Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

New York City Health Info 2016: "Judicious Prescribing of Benzodiazepines"

[La...]

This brochure is top-notch! It's aimed at prescribing doctors, and it begins with a warning -- yes, in a box -- that states "If benzodiazepines are indicated, prescribe the lowest effective dose for the shortest duration—no more than 2 to 4 weeks."

It's well-researched, and it includes some information about physical dependence, tolerance and withdrawal. There's even a section on CYP450 interactions between benzos and other medications (e.g. Prozac and others). It suggests other first-line treatments for insomnia and anxiety too.

Overall, it's very impressive. This is a great piece of literature to print out and share with a doctor, because it's up-to-date and has so many references and links (including links to Ashton Manual and others for tapering).

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/chi/chi-35-2.pdf

Wow! That's what I'm talking about!  :thumbsup:  I  read (in the document I just posted) that in New York the Triplicate program for benzodiazepine prescribing was also implemented and this reduced prescribing by nearly 50% and seven years on this was sustained.  I see things moving in the right direction.  People will take notice of what's happening in New York I think.  Excellent brochure.  Thank you Lapis.

I figure if it's good enough for New York City, then it's good enough for the rest of us too! What I mean is, this brochure can serve as a template for others. They've done their homework. No need to re-create the wheel if these folks have done it already. Just add some local resources and away you go!

You're welcome, Terry! I do hope other public health departments use this info too. Why not use it around the US? I'd love to see something like this here in Canada too.