Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Been binging off and on for a month or 2. Do I need to taper

[la...]

I have taken large amounts the past month and a half or so maybe like 3-6 mg alprazolam, 30-50 mg of diazepam at a time, sometimes alone sometimes the combo of the 2. sometimes more sometimes less, but it has been inconsistent. Do I need to taper? Would starting off at 15 mg of diazaepam than lowering for a week or 2 work?

Typically a taper needs to be done with use past 2 or 3 weeks.  To begin your taper you will want to find the lowest dose that you feel somewhat stable on and begin from there. Since your doses look pretty high I don't know if 15 mg of Valium will be enough.  Xanax is 10 times more potent than Valium so 6 mg would be the equivalent to 60 mg of Valium.  Combine that with 50 mg of Valium and that is a very high dose. The recommended reduction rate is 5 to 10 percent every two weeks. However, with use less than two months a more rapid taper can sometimes be done.  Since Valium has such a long half life it can sometimes take a week or two to feel the full effects of a cut.

If it's been daily or frequent use at that level (doesn't really matter which benzodiazepine(s) they are) I would taper.  If it's been a few binges, I would not.