Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Sleep Apnea??

[il...]

Taking a shot in the dark, but apnea isn't a normal symptom, is it? I ask because it's one of my last few buggers. Started over the summer when I started taking Unisom to help me sleep.

as I slip into sleep, my lungs slow, and then stop, and I wake up in a few seconds gasping for air. It only happens like once. I'm also tired through out the day, which yes could be my adrenals, but it could also be from erratic breakthing during sleep?

This isn't normal to benzo healing, is it?

I pray this isn't diabetes. Gees... I'm *only* a touch overweight.

Thanks!

In the early part of my withdrawal, I really had apnea bad. Same experience! Waking up gasping for air! Very scarey! I gradually got better, thank God! As I recall, while I was still on the Benzo, I had apnea. Once you get clear of this, you should be a lot better.

In the early part of my withdrawal, I really had apnea bad. Same experience! Waking up gasping for air! Very scarey! I gradually got better, thank God! As I recall, while I was still on the Benzo, I had apnea. Once you get clear of this, you should be a lot better.

Thanks camre. It's still a mind game. I'm so ridiculously close to being done, that I still think, "I'm so grateful. But, wait.... >enter symptom< is still going....this isn't the new me yet, is it?"

It also concerns be that it seemed to have started when I was taking unisom over the summer, and the unisom package says do not take if you have lung issues? 😱😳

I pray it's benzo healing. I haven't heard much about it, but I'm praying it's nothing underlying.

Thanks again

I had it as well and it's lessened over time. Maybe a few times a month now and not as severe. I barely notice it.  :thumbsup:

Thank you, Donnie! This one isn't talked about as much. Guess it's this symptom'/s turn in the driver's seat. Was really getting worried there, but found this is relatively normal for many.

On a good note, brain zaps came back today - upon waking up for the day, per usual, and they were barely even there. I'm almost at the point where everything's just annoying. I'm at a year tomorrow, but 90% of my symptoms came on only after drinking last January 20th, so that's my real year anniversary as far as healing goes - onward and upward we go!

Oh yeah Benzo and Benzo withdrawal can cause obstructive sleep apnoea definitely. I was diagnosed with OSA about a year before benzos because I'm a big cuddly chap. Anyways when I was put on valium my OSA would be much worse. It is because it relaxes the airways more. I think it also effects the sleeping centre of the brain.

Now to the serious part. You mention that you wake up gasping for air - that is a sign of serious sleep apnoea, whether you had it before or the withdrawal caused it is irrelevant. What is important is that you get treated for it immediately. If you go to the doctor and ask for a sleep study, you can get diagnosed with it if you have it. They will prescribe a CPAP machine which will help you breathe at night. You will feel much better including your withdrawal will be easier.

I don't mean to scare you but sleep apnoea is very serious if untreated. It's easy to treat. After your withdrawal syndrome is finished, your apnoea may go away and you may not need the machine anymore.

Regards,

- MLC

Oh yeah Benzo and Benzo withdrawal can cause obstructive sleep apnoea definitely. I was diagnosed with OSA about a year before benzos because I'm a big cuddly chap. Anyways when I was put on valium my OSA would be much worse. It is because it relaxes the airways more. I think it also effects the sleeping centre of the brain.

Now to the serious part. You mention that you wake up gasping for air - that is a sign of serious sleep apnoea, whether you had it before or the withdrawal caused it is irrelevant. What is important is that you get treated for it immediately. If you go to the doctor and ask for a sleep study, you can get diagnosed with it if you have it. They will prescribe a CPAP machine which will help you breathe at night. You will feel much better including your withdrawal will be easier.

I don't mean to scare you but sleep apnoea is very serious if untreated. It's easy to treat. After your withdrawal syndrome is finished, your apnoea may go away and you may not need the machine anymore.

Regards,

- MLC

This is why I'm concerned - because left untreated, it can be serious. It all happens upon falling asleep - half already asleep, half awake.... Boom, lungs slow until they stop, it wakes me and I gasp. Then it's over and I can usually fall asleep the second try.

I'll call my doctor tomorrow to make an appointment. I've gained weight due to having been so sedentary this past year. The better I feel, the more active I am, and I think I'm starting to lose some. Hopefully it's either a temporary CNS issue or the 20-30 lbs I need to lose.

Thank you for your insight. It's much appreciated!

Shouldn't it just stop, like the rest of my symptoms have? It has broken up and improved like everything else did, minus the few handful of sxs that are still hanging around.

Illnever,

Don't get worried.  This is, most likely, withdrawal.  You didn't have sleep apnea before WD.  If you are concerned, you'll make an appointment to get yourself tested.  There's big money to be made in CPAP machines and I'm sure there's a huge customer base in benzo withdrawers.  I know it must be scary to be awakened gasping for air, but feel good about the fact that your system alerts you when your breathing is slower than it likes.  Your autonomic reflexes will keep all your vitals steady to stay alive.  That's their job.  Breathe 4-7-8 four times before bed.  That will give your body good oxygen and PH levels for relaxation and steady sleep.

Sofa

Shouldn't it just stop, like the rest of my symptoms have? It has broken up and improved like everything else did, minus the few handful of sxs that are still hanging around.

Under the circumstances it probably would be a good idea to have this checked out. I'm looking at how long it has been since you have been Benzo free. In my experience when I reached the 11 month mark I had some old symptoms crop back up and I got new ones on the way. I had apnea issues earlier in my recovery. It was probably month 6 that I noticed that I wasn't gagging and fighting for air. I don't know what a doctor will do for you. Perhaps a CPAP for a while may be helpful. I do think this is withdrawal symptoms but sometimes you have to get medical attention. I think that would be wise!

Illnever,

Don't get worried.  This is, most likely, withdrawal.  You didn't have sleep apnea before WD.  If you are concerned, you'll make an appointment to get yourself tested.  There's big money to be made in CPAP machines and I'm sure there's a huge customer base in benzo withdrawers.  I know it must be scary to be awakened gasping for air, but feel good about the fact that your system alerts you when your breathing is slower than it likes.  Your autonomic reflexes will keep all your vitals steady to stay alive.  That's their job.  Breathe 4-7-8 four times before bed.  That will give your body good oxygen and PH levels for relaxation and steady sleep.

Sofa

Thank you, Sofa! It's when falling asleep. It doesn't wake me up once I am asleep. Still....  It's a scary one, but, haven't they all been? Think I'll allow the apnea in the "driver'a seat" like the rest have done before breaking up. Revisit it in a few weeks? and have my doc's number handy in case.

I sure hope you are well!

Hi I'll never do this again,

I never like to contradict other members but in this case I will. Definitely get it checked out at a doctor. Sleep Apnoea however it is induced is death by a thousand cuts. It can lead to organ failure and cardiovascular accidents to name a few over a very long period of time. If you are waking up gasping and feel breathless, that is bad. Some people have died from it (usually when they were drunk or sleeping in a bad position). CPAP machines are fairly cheap for what you get - 1500 dollars worth should last you every night for five years plus. I think in America that is cheaper than special medication right?

I don't want to scare you, I just know a lot about OSA because I have it. It's better to be safe than sorry with Apnoea symptoms.

Hi I'll never do this again,

I never like to contradict other members but in this case I will. Definitely get it checked out at a doctor. Sleep Apnoea however it is induced is death by a thousand cuts. It can lead to organ failure and cardiovascular accidents to name a few over a very long period of time. If you are waking up gasping and feel breathless, that is bad. Some people have died from it (usually when they were drunk or sleeping in a bad position). CPAP machines are fairly cheap for what you get - 1500 dollars worth should last you every night for five years plus. I think in America that is cheaper than special medication right?

I don't want to scare you, I just know a lot about OSA because I have it. It's better to be safe than sorry with Apnoea symptoms.

Matt,

I don't think you're contradicting anyone.

I think they're just saying, "hey, get checked if you want, but it *is* common.

I will call my doctor tomorrow. They won't believe me as per why I have it, but, who cares.

Also, I gained an extra 20 lbs or so, but I've been this heavy before and never got apnea. i have a nurse in the family and said I'm way too young to have it as a true, baseline issue, meaning, by itself, and not from benzo healing. So, I'll still call the doctor to make sure all is well, and partly because of your input, but I've faith after looking into this today, that it can be relatively common, and it, too, shall pass!

Logic just dictates that, everything else has either passed or is passing. Why wouldn't this, ya know?

But thank you again. I really appreciate your (and everyone's) input.