Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Wide awake 12-3am due to hunger

[La...]

I'm not sure what hormones are to blame for this,  I'm eating enough during the day and especially at night in hopes I don't get woken up to bad hunger.  I usually have a piece of fruit or black coffee at 12-3am.    Then I fall back asleep only to be starving again at 5,  waiting until appropriate hour to have breakfast cause I feel shaky and weak. 

If I left anything out,  feel free to ask questions. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or similar experience?

This started happening during the last month on Etizolam.

This is embarrassing cause I don't want my parents who I still live with hearing the refrigerator door crack open at such a stupid time.   

fruit and coffee are rising your blood sugar level so that you must be hungry after 3-5 hours again. Try to eat a dark bread with very much butter on it and an egg and I would think your problem will be solved.

Yah maybe,  I can go lowish carb tomorrow,  it just seems odd that it drops so low it wakes me up.

no, I did not say low carb. I don't understand why people tend to reduce all the time. just ADD MORE fat and protein.

I have the same problem. I honestly think it's because anxiety tends to dissipate towards the end of the day and night and I can finally register that I'm hungry. During the day I'll have to remind myself sometimes that I haven't eaten or that I need to eat. Towards 12-3am though, I feel my body loosening a bit and I get incredibly hungry. Eating makes me anxious, especially knowing what I eat is going to directly alter the way I feel, so I tend to put it off until I relax enough to do it.

Ever since I started taking Benzos and during/after the taper my blood sugar levels have been wack. For months, I would get these crazy hunger cravings and get weak/dizzy/anxious until I eat. I put a banana next to my bed for several months so I could eat that as soon as I woke up and go back to sleep. It worked every time, but I no longer have the need to do that anymore. I still get the hunger occasionally just not as often or as bad and now I just go back to sleep. Also, eating 5 meals spread out the day helps. Eating every 3 hours or so even if it is just snacks.

I had this issue (and it's caused some awful weight gain I'm struggling with). It didn't matter how much I'd eat, I'd wake up in the middle of the night starving and I'd usually give in, then I'd still be just as hungry in the morning.

I blamed it on cortisol but I don't know what it was that was so unregulated in my body. It's taken a concerted effort to try to my body back in harmony and it still isn't there yet. I have a long way to go.