Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

DESPERATE to get off after failed tapers. Need advice tapering off klonopin

[Vm...]

Hello,

I have been on klonopin since may of 2015. I am on a relatively low daily dose of .5 total. I take .25 mg in the morning and .25 mg at night. I take an extra 1/4 of the .5 only as needed which is rare.

Any tips how to come off the medication. I am mainly afraid of seizures. My cousin scared the hell out of me and told me seizures are possible, even when tapering off a low dose gradually. When does the seizure threshold end and when is it safe to start the new reduction?

Also, my psychiatrist feels that I am ready to start the klonopin taper because my anxiety and panic is gone for the most part. She said her plan is to taper me off with the help of hydroxyzine/vistaril but I heard that the medication can cause seizures as well. I am SO SCARED OF SEIZURES. That's all I ever hear about.

Anyway, no one besides the people in this group listen to my concerns so that's why I am posting on the forum. 

I just want to do a dry taper from the klonopin. I am confused about the gram scale. a few people here explained it to me and I just don't get it and I also tried the liquid titration the last time and failed.

If I reduced 1/8 (a quarter split in half) of the .5 mg every day which I believe is an eighth, would that be a good place to start?

I don't want to complicate anything with liquid titration or scales. I just want to break pieces of the pill off a little at a time.

How much should I cut each time and how often should I? and most of all , when is the seizure threshold over after each cut?

Thanks guys :)

I wouldn't worry about seizures. As long as you do a controlled taper you should be fine. I think seizures are more of an issue if you are coming off of a large dose cold turkey.

I am not sure what to say about trying to cut an eighth of a pill. You can try that, but it is likely not going to be very accurate. I do dry cut using a scale. It is not hard to do. You just weigh the pills and take a little bit off each week or whatever timeframe you decide to cut. I have used this method to get from 1 mg to .5.

Good luck.

Seizures are extremely rare, and almost unheard of for someone who does a gradual taper from a low dose. When seen they are more often seen in cold turkey and rapid withdrawals from large doses and even then they are not common. I certainly would put that worry behind you. The recommended reduction rate is 5 to 10 percent every two weeks.

Thanks everyone! Hopefully this time I will actually go through the taper (for all of you who know me). I have been procrastinating for quite some time because of my seizure phobia. I had health anxiety for about two years. I am over health anxiety, besides the seizure phobia. I was worried I was having heart attacks, strokes, aneurysms....you name it. Thankfully I overcame that .The longest taper that I ever went through lasted 14 days and I reinstated because I had a horrific panic attack thinking the worst and I gave in and took the pill at full dose. Bad move! I am an admin in a health anxiety forum and one of my members gave me tips how to shave off the pill with a razor so I can get the 10% and 5 % cuts so I'll give it a go again after the holidays.

I'll keep you all updated! Thanks again :)

Thanks everyone! Hopefully this time I will actually go through the taper (for all of you who know me). I have been procrastinating for quite some time because of my seizure phobia. I had health anxiety for about two years. I am over health anxiety, besides the seizure phobia. I was worried I was having heart attacks, strokes, aneurysms....you name it. Thankfully I overcame that .The longest taper that I ever went through lasted 14 days and I reinstated because I had a horrific panic attack thinking the worst and I gave in and took the pill at full dose. Bad move! I am an admin in a health anxiety forum and one of my members gave me tips how to shave off the pill with a razor so I can get the 10% and 5 % cuts so I'll give it a go again after the holidays.

I'll keep you all updated! Thanks again :)

A razor coupled with a inexpensive scale can weigh precise doses.