Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Been binging off and on for a month or 2. Do I need to taper

[la...]

I have taken large amounts the past month and a half or so maybe like 3-6 mg alprazolam, 30-50 mg of diazepam at a time, sometimes alone sometimes the combo of the 2. sometimes more sometimes less, but it has been inconsistent. Do I need to taper? Would starting off at 15 mg of diazaepam than lowering for a week or 2 work?

Typically a taper needs to be done with use past 2 or 3 weeks.  To begin your taper you will want to find the lowest dose that you feel somewhat stable on and begin from there. Since your doses look pretty high I don't know if 15 mg of Valium will be enough.  Xanax is 10 times more potent than Valium so 6 mg would be the equivalent to 60 mg of Valium.  Combine that with 50 mg of Valium and that is a very high dose. The recommended reduction rate is 5 to 10 percent every two weeks. However, with use less than two months a more rapid taper can sometimes be done.  Since Valium has such a long half life it can sometimes take a week or two to feel the full effects of a cut.

If it's been daily or frequent use at that level (doesn't really matter which benzodiazepine(s) they are) I would taper.  If it's been a few binges, I would not.