Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Allen Frances on Benzodiazepine Information Coalition

[Ms...]

Good article. It's great to see some doctors starting to take a stand. This part really stood out-

BIC’s board of directors have experienced their own benzodiazepine-associated disabilities and have first-hand experience of the devastation caused by this class of drugs. They have buried friends driven to suicide by agonizing withdrawal, and they have experienced the losses associated with an unexpected, long-term disability. They have been told by doctors that what they are experiencing is not real. They discovered information about these drugs that should have been provided to them before they were ever given their first prescription. And after working with thousands with the same symptoms they realized that they were not alone.

This is something that could be printed to give to family, friends and doctors to help prove that this is indeed a serious issue.

Sorry to burst the bubble here, but I absolutely *seethe* at any mention of this man's name!

Everyone needs to understand who this Dr. Allen Frances is.  As the former Chair of the DSM-IV - thereby once carrying the title of the most powerful and important psychiatrist in the world -  this Dr. Allen Frances is PERSONALLY responsible for the maiming and harming and destroyed lives of MILLIONS of individuals INCLUDING CHILDREN!!!  Knowingly, deliberately and in cahoots with Big Pharma (Risperdal) for a price!

And he is being protected and has escaped scot-free and never shown an ounce of conscience, remorse, guilt or shame!  He is a most despicable human being who, by all rights, should now be sitting behind bars.  He should NOT be glorified and applauded for being this "ethical" doctor now speaking up for the greater good of the people.  ::)  He criticizes and blames everyone else and yet conveniently has never made mention of, or even acknowledged (let alone apologized for) his own past disgraceful behavior.  He honestly shows all the signs of a complete psychopath!

I've ranted about him before.  You can read more here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=129709.msg2090711#msg2090711

And this podcast of Dr. Peter Breggin with Paula Caplan PhD, (who sat on the DSM Committee but resigned in disgust) and wrote an article exposing him (will find it and add to a separate thread).  You'll hear Peter Breggin sneeringly refer to him as "The latest Johnny Come Lately Mild Critic of Psychiatry". 

https://drpeterbregginshow.podbean.com/2015/09/

Snake!

:tickedoff:

WOW!!!! I don't profess to know about these people, but having listened to the video and in reading some of what you said, I'm blown away. Very sad. I read about Risperdal - a HORRIBLE drug.

So sorry for what I said - I take it back! I can't trust any doctors. I'm even more skeptical.

Do you honestly think Benzodiazepine damaged will be stopped if psychiatrists don't take our side? Allen Frances says here he unretired to fix damage he was implicit in.

I personally like him. And he's extremely on the side of Benzodiazepine damaged. Your other psychiatric grievances are unrelated to the Benzodiazepine problem. Do you honestly think these doctors become psychiatrists to injure people? I don't. I think they're grossly uniformed about the potential damage of benzodiazepines.

I started typing something up but changed my mind and deleted it.  No offense, but how does one even respond after reading you saying "I personally like him" and talking about my "psychiatric grievances" and, well, every single other point of yours including the video.  I'll take a pass on this one.

PS:  I've done my homework.  Thoroughly.  Have you?

Frankly, this is how I think benzo dangers need to be shown to newcomers. I like how this particular psychiatrist has explained the subject. I think very few people would take them if they'd seen something like this:

Frankly, this is how I think benzo dangers need to be shown to newcomers. I like how this particular psychiatrist has explained the subject. I think very few people would take them if they'd seen something like this:

I disagree. This just promotes more misinformation and doesn't even come close to exposing the true dangers of these drugs.

This is something that could be printed to give to family, friends and doctors to help prove that this is indeed a serious issue.

I absolutely agree.

If benzos have taught me something, it definitely is to keep thinking critically. So I am not going to praise this man for his words. But if I can use his article to get my Family to understand the situation better, I won't hesitate to use it.

Do you honestly think Benzodiazepine damaged will be stopped if psychiatrists don't take our side? Allen Frances says here he unretired to fix damage he was implicit in.

I personally like him. And he's extremely on the side of Benzodiazepine damaged. Your other psychiatric grievances are unrelated to the Benzodiazepine problem. Do you honestly think these doctors become psychiatrists to injure people? I don't. I think they're grossly uniformed about the potential damage of benzodiazepines.

They don't. But intention and outcome are two different things. I'm sure every doctor means well, even when they don't believe us they still mean well.

That doesn't mean we didn't get hurt or those drugs aren't damaging.

On the other hand i do think it's good that people keep evoluating , hopefully one day he will recognize the other damage as well.

The whole psychiatric industry needs a reality check.

They don't. But intention and outcome are two different things. I'm sure every doctor means well, even when they don't believe us they still mean well.

That doesn't mean we didn't get hurt or those drugs aren't damaging.

On the other hand i do think it's good that people keep evoluating , hopefully one day he will recognize the other damage as well.

The whole psychiatric industry needs a reality check.

Agreed, we were injured and nothing changes that.  It never should have happened, and was completely avoidable.  I wouldn't be here if I wasn't damaged and hung out to dry, because I wouldn't know about it.  I wouldn't have agreed to participate in this blog about our organization with Dr. Frances if I didn't think he was behaving ethically, and in the interest of the benzodiazepine injured.  Hopefully he continues to be a part of that much needed reality check, as it appears to be one of his aims.  He is definitely a critical thinker, and I agree with FloridaGuy (I'm from Florida too!) we all should be thinking critically, and examining evidence of everything we choose to consume.