Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

My history with benzo usage.

[Ca...]

Hello and thank you for allowing me to become a member of your group. I have been on Xanax for the last 22 yrs. I was given it along with various antidepressants after a hysterectomy.  Dosages have ranged from 3 mg / day to 12 mg / day.

Most recently I have been taking 6 mg a day for the past 5 yrs. I hit a tolerance level in September and tried the Ashton Method to taper to Valium then taper off of Valium. I am also going thru some Thyroid & Adrenal issues so have been having adrenaline surges causing spikes in my anxiety levels.

I was unable to continue with the Ashton Method and admitted myself into a hospital. While there, I was put on Remeron 30 mg , & Ambien ER 12.5 mg at bedtime , Klonopin  .5 mg twice daily & Propranolol 80 mg LA, twice daily. And my Xanax was cut from 6 mg to 4 mg daily in 3 days. I spent 2 wks in the hospital.

My current psych Dr wants me to continue to taper off Xanax at the rate of 1/2 to 1 mg per month. I feel that this may be too fast since I have been on it for 22 yrs.

I also need to taper off of the other meds but have been advised to taper only one med at a time.

I am desperate for help, as this torture has been severe for the past 12 yrs while I was receiving high doses of bio-identical progesterone , estrogen, DHEA & testosterone. I have been off of all of those hormones since 2012.

I have heard of a water titration method but know nothing about it.

I am not sure if I should try the Ashton Method again or slowly taper the Xanax & how slowly. I am a mess and need help desperately.  Thank you for listening.

Hello Catherine-lady of hope 68  :hug: Welcome to BenzoBuddies!. 

You should taper one med at a time!  The best way to minimize withdrawal symptoms is a slow taper.  It gives your central nervous system time to adjust to each reduction.  It is suggested to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. 

We have a great bunch of people here, our members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, and will share their experiences with you.

I am glad you are familiar with the Ashton Manual, its an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. It was written by an expert in the field.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Titration Taper Plans Board You will find some helpful stickied threads at the top of this board.

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita