Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Please somebody respond!

[...]

I just entered my 12th month yesterday. Literally woke up the day before my beginning of my second year feeling ok. Not good. Just okay. By the way, I have never had real windows. I have always been in waves. Just intense or not so intense. Oddly enough throughout all of this I have been able to live somewhat of a life although suffering. My suffering has never been so debilitating that I am 100% flatlined. I don't know why seeing that I came off FAST. I have yet to hear of someone in the recovery groups that came off fast and was not flat-lined with many horrible symptoms. Thought I was just "lucky."

Now fast forward to the day before my one year anniversary. Woke up okay. I was so optimistic. As the day went own I began to feel symptoms. They got really bad and stayed bad. I also got very different yet somewhat similar symptoms.

Ever since then my symptoms seem to be getting more and more intense. I have intense back symptoms. Like energy is moving front the base of my neck, down the whole of my back, onto my feet. Like that whole area. My walking is not as strong and I have stiffness. I also have pressure at the sides of my face. All of this feels WAY more intense than the first 12 months. WAY

Could I be getting worse? Can we get worse in the second year? Are there people like this.

Logically no, you can't get worse as time goes by as far as central nervous system healing (unless you take benzodiazepines again or drink significant amounts of alcohol). 

However, it can certainly feel like it at times.  Generally it's due to stress, any sort of physical, mental or emotional stress, even happy stuff.  The central nervous system remains sensitive for much longer than we think is reasonable for an otherwise healthy person.

Do whatever you can to pamper yourself for a few days, relax, avoid stress as much as you can.  This will pass.

:smitten:

Thank you Challis!

I have not had benzos-HELL NO. GOT OFF THAT CRAP TO BE SEEN NVER AGAIN-No alcohol since even before I knew I was taking Benzos and needed to get off. No real stress in my life. I eat 100% all organic-not that it matters-food.

There are a few people in the FB groups who said they got worse in their second year. Don't know what to think. Why would they say it is so, when it's not.

This is scaring me!

Noone here got worse in their second year that you know of?

I just read my signature and it basically shows that I tapered FAST. Not every detail but the timeline shows a fast taper.

Thank you again Challis!

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you Ang. :smitten:

I am in a nasty nasty wave then, can we say?

Are you in the FB groups? I have seen people say they got worse i their second year.  There was even a guy-haven't been on in a long time-that said he got worse in the third year. What to believe.

Thank you Challis!

I have not had benzos-HELL NO. GOT OFF THAT CRAP TO BE SEEN NVER AGAIN-No alcohol since even before I knew I was taking Benzos and needed to get off. No real stress in my life. I eat 100% all organic-not that it matters-food.

There are a few people in the FB groups who said they got worse in their second year. Don't know what to think. Why would they say it is so, when it's not.

This is scaring me!

Noone here got worse in their second year that you know of?

I just read my signature and it basically shows that I tapered FAST. Not every detail but the timeline shows a fast taper.

Thank you again Challis!

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I'm sure they probably think they do feel worse, particularly during long waves, or perhaps have forgotten how bad it was in their initial few months off benzodiazepines.  I've been part of FB groups, too, and I don't think anyone would say they felt worse if they didn't believe it.  The benzo community in general is pretty supportive and to the best of their knowledge/memory, honest and forthright.

Benzodiazepines aren't a cure for anything, so pre-existing conditions can return.  Possibly that plays a part in feeling worse after initially feeling better.  Trying to do too much too soon can cause setbacks.  Alcohol (and sometimes people do use alcohol to deal with symptoms but don't want to admit to it...not you, I'm not saying that, but a few people do) can cause true setbacks in healing.  Life stressors can cause upticks in symptoms due to the central nervous system's continued sensitivity in the second year.

The big picture is that our bodies will heal despite whatever else we do... except for benzo and alcohol use, which can (and probably will) cause concrete setbacks to the nervous system.

The rest is likely our central nervous system's temporary inability to deal with stress.

I don't know of many who got worse but symptoms shift and change, we have been at it for a year and are exhausted, and waves can still be bad as day one so it may seem worse.  Nothing to do but keep your head down and plow forward.  I feel much better now in year one or two but it is slow.

I don't know of many who got worse but symptoms shift and change, we have been at it for a year and are exhausted, and waves can still be bad as day one so it may seem worse.  Nothing to do but keep your head down and plow forward.  I feel much better now in year one or two but it is slow.

Yes, this too.  Thanks, Drew.

I sure hope you are correct. I do feel awful. And although I never want to say this, I think some people who say they don't drink perhaps do drink.

Thank you so very much

Yes, I am in the FB groups and I don't believe all those stories. I've looked closer and seen negative attitudes, other medications and alcohol involved. So... I keep my eye on the 99% of people who heal and try to say prayers for the 1% who are not there yet.

Yes, I am in the FB groups and I don't believe all those stories. I've looked closer and seen negative attitudes, other medications and alcohol involved. So... I keep my eye on the 99% of people who heal and try to say prayers for the 1% who are not there yet.

How are you doing? I see you are almost one year out. Would you say you are healed? have you new symptoms?

[a3...]

Hi Gia,

So sorry you are still having symptoms. I think we all heal eventually, but it can take a long time, especially if you withdrew quickly. My thoughts are with you this holiday season.

Much love,

CP

How are you doing? I see you are almost one year out. Would you say you are healed? have you new symptoms?

Heck no I am not healed. I feel about 75% most days. I have bad balance and dizziness issues still and horrible vision problems. I have varying levels of fear and anxiety still mostly around my cycle. I still have phobias and irrational thoughts and tinnitus.

Hi Gia,

So sorry you are still having symptoms. I think we all heal eventually, but it can take a long time, especially if you withdrew quickly. My thoughts are with you this holiday season.

Much love,

CP

Hi Chess! Glad to hear from you. Merry Christmas  :-* Are you off now? How are you?

Heck no I am not healed. I feel about 75% most days. I have bad balance and dizziness issues still and horrible vision problems. I have varying levels of fear and anxiety still mostly around my cycle. I still have phobias and irrational thoughts and tinnitus.

Sorry to hear.  :-\ Hope we heal soon.  :smitten:

Don't listen to negative stuff. I got much better in year 2

Thank you. How far into year two would you say you were healed? Thank you

I was not healed that year, but the symptoms got to where they were an annoyance more than a disruption. It was gradual.

Don't listen to negative stuff. I got much better in year 2

Thank you. How far into year two would you say you were healed? Thank you

I was not healed that year, but the symptoms got to where they were an annoyance more than a disruption. It was gradual.

Thanks for responding. Appreciate it.