Important Survey - Please Participate ×

3 Years benzo and all pharmaceutical free.

[ph...]

I'm 3 years off a forced cold turkey.

I was prescribed from Xanax/alprazolam 6mg daily prescribed for almost 20 years.

3 years ago I couldn't remember how to take a shower.  Now I can remember advanced dance choreography and perform successfully on stage, after only a years dance training.

From my experience benzos cause brain injury not brain damage.

I still experience strong Benzo withdrawal symptoms daily.

The not-so-secret to this successful cognitive recovery is learning how to relax as a skill.

I use YouTube to learn things such as progressive muscle relaxation exercises, passive muscle relaxation, yoga nidra relaxation and guided meditation relaxation.

Tai chi and qigong are also a big help  for learning how to relax while moving.

I still practice them 4 or 5 times a day to control and manage symptoms.

I'm 55 years of age and started partner dancing as therapy a year ago.

Relaxation  therapy, dance therapy, music therapy, regular daily exercise, mostly walking, and a strict healthy diet are the keys to this success and to remaining pharmaceutical free for 3 years now.

Like any skill, relaxation requires practice, preferably daily, at least twice weekly.

Positive effects and health benefits are experienced within weeks of commencing relaxation training. :)

Edit: Prescriptive content removed.

Congrats on your victory!  I hope the remainder of your symptoms go away.  The part of your post that hit home for me was the not 'remembering how to shower' part.  When I experienced this I knew something was screwy in the upstairs department.  I felt how can a person not remember something so routine as a shower?  But the struggle is real.

Thank you SO much for posting - gives all of us hope - that everyone does truly heal..........

Wishing you a wonderful holiday season  (((HUGS)))  :thumbsup:

Your post is fantastic!  I'm so happy for you!  I love your advice!  Thanks so much for sharing this.

I wish you every joy in the world,

Freida

Well done! I hope you have a great xmas and all the best in 2017. Thankyou for your advice..I just took a screenshot and will adopt some of these practices to help relax.