Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How fast or slow should I be tapering?

[cr...]

So last night I got about 3 maybe 4 hours of sleep after staying up for 24hrs. Anyway I feel totally out of it right now. Just wondering if it looks like I'm tapering too slowly or too fast? It feels like my taper is taking forever. That's why I made the bigger cut recently. Honestly at this rate it feels like I'm never going to get off of it. I made it half way pretty much. But as I go lower and lower on the Ativan, I don't tolerate the cuts as well. The lack of sleep is making me want to go back to 1.10mg. But then... I wouldn't be making any progress.

How fast or slow should I be tapering anyways? The lack of sleep seems to be indicator that I'm going a bit fast. But then again. I've seen others taper faster than I am.

So last night I got about 3 maybe 4 hours of sleep after staying up for 24hrs. Anyway I feel totally out of it right now. Just wondering if it looks like I'm tapering too slowly or too fast? It feels like my taper is taking forever. That's why I made the bigger cut recently. Honestly at this rate it feels like I'm never going to get off of it. I made it half way pretty much. But as I go lower and lower on the Ativan, I don't tolerate the cuts as well. The lack of sleep is making me want to go back to 1.10mg. But then... I wouldn't be making any progress.

How fast or slow should I be tapering anyways? The lack of sleep seems to be indicator that I'm going a bit fast. But then again. I've seen others taper faster than I am.

I feel like the super slow tapers just prolong your agony. I am not saying you should do a rapid taper or cold turkey or anything, but a faster taper that gets you off in 1-3 months is safe - the recommendations I see on BenzoBuddies are far slower than what I have seen recommended in medical literature. Your withdrawal symptoms will be a bit worse in the short term, but your recovery will come a lot sooner as well. Your body will take care of the big problems like insomnia fairly quickly (2-3 weeks and your sleep should be well on its way back to what it was before benzos). The sooner you jump off, the sooner your long-term, permanent recovery begins.

Two to three weeks for sleep to return?  Thats a bit more optimistic than what I have heard

That's not what I said, I said "well on its way back to what it was before benzos." You can find that pretty well-documented in medical literature. Don't forget that many people are taking benzos because they had trouble sleeping in the first place, so returning to "what it was before benzos" doesn't mean you're sleeping like a baby... your original insomnia can definitely remain long-term. Also, I mean 2-3 weeks after you jump off completely. If you're tapering, you're gonna have sleep trouble continuously throughout the tapering process. People posting on these forums are usually in the middle of that process, and they don't come back to report the good news later on, so these forums paint a pretty grim picture.

Yeah I for sure would like to go faster. But if my insomnia is this bad from cutting .1 off. Sheesh. Sounds scary. I'm already terrified as it is. And insomnia isn't the only wd symptom of course.