Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Librium

[Ka...]

I have been taking clonazepam for about 6 years. I take .5mg daily, .25 in morning and again at night. I want to get off so talked to my psychiatrist about it. I voiced my concern about withdrawals and how it can take a long time with bad side effects. He told me .5mg wasn't a big dose and wrote me a prescription for Librium. He told me to stop taking clonazepam and now to take 20mg of Librium for 15 days and then 10mg for another 15 days. Then I will be done.

My question is, is this a solution anyone else has used? Does Librium help? I know it's a longer lasting benzo. Also is that too quick of a taper? Thanks in advance!

There is no need to switch. You can taper clonazepam directly. The doctor's advice is off base. It can take many months to get off  .5mg. The rate you go at is determined by your body and should never be scheduled.

Thanks for the response. I'm on day 3 now of Librium. Feel okay so far and just hoping things will continue to be okay. I talked to my psych and he told me has had many patients who tapered this way and it has worked. Don't know if that's entirely true of course.