Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

People who have failed Clonaz / Klonopin tapers, and switched to Valium, help

[lo...]

Can you explain what happened that caused you to change to valium? How long did it take? What dosages did you cross over? Did you then dose 1x day valium with no interdose wd??

I really need some advice on what to do here, being stuck in a shitty place right now with my clonazepam, after reinstating a month ago and not really stabilized.

I'd never cross over to Valium again. It was a huge mistake but others have very successfully so I'm sure they'll have better input for you. B

Could you elaborate on brutal? Like i said, could you please share why you switched, and what sucked about it afterwards, that would be great, thanks :)

Just finished a crossover to 17.5mgs of Valium from 1 mg of K. It took me 3 weeks to do. I was at a point where I couldn't reduce the K anymore without suffering horribly. I feel level on the Valium now. It's a more even withdrawal. It was hard but doable. Followed Ashton's crossover taper plan exactly. Hope this helps

It does, thank you. Did anyone find that interdose withdrawls went away, or got worse, with valium?

I take .25 clonazepam every 8 hours and I find around the 5-8 hour mark I get increasing tightness, burning, and memory problems

I was able to switch from 3 doses of K a day to just two of Valium. I sometimes get more anxiety closer to my second dose but it's nowhere near the tolerance withdrawal of K at 3 doses daily.

Bumping for more input, please anyone with crossover advice, it would be very helpful. Why you did it, what you noticed was different, if you wish you hadn't, etc etc

I just finished a cross over from Ativan to Valium.  It took almost 2.5 months, but I kept my valium dose low.  I went from 1.5 mg Ativan to 4 mg Valium.  We shall see how I do with this busy upcoming week and travel the week after.  I was going to hold but then I got eager to be done with the crossover before the new year.  Valium is a lot different than Ativan or Xanax.  I never took K.  While I sleep better on the Valium it doesn't help with anxiety that much.  I started taking propranolol for that, and find it very helpful.  I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that finds getting off of valium easier than getting off of Xanax or Ativan.  Good luck whatever you decide!

Can't comment whether this is good or bad as I'm not off everything yet. 

I was on Klonopin for more years then I can remember and was never able to get it lower then 2.50 without having horrible symptoms.  In August I talked my doctor into using the Ashton plan and gave him a copy of her schedule.  He agreed and put me on 15mg Valium while I titrated off the Klonopin.

I'm now almost off the Klonopin, down to .312mg Klonopin and hope to be off it by the end of the year.  I guess I'm a little nervous as after that I'll have to detox off the Valium and think it's going to be hard.  I'm currently using a gram scale, but initially did a liquid titration for about 6 weeks.  I love the gram scale as I can go as slow as I need to.

Will keep you posted.

It really hasn't been much of a problem as far as horrible symptoms.  But, that's as far as getting off the Klonopin.  Maybe others are talking about once their off the K, it's a nightmare then having to get off the Valium, which I'm not facing yet.  I have to say the Valium has been such a big help and I was never able to get lower then 2.50mg K, no matter how hard I tried, until I switch titrating using the Valium.  I was able to go pretty fast at first, cutting by .25mg K every week, until I got down to .50mg K.  Now I'm using a gram scale and cutting by 1/8ths a week on the K.

My doctor doesn't want me to lower the 15mg Valium until I'm off the K as he says it gives me the extra cushion.  I hope to be by the K by the end of the year.  I'm at .312mg so so close I can taste it.

I never had interdose withdrawals with klonopin or Ativan the way I do with Valium. No idea why so I need to dose 4 x a day. I'll clearly need to change to 3X a day but for me the interdose withdrawal is beyond describing. For some reason I could never adjust to Valium. Others can. B

Made me really sick when I jumped from K to V and experienced all the symptoms at once.

Stayed on V about 2 weeks

Switched back to K and within 1 week I was better.

Its hard to titrate down the lowest doses of K but I'm trying