Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Diazepam and alcohol dependant a and need advice please

[Sa...]

Alcohol dependant for 15 years (usually a bottle of full strength wine dailyand for the last 8 months have been using up to 10mgs of diazepam daily. Can I still use diazepam to withdraw from alcohol and taper to my usual dose then begin the slow taper from diazepam? I never realised diazepam was addictive. I am by nature very anxious and suffer panic attacks.

Hi  :) Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I am glad you found us today. Diazapam i highly addictive. It really should not be taken past a few weeks for a variety of reasons. One being they can be difficult to withdraw from and a taper should be done with use past that. The recommended reduction rate is 5 to 10 percent every two weeks.

You might like to check out The Ashton Manual it is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field. 

Please feel free to post to any of the dedicated boards, we have a wonderful community of people here, who will give sound advice. Members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal and are more than willing to share their experiences.

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support During Your Taper

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again Welcome!  :smitten:

benzos-R-cruel

HI Sad Mum,

Welcome to the forum but sorry for the reason we all need to be here.

In my opinion, you probably should get off the alcohol first.  It is a good idea to be totally abstinent while going through benzo withdrawal and for a time afterwards since alcohol acts on the nervous system in a similar manner as the benzos.  Once you have done that, then you could start a slow and consistent taper from the valium.  SLOW and CONSISTENT is the key. 

Please continue to post and ask questions.  There are a lot of supportive kind knowledgeable people here ready to help you as you go through this.  You ae not alone!  I'm sending you positive vibes for hope and help and the strength to hold on tight for the journey.

:smitten:

She

HI Sad Mum,

Welcome to the forum but sorry for the reason we all need to be here.

In my opinion, you probably should get off the alcohol first.  It is a good idea to be totally abstinent while going through benzo withdrawal and for a time afterwards since alcohol acts on the nervous system in a similar manner as the benzos.  Once you have done that, then you could start a slow and consistent taper from the valium.  SLOW and CONSISTENT is the key. 

Please continue to post and ask questions.  There are a lot of supportive kind knowledgeable people here ready to help you as you go through this.  You ae not alone!  I'm sending you positive vibes for hope and help and the strength to hold on tight for the journey.

She

Thank you so much for the kind advice and support. A typical day is was waking with withdrawal and needing a drink. 8 months ago a friend gave me Diazepam and I would take 5mg and it would hold off withdrawal  until lunchtime. I would then start drinking slowly until 8pm usually a bottle to bottle and a glass of red wine and felt great, although I would keep waking during the night with hot sweats. The diazepam increased to 7.5mg and eventually 10mg these last few months. Not knowing what to do9because I know I need to get off the alcohol first) I took 15mg yesterday and reduced my alcohol by a third. I took another 5mg at 1am as I couldn't sleep and slept 6 hours. I woke and have had 10mg and started drinking at lunchtime again. I plan to drink the same reduced amount as yesterday and take another 5mg at bedtime. Tomorrow I plan to take 7.5mg in the morning, drink the same reduced amount and another 5mg at bedtime. Next day 5mg in Morning, drink the same reduced amount of alcohol and the 5mg at bedtime. Can I go back to the 10mg without feeling any ill effects after such a short time. I will then concentrate on reducing the alcohol slowly until alcohol free and then concentrate on the diazepam taper. I find Im in a nightmare. 3 kids, 4 grandchildren and a full time job!!!

Hi Sad Mum,

Good for you in determining you need to get off the alcohol and valium.  Do you have a doctor that you trust who can help guide you through your alcohol and benzo withdrawal?  That would be ideal.  If not, you will need to do a slow and steady withdrawal yourself.  You can try to go back down to your usual 10 mgm of Valium and see how it goes.  This is just my opinion but you must decide what is best for you.  You might want to go to the Withdrawal Support board and post questions about tapering both the alcohol and the Valium.  You are likely to get more answers from people who have gone through the same or similar things and can support and advise you.  Hang in there Sad Mum, you will get there!

She

I cold turkeyd a fifth of Vodka a day in my drinking days. Drank like that for about 5 years daily. It took 2-3 days for me to be okay after stopping, but I was. Best decision I've ever made, haven't had a drink in years now and honestly am not even tempted to, because I had felt the pain of where my alcoholism. I used to think I had severe anxiety during those days but I realize now that it was from being addicted to alcohol. You can stop the booze and take your normal Valium dose instead, that's how they would do it in a detox. The only thing you really have to worry about in alcohol withdrawal are seizures, and the Valium is the solution to that problem. Get to an aa meeting asap, they will help you with your drinking, keeping you busy socially and creating a support system. The Valium you can taper slowly to minimize symptoms

• 3 weeks later...

I knew I wasn't going to be in for an easy time!!! Family problems and acute stress kept me at a bottle and a half of red wine. I am now counting units with a bottle being 10. I went from 15 to 14 the first night and really felt it. The 10 mg of diazepam the next morning didn't hold me for as long as usual so I drank earlier but managed to drop another unit. But as I was on xmas hols from work I was able to laze around, I dropped to 12 units and again drank earlier. I stuck to the 12 units for a second night and still feel terrible. Usually my bp and heart rate go up and I know its time for a drink, but this time just my bp is going up. I normally have my last glass of wine around 7pm and tried taking 5 mg of diazepam before I went to bed then another 5mg the next morning thinking that may be better than having the whole 10 on a morning but that didn't work.......

Sooo want to be of both the alcohol and pills and realise the alcohol has to go first, I am being controlled by poisons >:(