Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

ACUTE PHASE HOW LONG DOES IT LAST

[mo...]

Hey BB,

So i'm in the "Acute Phase" or as I would like to call it. Every damn symptom under the sun loosing your mind phase. I'm really fed up at this point. 43 days(CT) of sheer torture and hellish like feelings. The nausea is kicking my ass today. I simply wanted to know how long does the "Acute phase" last for

2.5 / 3MG of Xanax for 2.5 years.......

PLEASE COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW.

BEST,

MOOSE

The acute phase is anywhere from 2 - 4 months out, the next phase is up to 18 months? Thereafter you are considered to be protracted, there is no real hard and fast rules here. Everyone is so different, healing is not linear, and our healing is all completely individual. All based on our genetics, what we are waiting for is that our GABA receptors to be up regulated, they have been down regulated by the benzo's ... So yes, we are all in the same boat hoping to heal as soon as we can, stay strong .. the journey is quite a learning experience. .. Hope you feel better soon.

i did read through many posts, and acute seems to be anywhere 3 weeks - 3 months. i think there is much misunderstanding what acute is. acute doesn't mean that its horrible either, could be mild.

that is really really weird. did you function at all during first 8 months and then got like a panic attack curious

I felt worst after the first eight months. So my acute was smoother i guess than my protracted withdrawal

I was working full time the entire process. It just gradually became more intense until i kindof lost it. My thoughts were so loud i could almost hear them. I never had panic just chronic ocd, stress intolerance,  insomnia, elevated heart rate.

All is normal now! Most importantly

Well you know my story already it took me about 60 days until I was out of the acute phase. Maybe our CT wd contributes to or maybe not.

offeveything27 - I lost my GF who lived with me for 12 years over this. That was in January and now I'm not too broken up about it. I agree with moose that you deserve a metal for working through it. I tried to work around 45 days out and it was futile. I was so worried about it I could barely sleep at all. I have such terrible memory and concentration now. My attention span is like maybe 60 seconds now.

I'm exactly two weeks out.  Had a good day yesterday, but today all hell broke loose in my brain and body.  I'm hoping for windows. 

I hate to say this, but it's good to be in the company of others who lost a few things along the way.  My wife, who takes Klonopin, left me and our dog a few weeks after I started my taper in February of this year.  A few months before she left, the benzos had left me incapacitated and unable to work.  So, yeah, I lost my career and health, too.  But the worst in all this has been the financial stress.  I was the main income, she worked part time and took care of our finances.  When she walked out the door, she left with all our money, I was left with all the bills and expenses.  If it wasn't for my family and a few friends, I don't think I'd be here two weeks out and still alive.

I did a slow taper over a year and a half and for the first 3.5 months of my WD I was fine. The only symptom I had for 3.5 months was irritability. I had no idea what was to come. Then a week before Christmas I got hammered with acute panic attacks and full on anxiety 24/7 for 2 weeks straight.

From that point it has been one long and slow and steady climb back to health again.