrr

I had that pretty bad in acute, I was changing my clothes like three times a day. I personally hated it lol. Not so bad in winter I suppose. I feel the cold quite badly, always have, more so post Benzos. Now I only get flushed if I get stressed or do to much. My tinnitus seems to be quieting down a bit too. I had about five tones of tinnitus in my right ear, now I only have two and it's not so bad. I wonder if that is related to the head pressure?.

I think it's related...have u read the parkers post "what's happening in your brain" by the way?

It made me finally relax a lot about all the symptoms🎈 There's a link to it in my signature!

Did or do u have neck pain?

I think it's related...have u read the parkers post "what's happening in your brain" by the way?

It made me finally relax a lot about all the symptoms🎈 There's a link to it in my signature!

Did or do u have neck pain?

Yeah, I have read it :)

I don't have neck pain, but I do have a lot of tingling in my neck, mainly at night for some strange reason.

I seem to have gotten all of this arse-backwards :)

My absolutely worst symptoms seem to have been "frontloaded" and were from Nov 2015 to about April 2016 while I was still on benzos...From April onwards, they were still hellish and relentless, but by that time I was self-tapering, acting only on my own hunch. I've never been able to understand the "withdrawal phase" and what is "acute" and what isn't, when people talk about it.

Apart from seizures, hallucinations and psychosis in general, I've had every symptom on the list - and a few more that aren't on it.

Insomnia was absolute for at least 10 months and probably longer from the bit I'm not counting, interrupted only by scrappy, night-marish naps. Wired and tired, outright fatigue was huge, Dapple. I was bedridden and couldn't stand/walk and couldn't sleep either because of that "snap awake alert-alert" thing we all have. But I do remember at least at two different phases feeling a difference amounting to being less wired and getting "a step up" to just total exhaustion.

I've had the neck too. It was locked-on tension for months and months, particularly after lying down, and it's still there in the mornings now, though not as locked. The intensity comes and goes.

It seems to me too that on different days, for no particular reason, one or another symptom is dominant - so, today it could be a very strong agoraphobic feeling (grabbing all my attention) and yesterday it might have been fatigue & nausea and tomorrow it might be neither of those (so much) but something else....

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!! :) :)

FizzleWitch, thinking back over the last year tapering, I'm starting to realize that I had a lot of the symptoms I have now in withdrawal.  Some were strong, others were underneath the surface.  It was a debilitating taper.

Hiya Re

Yeah, I can't "get it" that there's any particular symptomatic demarcation between time tapering and time in withdrawal after tapering... as I was saying, my worst symptomatic period was pre-taper.

There was tiny, subtle improvement from roughly the time I began tapering onwards, but I couldn't feel that there was any improvement happening day-to-day. My only reference was hindsight and looking back over the trend - of months - to be able to see any difference.

Not outta the woods yet, either! :)

Thanks for all the advice and input everyone. I honestly can't say I have a symptom that can beat these two now. It's terrible, I haven't even sat up much tonight. 2017 has just arrived here, same crap, different year.  ::)