Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone wake up during medical procedure?

[ti...]

Just curious and seriously bored.

But I started getting how tolerant I was when anesthesiologist would ask "why aren't you sleeping yet"?

I did actually wake during two minor procedures.  I just wonder if those on very high doses cannot have surgery because they cannot be put to sleep. Or have to have local types of anesthesia?

So glad I'm getting off this

Nope, not at all. I woke up during a GI scope because I felt pain. No anxiety.It was probably when dr did the biopsy.  Then again during some major dental work, it was the pain, an implant hit my nerve.

I did not wake up during the SI joint fusion, I think they used better drugs then.

I never had actual anxiety, just got on the benzo becsuse I had some insomnia and a lot of anxiety producing life events

I woke up during an upper GI. No pain or anxiety. Did not know I was tolerant to the drug at the time. I actually tried to answer a question the doc had asked the anesthesiologist. Doctor was very displeased with the anesthesiologist, and they put me back under. It was one if those twilight (light sedation) procedures. Needless to say the next time they knocked me out good.  ;D

I never woke up during my spinal surgery while under general anesthesia.

I believe there are genetic factors, as well. Anesthesia knocked me out hard despite years of benzos. My wife, on the other hand, who is not prone to anxiety and barely touches drugs of any kind, became conscious during a tooth extraction being done under a lot of midazolam.

Sounds like me. They must use benzos for the twilight procedures

Yes, "twilight" usually means Versed, the name brand for Midazolam in the US. It's a potent, extremely short-acting benzo.

I believe there are genetic factors, as well. Anesthesia knocked me out hard despite years of benzos. My wife, on the other hand, who is not prone to anxiety and barely touches drugs of any kind, became conscious during a tooth extraction being done under a lot of midazolam.

Sounds like me. They must use benzos for the twilight procedures

Yes, "twilight" usually means Versed, the name brand for Midazolam in the US. It's a potent, extremely short-acting benzo.

That's exactly what they used on me. I told my GI doctor that I'm tapering a benzo so we will use an alternative medication if I need a similar procedure.

I think it would be quite scary, even if it was a dental procedure.

I once watched a TV program (many years ago) about people who are put to sleep for surgeries, and actually wake up, and be able to hear what's being said by surgeon and other folks involved doing the surgery, but they can't wake up enough to let docs know they are awake.

That would be super scary.

I think it would be quite scary, even if it was a dental procedure.

I once watched a TV program (many years ago) about people who are put to sleep for surgeries, and actually wake up, and be able to hear what's being said by surgeon and other folks involved doing the surgery, but they can't wake up enough to let docs know they are awake.

That would be super scary.

I watched the same program. Prior benzodiazepine use was not mentioned as a predisposing factor in this scenario, and the phenomenon described in the program is extremely rare.

This just happened to me during oral surgery (dental implant and molar removal). I asked for no benzos, so instead of Valium and Versed, I was given Benadryl, Fentanyl, and Ketamine (possible propofol also). But I was alert during the entire procedure. I was calm and felt no pain, but I tried to talk and answer the  doctore during the procedure and and heard him say, "She's trying to talk. give her another dose"... I could follow the conversation in the room, heard the music, knew when they were doing the tooth removal, bone graft, implant and stitches. Luckily it sounded like everything was going well so I just shut my mouth but did giggle a few times with their conversation. I remember they said, "She thinks you're funny."  I knew when it was over and i sat up very aware and said "WHOA I was awake for all of that... you guys talked about politics." I don't think they really understood how alert I was through the whole thing.

It wasn't bad. I didn't expect it though.

No I felt 0 pain, just the pressure and tugging. I was given local anesthesia too. The pain would have freaked me out so something worked enough to make me numb.

sounds crazy, but any time I did not want to "fall asleep" they had severe problems to bomb me into the dreaming.

My best friend is just the same. Before her last procedure we told the doctor that she would need a high dosage - it worked out..

This just happened to me during oral surgery (dental implant and molar removal). I asked for no benzos, so instead of Valium and Versed, I was given Benadryl, Fentanyl, and Ketamine (possible propofol also). But I was alert during the entire procedure. I was calm and felt no pain, but I tried to talk and answer the  doctore during the procedure and and heard him say, "She's trying to talk. give her another dose"... I could follow the conversation in the room, heard the music, knew when they were doing the tooth removal, bone graft, implant and stitches. Luckily it sounded like everything was going well so I just shut my mouth but did giggle a few times with their conversation. I remember they said, "She thinks you're funny."  I knew when it was over and i sat up very aware and said "WHOA I was awake for all of that... you guys talked about politics." I don't think they really understood how alert I was through the whole thing.

It wasn't bad. I didn't expect it though.

TG you didn't feel pain.  Both times I woke it was the pain.  The dentist hit a nerve with the implant, and probably the biopsy part of the GI scope.  I did fall back to sleep so I don't know what they were talking about like you.  Wow how weird.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been put under for surgeries twice.  (both while on klonopin).  I did not have an issue either of these times.  However, I had a few procedures where Versed was used (nerve burning, endoscopy), I was pretty much awake for these, or woke up during them.  The doctor who did the nerve procedure checked my IV to make sure it wasn't blocked.  They gave me the max dose of versed and I was still awake and moving.  Needless to say, the procedure didn't work properly and I ended up in severe pain for months until the nerve regenerated itself.  I still have nerve issues from this.