Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

ConcernedDaughter

[Co...]

My Mom is 85 years old. 6 years ago she was prescribed 5 mg pax in the evening and 20 mg Lorien in the morning. The state clinic added 5 mg of pax last year to take in morning. For the last 4 months chemists in South Africa did not receive any pax and we are on our last 20 pax ( I will be able to get a few more Betapam) My concern is 1.  State clinics will not issue Pax any more 2. we will not be able to get it from chemists with prescription as there are no stock. The doctor I consulted told me to stop Pax / Betapam immediately and only supstitude with ALZAM 5 mg.

4 Days later my mom was aggressive hitting people with cane, undresses and go naked agitated, panic attacts. I Added the Betapam and mood improved

At my Moms age and with cost of pax she can stay on but if it is no longer available in RSA, I need to taper  , I do need assistance as medical dr told me there should not be withdrawel simtoms!!!

Hello ConcernedDaughter,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! I am so terribly sorry your mother is being put through this, it is just irresponsible on the part of the doctors.  Your mom is suffering from withdrawal symptoms and yes, contrary to what you doctor said, there is withdrawal related to benzodiazepines.  I see you are in a difficult place, on the one hand, at your moms age I'm not sure I would make her stop taking these drugs. On the other hand, you are forced to discontinue do to the unavailability of the medication.

After long term use, a slow taper is necessary to help minimize withdrawal symptoms.  Generally a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual, it is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. It was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field. You might consider printing it out and taking it to the doctor.

We'll help you and guide you through the withdrawal process, you are among people who understand.  Please do ask questions, we're here to help. Thank you so much for being an advocate for you mom!!

General Taper Plans

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)