Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

ATivan to valium......5 or 10mg?

[Me...]

Some studies say 1mg of ativan is equivalent to 5mg of valium, while others say it is 10mg

That is a very large difference.  It's important I c/o to correct dose.  Any suggestions?

I should also say that I am trying to wind up on the minimum dose of Valium possible for me because I don't really like it.. so that's another reason I am going slow.

I should also say that I am trying to wind up on the minimum dose of Valium possible for me because I don't really like it.. so that's another reason I am going slow.

So what dose of ativan are you starting with and which dose of valium will you be switching to?

So what dose of ativan are you starting with and which dose of valium will you be switching to?

I started with 1.5 mg Ativan and I am cross tapering to (hopefully) 4 mg Valium over several months.  I believe this to be a dosage reduction..how much?... I don't know.  I get lots of different answers too, so I am just going by how I feel.

• 4 weeks later...
For me Ativan is good for anxiety and horrible for sleep, while valium is horrible for anxiety and great for sleep.  Xanax was good for both.  I am currently using propranolol for anxiety and (for now) valium resolved my insomnia. 

Some studies say 1mg of ativan is equivalent to 5mg of valium, while others say it is 10mg

That is a very large difference.  It's important I c/o to correct dose.  Any suggestions?

To my knowledge the only equivalent there has ever been is 1mg Ativan = 10mg Diazepam

• 2 weeks later...

Most people prefer to do the crossover gradually, in 3 or four chunks rather than all at once, so your body will have time to adjust in between. Then you can get a sense of how you are responding and what the right equivalent is for you. When I switched from K to V, I did it in three steps and by the time I got to the third step I swapped it for a much lower equivalent because I knew I was responding well to the valium and didnt feel like I needed the full 20X equivalent.

:thumbsup:

JKS

To my knowledge the only equivalent there has ever been is 1mg Ativan = 10mg Diazepam

That would have been too much for me...

Question for George:  I have same issue that Ativan is terrible for sleep but good for anxiety.

I am considering switching to V for my evening dose to improve sleep and continue the day time taper off ativan.

I have a problem with jaw clenching.  When you transitioned from A to V, did you notice if either effected jaw clenching for you?

That would have been too much for me...

It's stating a true fact equivalent - whether it's too much for you is a personal matter

That would be why I said 'for me'...

Question for George:  I have same issue that Ativan is terrible for sleep but good for anxiety.

I am considering switching to V for my evening dose to improve sleep and continue the day time taper off ativan.

I have a problem with jaw clenching.  When you transitioned from A to V, did you notice if either effected jaw clenching for you?

I personally don't find Ativan or valium to be as good as muscle relaxer as Xanax was.  You might try adding a small around of flexerill when your jaw is too tight, if you are not opposed to doing so... 

Hello SusieJ,

I would like to remind you that one of the forum rules is to be polite and respectful to other members. We are each only reporting on our own experiences here, no-one is an expert.

The Ashton Manual Table 1 actually says "Approximately Equivalent Oral dosages" hence each person needs to figure out for themselves (ideally with the help of their doctor) how to best make the transition to valium.

Thank you,

JKS

10:1 ratio  lorazepam-diazepam

I was on 1.25mg lorazepam but c/o to only 8.5mg diazepam (equivalent was 12.5mgs)

I was fine at this...I too found that lorazepam was good for anxiety but I could not sleep at all...was updosing all the time at night

so you take the good with the bad and ugly