Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Memory

[Tr...]

I think I know the answer to this question but I need some reassurance from you guys.

If I remember correctly, my memory was all right before benzo. I remember taking benzo (Xanax) and Paxil in about 2005 for anxiety. I was having a few panic attacks, and honestly didn't know what was going on. I came to see my family doctor and dismissed the idea of taking antidepressant medication. However, recurrent panic attacks keep appearing, my family doctor insisted that I need to take xanax and paxil. I remember it helps me to finish four years degree, and I enjoyed my life. I started a job upon graduation. A few months in that job that was when my anxiety was worse and I started taking Xanax 0.5mg 3 times per day for bad panic attacks. I remember crying at work so many times, feeling very bad, pitty myself for everything, lack of confidence, lack of self worth, thinking I am not smart or strong. I notice that my memory was getting bad. I never thought it is the benzo. At this time I still get nervous when talking to people at work and very jumpy. Sometimes it gets better. I notice that I don't remember where I park in the grocery store. I don't remember much about about the movies. I feel my brain is like very confused and foggy. So I thought because I didn't pay attention that was why. Then some one said " I don't understand why you have bad memory when you are so young" .  When I took Xanax for 3 times per day, I notice that if I didn't take the xanax on time, I would feel dp/dr and spaced out.I didn't know that was dp/dr until now. Then I knew it was a syptom of benzo and I started to do research and I also wanted to get off this medication, i never intend to take them long term, I want to have a baby eventually and i heard this medication would harm the baby.

My questions:

Based on my story, do you think benzo caused me to have a bad memory even when I was taking it? Make me feel I can't concentrate too?

Now, I am off benzo for five months, My memory is a little better at times but still bad.  For example, I have to write down a lot of things at work. I am also have a fear of "afraid of forgetting things" .  I feel my memory is slow and confusion now.

I want to feel reassurance so that I won't worry about my memory anymore and I know that in time I will have it back.

Tracy

Oh god yes. It's definitely the Xanax that have caused your memory issues when you were on them and now when you are off. I have problems with memory too, I think I posted a thread about feeling demented recently. Your memory will recover also, I believe the experts say that it takes about a year after withdrawal for complete healing of memory.

I think I know the answer to this question but I need some reassurance from you guys.

If I remember correctly, my memory was all right before benzo. I remember taking benzo (Xanax) and Paxil in about 2005 for anxiety. I was having a few panic attacks, and honestly didn't know what was going on. I came to see my family doctor and dismissed the idea of taking antidepressant medication. However, recurrent panic attacks keep appearing, my family doctor insisted that I need to take xanax and paxil. I remember it helps me to finish four years degree, and I enjoyed my life. I started a job upon graduation. A few months in that job that was when my anxiety was worse and I started taking Xanax 0.5mg 3 times per day for bad panic attacks. I remember crying at work so many times, feeling very bad, pitty myself for everything, lack of confidence, lack of self worth, thinking I am not smart or strong. I notice that my memory was getting bad. I never thought it is the benzo. At this time I still get nervous when talking to people at work and very jumpy. Sometimes it gets better. I notice that I don't remember where I park in the grocery store. I don't remember much about about the movies. I feel my brain is like very confused and foggy. So I thought because I didn't pay attention that was why. Then some one said " I don't understand why you have bad memory when you are so young" .  When I took Xanax for 3 times per day, I notice that if I didn't take the xanax on time, I would feel dp/dr and spaced out.I didn't know that was dp/dr until now. Then I knew it was a syptom of benzo and I started to do research and I also wanted to get off this medication, i never intend to take them long term, I want to have a baby eventually and i heard this medication would harm the baby.

My questions:

Based on my story, do you think benzo caused me to have a bad memory even when I was taking it? Make me feel I can't concentrate too?

Now, I am off benzo for five months, My memory is a little better at times but still bad.  For example, I have to write down a lot of things at work. I am also have a fear of "afraid of forgetting things" .  I feel my memory is slow and confusion now.

I want to feel reassurance so that I won't worry about my memory anymore and I know that in time I will have it back.

Tracy

Yep, I was the same on stupid doses of Diclazepam. My memory was shot. I am still having some issues with short term memory too. I set myself little 'tasks' that involve having to think about something like writing a word down and seeing how many other words I can derive from it. Sounds silly, but it really does help me. I was much worse ON Benzos than I am off and I have to keep reminding myself of that because it's hard to recall how much these drugs affected us while we were on them. I'm surprised NASA weren't interested in recruiting me because I spent so much time in space lol. Right now it feels as if I am coming back to Earth but suffering immense G forces and burning in the atmosphere. We'll all get their in the end, we'll find our way back.  :hug: