Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

3 Years benzo and all pharmaceutical free.

[ph...]

I'm 3 years off a forced cold turkey.

I was prescribed from Xanax/alprazolam 6mg daily prescribed for almost 20 years.

3 years ago I couldn't remember how to take a shower.  Now I can remember advanced dance choreography and perform successfully on stage, after only a years dance training.

From my experience benzos cause brain injury not brain damage.

I still experience strong Benzo withdrawal symptoms daily.

The not-so-secret to this successful cognitive recovery is learning how to relax as a skill.

I use YouTube to learn things such as progressive muscle relaxation exercises, passive muscle relaxation, yoga nidra relaxation and guided meditation relaxation.

Tai chi and qigong are also a big help  for learning how to relax while moving.

I still practice them 4 or 5 times a day to control and manage symptoms.

I'm 55 years of age and started partner dancing as therapy a year ago.

Relaxation  therapy, dance therapy, music therapy, regular daily exercise, mostly walking, and a strict healthy diet are the keys to this success and to remaining pharmaceutical free for 3 years now.

Like any skill, relaxation requires practice, preferably daily, at least twice weekly.

Positive effects and health benefits are experienced within weeks of commencing relaxation training. :)

Edit: Prescriptive content removed.

Congrats on your victory!  I hope the remainder of your symptoms go away.  The part of your post that hit home for me was the not 'remembering how to shower' part.  When I experienced this I knew something was screwy in the upstairs department.  I felt how can a person not remember something so routine as a shower?  But the struggle is real.

Thank you SO much for posting - gives all of us hope - that everyone does truly heal..........

Wishing you a wonderful holiday season  (((HUGS)))  :thumbsup:

Your post is fantastic!  I'm so happy for you!  I love your advice!  Thanks so much for sharing this.

I wish you every joy in the world,

Freida

Well done! I hope you have a great xmas and all the best in 2017. Thankyou for your advice..I just took a screenshot and will adopt some of these practices to help relax.