Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Possible Scam Job Offer?

[La...]

I recently got a job that I am not happy with and have been searching for something else.  I got a job offer from a company here in the US called Dot Foods Inc. It is a legitimate company, but the offer seems too good to be true almost. It is as a personal assistant to the head of their zonal admin department. It is online so more like a virtual assistant.

I had originally applied for a call center position with them through a job recruitment website, but in the email it says that position was filled but that they are looking to fill this one. It pays well and they just offered it based on my resume, but haven't done any kind of interview yet. In the email it stated that they would, but right now they have given me an assignment that involves getting funds from them in the mail to buy items they are donating to foster homes and send the items out. It says I can work full time after two weeks trial period. They have not yet asked me to fill out tax forms or anything. This seems strange to me. They say they want me to do this first task to check my reliability in handling things. They said they would send me my first weeks pay along with the other check to buy the items.Don't they need to have tax info before paying me anything? They have only asked for my full name, address, phone number and email, no other personal information. The email looks official and has their logo, but the hiring manager's email is a gmail account, which I have read is likely to be scam. It says emails should come from a corporate email. Not sure what to think about this.

Can they get that from sending a check and me trying to cash it? I have emailed back and asked for contact info for this hiring manager and will call the company tomorrow and ask about this.

Whoa!!!  Everything about what you wrote screams ***SCAM**!!!

No, no, no!  Do not touch it. 

If you want to know for sure, then call Dot Foods Inc.'s official head office, speak with HR Dept. and verify everything, INCLUDING whether they even have an employee by that name! 

I'll put money on this one!!!

Yeah I will call in the morning. The part I don't get is what do they stand to gain when they arent even asking for information from me. Weird. I'm very frustrated because what I can do for work right now is limited because of what's left of my symptoms. I wish I could find a telecommuting job to give me a chance to spend more time at home and do online classes also, but I cant seem to find much that I would be qualified to do.

[57...]
The check they send you will bounce and you will wind up paying for the items because your bank will hold you responsible for the bounced checks. This is a well known scam. Stay away.

I'd call Dot Foods anyway to inform them of what's going on.  And also I'm very suspicious about that "job recruitment" website.  Be very, very careful!  :thumbsup:

Hi.

I will just add in my two cents as well. All companies are required to take out taxes and Social Security even if you only worked there for four hours. I did get a job at IBM corporate headquarters based on my name in the who's who's  Book and the interview was done over the phone on a Saturday evening which i found  odd but it was totally legit. Be wary of anybody who wants you to do work with not meeting with them and working out of your home and not taking taxes out. People  who don't take taxes out are breaking the law. Period.

Hugs, Betsy ❤️

[57...]

I'll bet you a bottle of Valium :) that the email was not actually from Dot Foods, just from a scammer.

You see this not only on job websites, but also on dating websites, or any other social forum (BB?).

Someone offers to send you a check which you'll cash and buy something to send back to them.

When you cash a check, you give your bank account number - that's so the bank can charge it if the check bounces.

Of course the check the scammer sent was bogus so after you cashed it the bank charges your account

and you effectively just took money from your own account. Meanwhile you bought stuff and sent it to the scammer.

Or sometimes they'll try to inveigle you into sending the money back to them which from their point of view is even better.

I wish you all the best in finding a real job.

Peace and love,

CP

I just called them and yeah, they know that there is apparently a lot of scamming going on through that recruiting site. I won't be using that one anymore.

I'll bet you a bottle of Valium :) that the email was not actually from Dot Foods, just from a scammer.

You see this not only on job websites, but also on dating websites, or any other social forum (BB?).

Someone offers to send you a check which you'll cash and buy something to send back to them.

When you cash a check, you give your bank account number - that's so the bank can charge it if the check bounces.

Of course the check the scammer sent was bogus so after you cashed it the bank charges your account

and you effectively just took money from your own account. Meanwhile you bought stuff and sent it to the scammer.

Or sometimes they'll try to inveigle you into sending the money back to them which from their point of view is even better.

I wish you all the best in finding a real job.

Peace and love,

CP

Same damned thing nearly happened to me. Check bounced and it was more money than I asked for. Then those scammers wanted me to pay $500 for five Vanilla reloads. Turned all of their emails to the FBI.... :tickedoff:

That sucks Benzogirl. What are vanilla reloads?  I felt 99% sure this was a scam but was so disappointed since I so wish I could find a job like that. I have another offer for a work from home job that so far seems to be legitimate. I'm going to call the company tomorrow to make absolutely sure.

Laura

Vanilla Reloads are just like gift cards. You can buy them anywhere. But what is different is that the scammers just ask you to scratch off the #s on the back of the card, give them it, and then they can buy anything online.

👎🏿👎🏿👎🏿

Betsy

oh I think I've seen those. The second offer was a scam too. I guess I'll just stop using recruiting sites all together.

I didn't know about them either until someone tried to scam me. But my bro uses recruiting all of the time with success. Best check with the BBB first and find a good one and stick with it.

❤️