Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone have this symptom?

[Ca...]

I have toxic morning wake up every morning at four am

I wake up with my heart pounding which goes on until I take a small dose of a beta blocker

I dont otherwise have any cardiac symptoms

Is this heart pounding and fast beats common when waking up like this every morning?

Is it from cortisol or from insulin?

Thanks for any feedback

I have toxic morning wake up every morning at four am

I wake up with my heart pounding which goes on until I take a small dose of a beta blocker

I dont otherwise have any cardiac symptoms

Is this heart pounding and fast beats common when waking up like this every morning?

Is it from cortisol or from insulin?

Thanks for any feedback

I have this too. I begin feeling really unwell from about 4am onwards too, and feel like reheated death till about 1pm. I am not sleeping at all right now, so I never get a break from constant sxs. To say I've had enough is an understatement. I also have the heart issue as well. I can't really do much because if I do my heart rate goes totally insane. I can't sit all day because of my buzzing/vibrating/inner trembling, but I can't move about much either. I wish I found one tiny thing that reduced this morning issue slightly but so far I am at a loss. You're certainly not alone.

Here is whats going down according to sofa; aka the wise one

DREADFUL MORNING WAKEUPS

This is all caused by cortisol levels in the early morning that begin to rise in all humans as a normal part of the waking cycle.  In withdrawal, our cortisol levels are higher than normal, which is why it feels "toxic."  Also, instead of gradually rising slowly and evening out to gently wake us up for the day, ours has a tendency to rise quickly, shoot up and peak high.  The symptoms that quickly dogpile on top of us when this happens is the fear we add to this stressful wakeup about facing another day of this sh*t. 

Here's the physical domino effect that happens inside us:

This early morning toxic awakening causes our blood sugar to destabilize.  Our glutamate neurotransmitters send signals to the pancreas to produce more insulin, then the adrenals get signals to produce more adrenaline to accommodate the extra insulin.  Adrenaline makes our hearts beat faster.  We wake up with anxiety and panic. 

When I get shot out of bed like this every morning, I eat a hardboiled egg and a handful of raw almonds--PROTEIN.  It takes an hour, but everything settles down.

Sofa

Thanks for the feedback.  I did see that last post right after I posted!!  Figures that anything really we might wonder about has probably been vetted in the ten years this site has been up!