Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Thinking of asking off work

[Tr...]

I think I am in acute now and won't be able to work . I am having terrible headache and anxiety everyday . Thinking of asking for few days off . I don't know if my supervisor let me but I can't really work now . Please advise

I would ask your doctor or health professional for a letter explaining that you are unable to work just now due to your condition. I am sure your work would give you some time off as they are meant to be supportive of their employees if they are unwell. I think its too much for you just now and you need some time off so you can get some 'me' time. Hope all goes well Tracey.  :)

I would ask your doctor or health professional for a letter explaining that you are unable to work just now due to your condition. I am sure your work would give you some time off as they are meant to be supportive of their employees if they are unwell. I think its too much for you just now and you need some time off so you can get some 'me' time. Hope all goes well Tracey.  :)

Thank you . How do I tell my boss

Thank you . How do I tell my boss

Can I say" hi ms .t, do u have a minute can o talk to you. I am very sick now o think

Won't be able to work .please tell me what to do "

Yes! That's exactly what to do. And if you get a letter from a doctor or health professional saying you are unable to work at the moment then even better. I'm sure she will be quite understanding about it. 😊

Hello. I read your other post about your work situation. I will give you my advice. I am a manager/director for a very large company. My advice would be to see your Dr or mental health professional first and speak to them about your situation. Let them know you feel too fragile to work right now and see if they would recommend a short term leave of absence. Then go to your HR department and let them know you are going through a tough time and your Dr has recommended a short term leave of absence. They should be able to guide you through the process. This will allow you up to 90 days to heal. You don't need to get into specifics with your HR department or manager about the reason for your fragile state.

Hello. I read your other post about your work situation. I will give you my advice. I am a manager/director for a very large company. My advice would be to see your Dr or mental health professional first and speak to them about your situation. Let them know you feel too fragile to work right now and see if they would recommend a short term leave of absence. Then go to your HR department and let them know you are going through a tough time and your Dr has recommended a short term leave of absence. They should be able to guide you through the process. This will allow you up to 90 days to heal. You don't need to get into specifics with your HR department or manager about the reason for your fragile state.

Thank you for your advice . I just made a phone call to my supervisor before reading your message . I told her that I am very sick and she said she need doctor excuse. I will see the fictitious later today . I would prefer leave of absence cuz that give me a lot more time to heal . I will talk to my doctor to see if I can get the leave of absence for up to 90 days .

One quick question. The short term leave of absence is a good choice for me. However, my department only have 3 people. I feel like I am making this harder for them. However, I can't control the wd syptoms. I don't want this to happen to me. No body wants this to happen to them. Should I not worry too much about work now? I feel like I am loosing this job slowly.

I can think of a few members who have worked through the acute period of withdrawal. I think what kind of job one does plays a big role in whether one can work or not. They are probably many jobs where is is extremely difficult to preform.  I personally went and got a mindless job cleaning office buildings in evening while I was going through withdrawal. I would think at this point you are well beyond the acute phase which on average lasts about a month. Perhaps if you could find something that helped with the headaches that the distraction of a job might help with your anxiety.

I had to leave work 2 weeks ago.  It was really hard to do so I can relate to how you're feeling.  My boss ended up letting me work on a computer at home, is that an option for you?  At the end of the day, work just doesn't matter when compared to getting healthy.  I would give up ever dollar I have if I could just be well and my guess is that you would too.

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your help and advice. I really appreciate this. It makes me feel that there are people who care and truly understand how you feel. As much as very hard right now,  I feel blessed.

Here's the update:

I just got back from the doctor.  I started my conversation with her by saying saying that I am having withdrawals symptoms and very hard to do work. I would like to take some time off from work.  She asked when did I stop the medication I told her June 17, 2016.

She very strongly said that she doesn't think I am having benzo withdrawal now, 5 months out, she said what I am having is anxiety. She said the reason I got on the medication because of anxiety and I needed it. She said my reason to get off it is to have a baby. I said yes and I also said that I have side effects on them such as cognition and memory issues. She offered Buspar.

I did not agree with her about the withdrawals because she's a doctor and I think she doesn't have much experience. I heard the receptionist said that in her life She has never known anyone could got off xanax.  I calmly and nicely told her that I would try therapy first and see how things go. I would want to cope with natural things and not medicine. She agreed and said if you could that that a better option.

I asked about FMLA option. She told me she is willing to do it if I have forms from my work.  But I told her as for now, I just need time off work for a week and try therapy and see how things go from there. She wrote me a Excuse note from work for one week, I will return work next week Dec 7. I am very glad, I really need this time. 

I told her if I could see her once a month for symptoms update and I need support she said yes.

I also will begin therapy soon, maybe next week.

I am willing to make changes to my lifestyle to get things better.

Today, I feel there are people who still care :).

Tracy

I had to leave work 2 weeks ago.  It was really hard to do so I can relate to how you're feeling.  My boss ended up letting me work on a computer at home, is that an option for you?  At the end of the day, work just doesn't matter when compared to getting healthy.  I would give up ever dollar I have if I could just be well and my guess is that you would too.

I agree. Money is important. We need money to survive. However, if I were to choose, at this moment in my life to have a lot of money or just enough and be healthy. I would choose enough money and be healthy. When we are not healthy we can't enjoy anything.

I was really scared about my job. I talked to my manager very early on and let him know what I was going through and he was very supportive. I took 1 week off when I jumped then dragged myself in to work for 5 weeks in acute. I had a hard time working but I tried. I then hit a horrible wave at 7 weeks out and called my manager in tears. He said to take a week or two off and get better. They have now allowed me to work from home for a month or until I feel well enough. I've just kept communicating with them and made sure they knew how I was doing. I feel lucky I have employers who have been so supportive. I hope you can work something out with them.

I was really scared about my job. I talked to my manager very early on and let him know what I was going through and he was very supportive. I took 1 week off when I jumped then dragged myself in to work for 5 weeks in acute. I had a hard time working but I tried. I then hit a horrible wave at 7 weeks out and called my manager in tears. He said to take a week or two off and get better. They have now allowed me to work from home for a month or until I feel well enough. I've just kept communicating with them and made sure they knew how I was doing. I feel lucky I have employers who have been so supportive. I hope you can work something out with them.

Thank you. I glad they let you do that.  I hope they can work out something with me too. But I am glad to have taken off one week now. I will try to rest and do healthy things as much as possible the next few days.