Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

New York and Pennsylvania issuing warnings

[Ms...]

It's pdfs calling out benzos. They say don't prescribe more than 2-4 weeks. It's more on the original prescribing cessation than the nasty wd focused.

Maybe it's based on that NYC Public Health department piece that I posted a few days ago. It was excellent! I think it should be used as a template across North America.

Maybe it's based on that NYC Public Health department piece that I posted a few days ago. It was excellent! I think it should be used as a template across North America.

Sounds the same, Pennsylvania did something similar, both referencing Ashton!

Yep, these are the ones that were posted in the last few days. I think the NYC is the best -- more comprehensive info, references to withdrawal, warnings about interactions with other meds, many references and links, etc.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. It's there in print -- 2 to 4 weeks maximum. A brochure like that should be included with all benzo prescriptions. This never would have happened to me had I known that was the appropriate time frame. I'm sure it's the same with pretty much everyone here on BB. None of us knew.

Yes. New York is thorough. I hope people print these out and show their prescriber if they're having trouble being believed.

Just read them both and the NYC one is spectacular. Very thorough. I noticed they referenced a document from JPS (John Peter Smith) Hospital which is the county hospital in Fort Worth where I live. My housekeeper had to take her husband to the ER there and they treated him as if he were a drug addict because he brought his blood pressure meds to show them what he was taking and was also thin from chronic illness. Apparently they only dispense medications in packets of powder there so patients can't hoard pills.They went to fill their prescriptions at the hospital pharmacy and when they came out there were people asking to buy their drugs! So anyway, big drug problem here. It's just interesting to me that NYC would reference us lol.

That's fine but sadly some people become physically dependent in days not weeks so can then as a result of this policy be left to suffer cold turkey as there will be no tapering in these timescales...

If it's 2-4 weeks, then that should INCLUDE the taper. I've read about this previously, and that's the recommendation. Total time should not exceed four weeks.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. It's there in print -- 2 to 4 weeks maximum. A brochure like that should be included with all benzo prescriptions. This never would have happened to me had I known that was the appropriate time frame. I'm sure it's the same with pretty much everyone here on BB. None of us knew.

I honestly got sick off the first dose, but it was an IV.  But I think this would help 90% here, and leaving me on them for years certainly did not aid me.  It would have been much simpler to come off .5 mg of Ativan than 4 mg of Ativan.  But since they do not know, their solution was add more, and I didn't know because I didn't even google back then.  By the time I knew it was too late.  Preventing future injury is great, and must happen but another aim of BIC is finding out what's going on and helping people who are injured now.  If they're going to start doing that on our their own, our jobs certainly got easier! 

If it's 2-4 weeks, then that should INCLUDE the taper. I've read about this previously, and that's the recommendation. Total time should not exceed four weeks.

Lapis, I don't think they make that clear at all.  This is from the NY one: "If benzodiazepines are indicated, prescribe the lowest effective dose for the shortest duration—no more than 2 to 4 weeks."

They don't specifically spell out that tapering is included.

That's fine but sadly some people become physically dependent in days not weeks so can then as a result of this policy be left to suffer cold turkey as there will be no tapering in these timescales...

I agree with the above statement. But it's a genuine start to have the 2-4 week period for taking the benzos. However, I think that there will be a lot who will take the pills within that time and still suffer. Maybe if they're told to go slowly in tapering, they won't. But doctors have to be aware that this issue WILL pop up. And they need to be prepared to handle it.

I know the NYC piece doesn't clarify that the taper should be included, but if someone thinks it through and understands that benzos need to be tapered, then that's how they should be doing it. Of course, there are absolutely no guarantees that people wouldn't still suffer with such a plan, but it's way better than what happened to you and me and the rest of us here.

The exit plan should be discussed as part of the entrance plan. That is, when the doctor offers the first prescription, s/he should also discuss how the person will get off the medication safely.

Here's a quote from the NYC document:

"A taper schedule is strongly recommended and clinically appropriate versus refusing continuation of this

medication (Resources for Providers: Dose Reduction Plans)"

There are a number of links provided for info about "Dose Reduction Plans".

Even if it's not perfect, I still believe this NYC piece is one of the best I've seen.

I agree with you, the NYC piece is one of the best I've seen.

Well, we'll have to wait and see how they do tapers. If I were a doctor, I'd look at the 2-4 weeks thinking that the patient can be on the benzo that long, then they'd be tapering afterward. That is a question mark in my mind.

BUT this is a wonderful piece, no doubt about it!