Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What do people Eat!

[Tr...]

What do people eat? 

I have found that I have no appettite, and scared to eat much of anything because it will rev my sxs up.  I need to gain weight, bad.

With the no sugar, msg or gluten there isn't much left. 

Try

[14...]

What do people eat? 

I have found that I have no appettite, and scared to eat much of anything because it will rev my sxs up.  I need to gain weight, bad.

With the no sugar, msg or gluten there isn't much left. 

Try

I eat what I can at the moment. I lost a lot of weight. I was talking to a dietician and got some drinks with is full of energy. And I start to put on weight again. It is a complement to food. Some days I just could drink this. In Sweden the name is Fresubin I don't know if u got it in the US?

I was at 87 lbs at the very beginning of all this which was quite serious. My doctor gave me Remeron for 3 reasons. Hopefully to gain weight (I did but now trying to cut back on food), to sleep and to quell some anxiety. It worked. But if that's not an option I'd simply eat whatever you can when you can and buy some ensure to drink as often as you can on top of what you can eat. It might help. I became afraid of eating because like you it seemed to rev up my anxiety but when I simply ate anyway I found those sxs lasted only about half an hour. Racing heart, shakes etc. So it was more important to eat than have 30 minutes of anxiety. B

I was at 87 lbs at the very beginning of all this which was quite serious. My doctor gave me Remeron for 3 reasons. Hopefully to gain weight (I did but now trying to cut back on food), to sleep and to quell some anxiety. It worked. But if that's not an option I'd simply eat whatever you can when you can and buy some ensure to drink as often as you can on top of what you can eat. It might help. I became afraid of eating because like you it seemed to rev up my anxiety but when I simply ate anyway I found those sxs lasted only about half an hour. Racing heart, shakes etc. So it was more important to eat than have 30 minutes of anxiety. B

How much weight were you able to gain? 

When I c/t'd off 2mg of Klonopin 2 years ago (probably one of the dumbest things I've ever done), I would go DAYS without eating. I lost my sense of taste and smell. I finally resorted to forcing myself to drink Ensure - and even that was tough to get down. But I knew I had to provide my body nourishment or I'd just get sicker. It worked and I turned a corner shortly after that.

Now that I'm 15 days out from jumping after a 2-month taper (still probably fairly rapid), I have to force myself to eat, and am eating yogurt in the morning, a can of soup at lunch, and then a couple bites of dinner. I just know that I have to keep my body nourished, so I don't develop any deficiencies which can cause problems themselves.

When I c/t'd off 2mg of Klonopin 2 years ago (probably one of the dumbest things I've ever done), I would go DAYS without eating. I lost my sense of taste and smell. I finally resorted to forcing myself to drink Ensure - and even that was tough to get down. But I knew I had to provide my body nourishment or I'd just get sicker. It worked and I turned a corner shortly after that.

Now that I'm 15 days out from jumping after a 2-month taper (still probably fairly rapid), I have to force myself to eat, and am eating yogurt in the morning, a can of soup at lunch, and then a couple bites of dinner. I just know that I have to keep my body nourished, so I don't develop any deficiencies which can cause problems themselves.

Do you find certain foods rev you up?  I always thought what you ate would mess up your healing. 

Since your jump do you feel any emotional blunting or dp/dr?  Protein drinks seem to be high in sugar. 

I also have lost over 60 lbs. and have no appetite whatsoever anymore.  When I eat I also get reved up so I hate to eat because of that.  I just had an Ensure an hr ago and it only revved me for about 1/2 hr so that is a little better.  I find that at night I can eat something but after going so long without eating my stomach has shrunk and can't eat normal portions.  I am also in so much pain and have burning neuropathy in feet, urinary area and tongue.  I am holding right now but I have to do something as I am fadinng away and can hardly walk anymore from being couchbound.  So so sick.  I try to eat some protein at every meal and I always eat a yogurt in the morning also.  My D level is very low and my sodium was low at last check.  I am eating eggs for dinner alot now because they have so much protein.  Its ironic, I was too heavy when I started all this but never wanted to lose all this weight this way, being so sick.  My skin is saggy and wrinkly, i look like crap.  I'm thinkig of going back to ativan, will discuss with Dr. when I see him in Jan.  Valium taper started all this for me. I was fine before Valium.  Hope you feel better.

I gained roughly 30 lbs because I was craving sugar and carbs. Boy did I enjoy myself but now I'm eating much more sensibly and the excess weight is starting to come off. My normal weight was around 112 so I enjoyed myself a bit too much.  I do think it wouldn't hurt to try Ensure though. The revving up part can be miserable but honestly so is starving. I'd try very small meals with an added on Ensure after each. It's has nutrients etc so no harm in trying. B

I gained roughly 30 lbs because I was craving sugar and carbs. Boy did I enjoy myself but now I'm eating much more sensibly and the excess weight is starting to come off. My normal weight was around 112 so I enjoyed myself a bit too much.  I do think it wouldn't hurt to try Ensure though. The revving up part can be miserable but honestly so is starving. I'd try very small meals with an added on Ensure after each. It's has nutrients etc so no harm in trying. B

Was that with the Remeron?

Edit: Fixed quote

Depends on why you dont eat. Personally, my symptoms are worse when I dont eat enough calories especially, regardless of quality. I eat pretty healthy, eggs, chicken, rice, vegetables, sandwiches, but the greasy mcdonalds and unhealthy stuff is typically the foods that really satiate me.

But if you're losing weight and nothing works, you really can't beat shakes. There is nothing easier to get down than liquids, they are easy to blend, and you can put on whatever you want. Peanut butter, nuts, milk, protein powder, berries, bananas, anything.  And they taste great. Don't worry if you're getting most of your cals from liquids or eat some unhealthy things to help your symptoms. I don't anyways, because I'm pretty active and exercise regularly anyways

Depends on why you dont eat. Personally, my symptoms are worse when I dont eat enough calories especially, regardless of quality. I eat pretty healthy, eggs, chicken, rice, vegetables, sandwiches, but the greasy mcdonalds and unhealthy stuff is typically the foods that really satiate me.

But if you're losing weight and nothing works, you really can't beat shakes. There is nothing easier to get down than liquids, they are easy to blend, and you can put on whatever you want. Peanut butter, nuts, milk, protein powder, berries, bananas, anything.  And they taste great. Don't worry if you're getting most of your cals from liquids or eat some unhealthy things to help your symptoms. I don't anyways, because I'm pretty active and exercise regularly anyways

Why don't I eat?  Good question....  I think it has to do with my intense sxs making me feel unwell and severe dp/dr.  For a while my taste was really off. Think I'm stuck in so PTSD thing I can't shake. Constant fight or flight mode, adrenaline.  Before this I was...chunkie.  I'm 5'7" used to weigh 160, now 133.

I force myself to eat porridge with cinnamon and soymilk every morning. It's a struggle but necessary.

During the day I just eat what I can, my anxiety get worse while eating.

Yougurt, fruits, nuts, salad, grilled salmon with lemon, rice, bread. Water, water and water.

Magnesium, vitamin D, B6 and B12.

Lost alot of weight but that was expected.

Yes the weight gain I'm sure was the Remeron so now I have to be more careful. But, my appetite has slowed way down but not yet to the point of reaching my goal of 112 unfortunately. Still taking the Remeron though or I'd never sleep. Have you tried smoothies? Liquid but you can fill them full of extremely nourishing ingredients. Yummy. Liquids seem easier for me but if I'm hungry I eat. Right now that's what's important. I'm just trying hard to not eat as many surgery things. Chips ahoy cookies were my downfall.  Don't buy them anymore. But seriously you need to try and eat. If you can tolerate vitamins that might help. Not eating in the end I think causes more problems so if needed try forcing just bits at a time. Tiny amounts. B

Why don't I eat?  Good question....  I think it has to do with my intense sxs making me feel unwell and severe dp/dr.  For a while my taste was really off. Think I'm stuck in so PTSD thing I can't shake. Constant fight or flight mode, adrenaline.  Before this I was...chunkie.  I'm 5'7" used to weigh 160, now 133.

So it sounds like you don't eat more because you don't have an appetite, not because eating revs up symptoms.

I would highly recommend a multivitamin (I use NOW foods ADAM multivitamin, the entire brand is amazing) and perhaps blend some of your own shakes. They are very cheap to make, great for you, taste good, and you can make them contain a wide range of calories from sub-100cal to  thousands  (1k-2k).

Let me know if you'd like any more info or some recipes, shakes saved me when I couldn't eat solid food or didn't have the energy to cook something healthy. I also have a blood sugar issue so not eating fckd me over even more.

So it sounds like you don't eat more because you don't have an appetite, not because eating revs up symptoms.

I would highly recommend a multivitamin (I use NOW foods ADAM multivitamin, the entire brand is amazing) and perhaps blend some of your own shakes. They are very cheap to make, great for you, taste good, and you can make them contain a wide range of calories from sub-100cal to  thousands  (1k-2k).

Let me know if you'd like any more info or some recipes, shakes saved me when I couldn't eat solid food or didn't have the energy to cook something healthy. I also have a blood sugar issue so not eating fckd me over even more.

Ok, thanks.

great question I normally weigh 160 but down to 132 and having a very difficult time holding that weight. Remember that WS's affect the digestion as the sympathetic nervous system tends to shut down the digestion so some foods are harder to digest.

I try to consume some high caloric liquid nutrition  also too much protein can ramp up symptoms as too much sugar. Its a balancing act all the way. One other note IMO eat smaller more frequent meals. Were all in this together as an actor once said.

I had awful nausea whilst stabilising after reinstatement I drank weight gain supplements from my protein three or four times a day and ate boiled eggs and often not a lot else - I ended up only losing a pound in weight which was a surprise then my dr gave me cyclizine which I barely use now as my appetite is back since I started tapering, but it's good stuff and does not affect Gaba receptors