Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

i am scared

[Tr...]

I am really scared now...I don't want to take another benzo again...but the symptoms I am having are bad and so constant...Will I be normal again? My feelings are weird and scary....Will I really get better...? I didn't know wd can be this bad...

What are your symptoms .? 

I just read another post you posted about " will I get better" . You listed off some of your major symptoms and also said you had a take ran a bunch of tests. If everything came back ok then I wouldn't worry about any of those symptoms your experiencing . I think we all make the symptoms worse by obsessing over them and letting out emotions take control. Especially anxiety .

You will be ok. I have had alll those symptoms you lists since day one and I am still alive. If they are alll just now hitting you, be grateful you had five months of no severe symptoms. Now it's time to buckle down and learn or use coping skills to manage your symptoms. Possibly see a therapist to practice cbt. You seem to be getting the irrational beliefs we all get from benzo brain.

It's easy to convince ourselves we are dying and something horrible is happening to us. You need to focus on the opposite. Create positive thinking in your mind . Don't let any negative in their. Other wise you willl end up wallowing in your own misery. Believe me I have been there and you don't want that. It's poopy.... 

Just remember your okay and your gonna be okay . This is just our brain healing itself , even though it feels like the opposite . Deep breathe, meditate, accept , distract and smile.

I know it all sounds old at this point , just rinse lather and repeat though

Remy

Yes, w/d can be this bad, and it's serious business.  There's no way around this. But you WILL heal, and you WILL get though this.  Here's what helped me more than anything else during my long withdrawal and healing process:

During the misery, brainfog, and extreme anxiety caused by withdrawal, I found that one thing helped me more than anything else - self distraction. It was the only thing that interrupted my obsession with my severe daily symptoms. I used any distraction that worked for me, and often it was very basic - an old movie on TV, an online game, arts, crafts, household chores - anything that distracted me from my anxiety for awhile, and when that stopped working, relentlessly and methodically moved on to something else, using my own obsessiveness to do this and stick to it.  The effect was miraculous. Self distraction was the most valuable skill I developed during withdrawal, and I would have been in very bad shape without it.  I soon started looking forward to my favorite distractions! Doing this gave me the feeling of control, which  was what I needed most when it seemed that everything was lost.

:smitten:

I Am too far out to even think about reinstate right?

Tracy, reinstating will very likely make future withdrawals even worse than this one.  But, of course, it's up to you.

Remy

I am am having heart pain...this symptom makes me scared....The pain in my heart is very constant and sometimes it more intense...Also and when I think about my heart I feel scared ....feelings like?...Am I going to pass out any minute and no one around...? Am I having heart problems....? Will I get better with this? It has been 5 months and 2 weeks, people say 6 months but ...?....I also having hands and feet sweating and cold...On top of this I have feelings of out of my body and the surrounding is weird and not real...Headache....body ache/body tiredness....Anxiety, feelings of panics...

The one that scares me is heart pain, but the doc did EKG for me last month and it was normal...also a feeling of hard to breath...a bit...

Other thing that scares me is that I am almost 6 months and still like this, I don't know if I can handle to a year or two...I keep holding on to the 6 month...but people say they still have symptoms at 6 month....If someone say I will get much better at 6 month then I will hold on too...

Hi again,

I'm glad you got your chest pain checked out.  Chest pain, caused by muscle contractions in the chest wall, is actually a common symptom.  Benzo withdrawal causes many types of muscle symptoms all over the body, because benzos are powerful muscle relaxants and when discontinued, there's a rebound effect.

Remy

I am am having heart pain...this symptom makes me scared....The pain in my heart is very constant and sometimes it more intense...Also and when I think about my heart I feel scared ....feelings like?...Am I going to pass out any minute and no one around...? Am I having heart problems....? Will I get better with this? It has been 5 months and 2 weeks, people say 6 months but ...?....I also having hands and feet sweating and cold...On top of this I have feelings of out of my body and the surrounding is weird and not real...Headache....body ache/body tiredness....Anxiety, feelings of panics...

The one that scares me is heart pain, but the doc did EKG for me last month and it was normal...also a feeling of hard to breath...a bit...

Other thing that scares me is that I am almost 6 months and still like this, I don't know if I can handle to a year or two...I keep holding on to the 6 month...but people say they still have symptoms at 6 month....If someone say I will get much better at 6 month then I will hold on too...

🙄 I edited my first post in response to your symptoms. I saw you posted them in another post

Yes, w/d can be this bad, and it's serious business.  There's no way around this. But you WILL heal, and you WILL get though this.  Here's what helped me more than anything else during my long withdrawal and healing process:

During the misery, brainfog, and extreme anxiety caused by withdrawal, I found that one thing helped me more than anything else - self distraction. It was the only thing that interrupted my obsession with my severe daily symptoms. I used any distraction that worked for me, and often it was very basic - an old movie on TV, an online game, arts, crafts, household chores - anything that distracted me from my anxiety for awhile, and when that stopped working, relentlessly and methodically moved on to something else, using my own obsessiveness to do this and stick to it.  The effect was miraculous. Self distraction was the most valuable skill I developed during withdrawal, and I would have been in very bad shape without it.  I soon started looking forward to my favorite distractions! Doing this gave me the feeling of control, which  was what I needed most when it seemed that everything was lost.

THANKS....I needed to hear this today...Going to need to distract better!

I just read another post you posted about " will I get better" . You listed off some of your major symptoms and also said you had a take ran a bunch of tests. If everything came back ok then I wouldn't worry about any of those symptoms your experiencing . I think we all make the symptoms worse by obsessing over them and letting out emotions take control. Especially anxiety .

You will be ok. I have had alll those symptoms you lists since day one and I am still alive. If they are alll just now hitting you, be grateful you had five months of no severe symptoms. Now it's time to buckle down and learn or use coping skills to manage your symptoms. Possibly see a therapist to practice cbt. You seem to be getting the irrational beliefs we all get from benzo brain.

It's easy to convince ourselves we are dying and something horrible is happening to us. You need to focus on the opposite. Create positive thinking in your mind . Don't let any negative in their. Other wise you willl end up wallowing in your own misery. Believe me I have been there and you don't want that. It's poopy.... 

Just remember your okay and your gonna be okay . This is just our brain healing itself , even though it feels like the opposite . Deep breathe, meditate, accept , distract and smile.

I know it all sounds old at this point , just rinse lather and repeat though

Remy

Hi Remy,

Thank you so much.  I will listen to your advice.  You're right, I had all the test came back normal. I shouldn't be worry about the symptom anymore. This is not easy though, but I gotta keep going, that's the only way out.  Also, yes I had 5 months of relatively easy symptom, the severe ones all are now hitting me.  I gotta stay strong. Will start therapy next week.

Thank you Megan. I will try to do this. I do chores around the house everyday.  I think I will need to do more distractions, whenever I am not doing anything, my mind starts to think negative especially when I have the scary symptoms.

Tracy, reinstating will very likely make future withdrawals even worse than this one.  But, of course, it's up to you.

I will never reinstate, 5 months and 2 weeks out already.  I will use distractions from now on to cope with my symptoms.

I will never reinstate, 5 months and 2 weeks out already.  I will use distractions from now on to cope with my symptoms.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have had the heart/breathing and even went to the ER for it.  It's so hard to think rationally when there is so much fear in our minds.  Hold on to the fact that the heart test came back healthy.  Remember that thousands of us have had the same experience you are having now and our hearts are still beating fine.  Distraction is wonderful but I think we have to learn to accept these awful sensations for now, knowing that in time they will heal.  So hard to do and I struggle as well, but I think those that accept their symptoms seem to do the best.  We will get through this in time!

I have had the heart/breathing and even went to the ER for it.  It's so hard to think rationally when there is so much fear in our minds.  Hold on to the fact that the heart test came back healthy.  Remember that thousands of us have had the same experience you are having now and our hearts are still beating fine.  Distraction is wonderful but I think we have to learn to accept these awful sensations for now, knowing that in time they will heal.  So hard to do and I struggle as well, but I think those that accept their symptoms seem to do the best.  We will get through this in time!

Hi,

I am thinking to go to the Urgent Care for my heart/breathing today to make sure again. Yes, its hard to think rationally, but I still worry about it because it has been constant and for many days now. I'm sure its the wd but I still worry and in order for me not to worry I gotta do the tests again to ease my worry.

Yes it is so hard, I am having anxiety all day today, and its very intense.

Everything is hard now. I try hard to accept the feelings but its not easy when we have so much fears in our mind, how can we not have when we have some much symptoms to begin with.

I'm so sorry it is feeling so bad Tracy.  I have been there (mentally and physically at the ER) and I know how much it sucks.  If you've already had your heart checked out, it's "just fear".  Somehow we had to find a way to accept that fear is here now, we don't have to like it, but knowing that it's not always going to be there gives me hope.  What you're experiencing now is so textbook that it's literally written about in a book titled "Hope and Help for your nerves" by Claire Weekes.  Maybe trying reading it as a distraction and see for yourself.  Praying for you!

I'm so sorry it is feeling so bad Tracy.  I have been there (mentally and physically at the ER) and I know how much it sucks.  If you've already had your heart checked out, it's "just fear".  Somehow we had to find a way to accept that fear is here now, we don't have to like it, but knowing that it's not always going to be there gives me hope.  What you're experiencing now is so textbook that it's literally written about in a book titled "Hope and Help for your nerves" by Claire Weekes.  Maybe trying reading it as a distraction and see for yourself.  Praying for you!

Thank you.  My family did an EKG on my heart couple months ago and it was normal. But the last few days It's bad and hurting me so bad.  I am waiting for my fiance to get home and then we will get another one check out either at the urgent care or ER. Also I "feel" like I am having little bit of short of breath. What test is for this? lung?

Tracy

Two hours ago I was having this very bad panic attack with headache, sweating hand and feet,dizziness, light-headed,  and INTENSE heart pains,and INTENSE FEARS going through my body, literally from toes to head and that I could not feel anything in my body. It scared the hell out of me, I was crying so bad that I had to call my fiance and he had to drive home from work. And now it's gone. I don't know It's hard to live like this.

I Am sorry everyone, I don't mean to yell. I am just so tired of all of this. . I learned the hard way.

Benzo withdrawal is like a rollercoaster, with many ups and downs.  We're not in control of this.  In time, your system will settle down and things will gradually return to normal.  But this takes time, TIME itself is the healer.

Hi everyone,

I just got back from the urgent care. My ECG is normal.  But the doctor asked me if I want to take Motrin. When she pressed my chest I felt pain so she thinks I have inflammation and wants me to take motrin. Also when I told her I am having trouble with breathing something, like short of breath. She wanted to do the Chest X-ray but after the ECG is normal, she doesn't think I need it. 

I am very relief that the ECG is normal this just mean benzo wd.  Right now, I am feeling very good. This is so weird, this morning it was terrible the whole day, now I am OK.

Hi TracyNGLE

I want to pitch in here as you most kindly responded to my 6 month celebration post. I understand how unpredictable this journey off of benzos is as I too have had my emotions all over the place lately. I have struggled more with anger than anxiety attacks. I have the anxiety but I seem to be bleeding out my anger all over the place at work. I think I have come close to being fired. This is scary to me. I can't seem to control myself.

It is very normal, while ridding our systems of a benzo, to have our emotions all over the place. As far as the breathing worries, I think you are fine. I am so glad that your EKG was normal. I feel very fearful about life. I fear more now than I did before benzos but there are moments...just moments that I see a little light. The small windows don't last long YET but it tells me that the next step is having them last a day or more. Maybe this is the 6 month progress that you are looking for. So please hang in there and be encouraged that you may be seeing some moments or days of improvement just around the corner. (((hugs)))

Hi TracyNGLE

I want to pitch in here as you most kindly responded to my 6 month celebration post. I understand how unpredictable this journey off of benzos is as I too have had my emotions all over the place lately. I have struggled more with anger than anxiety attacks. I have the anxiety but I seem to be bleeding out my anger all over the place at work. I think I have come close to being fired. This is scary to me. I can't seem to control myself.

It is very normal, while ridding our systems of a benzo, to have our emotions all over the place. As far as the breathing worries, I think you are fine. I am so glad that your EKG was normal. I feel very fearful about life. I fear more now than I did before benzos but there are moments...just moments that I see a little light. The small windows don't last long YET but it tells me that the next step is having them last a day or more. Maybe this is the 6 month progress that you are looking for. So please hang in there and be encouraged that you may be seeing some moments or days of improvement just around the corner. (((hugs)))

Hi beebop2,

You know, I think I have my emotions all over the place at work too.  I would get angry and frustrated and not nice like I used to be. I don't know I could get fired too. I will try to calm down, I hope I won't lose my job soon but who  knows....

I think and hope so beebop2, I think we jumped about the same time so we are in this together with so many others on BB. I just feel like if I get fully healed, I will help a lot of people. This is a terrible and terrible experience in life. Its like HELL ON EARTH. I don't want ANYONE to go through this, even my worst enemy (not that I have one heheh ).

Hi tracy. I  also had the same sxs your describing. The heart pain and hard to breath feeling. Went to the ER, had a bunch of test and everything was fine. Actually got checked out a couple of times. Fear and doubt fuel the sxs. Its hard but try not to worry about them and they'll usually go away like they did. That tells you that your fine.

Hi tracy. I  also had the same sxs your describing. The heart pain and hard to breath feeling. Went to the ER, had a bunch of test and everything was fine. Actually got checked out a couple of times. Fear and doubt fuel the sxs. Its hard but try not to worry about them and they'll usually go away like they did. That tells you that your fine.

Thank you Wolflakes60. Yes now I got my ECG and its normal. So I won't worry about the heart part anymore. It's not easy sometimes but I just gotta keep going.  Life is tough for all of us in this benzo wd journal. But we all be OK :)