Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Questions about upping dosage while withdrawal is happening...Please help!

[in...]

Hi,

Thanks for reading my question. 

I tried to taper off of 1.5mg of Klonopin that I have been on for about 8 months now. 

In June, I tapered very quickly from 1.5mg, to 1mg, to .5mg without any withdrawal.  Then I needed to go on them due a life situation.

In September, I tried a second withdrawal. I thought I went slowly, .125mg once a week for a month but then I hit so many withdrawals that I could not stick it out.  So I upped my dose back to 1.5mg for about 2 weeks and felt balanced.  Then I tried to taper .125 and hold for two weeks.  Within a week, bad withdrawal started to happen.  Now I have been back up to 1.5mg for about 1 1/2 months and still feeling some withdrawal symptoms: night terrors, insomnia, detached feeling to feeling, and brain fog.  I take my dose once a day.

My question is.  My doctor is willing to up my dose to stable off.  That could be at 2 mg or 2.25 mg, taken twice a day instead of once.  My plan would be to level off then microtaper.  I think I kindled and am not sure what to do now. 

Would it be best to microtaper from where I am, at the 1.5mg? 

Would it increase the risk for more serious withdrawal symptoms if I leveled off on an increased dose then microtaper from there, very slowly?

Only being on these benzos for 8 months, doing a year plus taper means having the drug in my system much longer.  Would that set up for a worse withdrawal?

Would take a dose once a day or twice a day benefit for a microtaper?

It feels more loving to my body to increase, stabilize on a twice a day dose, then microtaper from there.  I just have not experience with this drug.

I am just looking for advise so I can make this decision, which scares me so much.

Thank you again for your support.

Tim

I would try to stabilize and hold where you are at. Then microtaper from there. Updosing doesn't always work. It may take a while to stabilize , but you will be glad you did. Once you feel better , go slow and you will be ok. Hang in there. It is scary, but once you get back to stable, you are in control and things will get better. I recommend cutting no more than 5% every two weeks. Slow and steady