Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Level of discomfort during taper?

[...]

What is a normal level of discomfort during a benzo taper?  I have met with 4 different psychiatrists, and they all seem to say different things. 

Some say that there should be "no discomfort" - I should hold any dosage as long as I need to to maintain "no discomfort".  Another one said that I should continue to taper down while tolerating as much discomfort as I can - but trying to keep it to about a level 3 (from 1-10). 

I met with a psychiatrist yesterday who told me that I should DOUBLE my dosage so that I feel fine (no discomfort at all), because I still have lots of symptoms during my taper.  I was shocked that he would suggest that I double my dosage.  I told him that it would significantly lengthen my taper - he acknowledged this.

Why is there so little consensus among psychiatrists?  What do you think - what is appropriate discomfort to allow for a safe taper?

There is NO "normal level of discomfort".

In addition to the infinite differences in everyone's physiology, WD difficulty will be a function of which benzo, taper rate, time on benzo, environmental stressors, etc, etc.

I fact, most people can withdraw from benzos with very little discomfort, but many of us here on BB experience WD sxs ranging from moderate to difficult.

While doing cut-and-hold I reached a point where my sxs were intolerable, and I just quit trying, resigned to being on diazepam forever.  But later I began a daily liquid microtaper, and was able to completely withdraw with only some occasional minor sxs.

I don't think there is a normal level of discomfort that can be applied equally to all. As an analogy your threshold for pain may be totally different than mine. So I just tolerate this withdrawal as best as I can by listening to my body very carefully. The doctor can't feel your discomfort. Only you can so I'd make sure that you're always up to date with your scripts and follow your own taper. Make your own plan. I fully accept some, at times quite a bit of discomfort but keep tapering. If I ever feel like giving up I'll do the liquid taper instead of the dry cutting I'm doing now. We're all very different but really you're your own best friend through this. Just get enough Meds to see you through with whatever sxs seem tolerable to you. B

That is likely because there is no right answer. Everyone is unique to this process. No two are the same. One person might be extremely sensitive to the tiniest of cuts and another might tolerate the recommended reduction rate of 5 to 10 percent every two weeks. Symptoms can be physical or they can be mental, or both. The goal of course of a taper is to minimize symptoms are best as possible. Sometimes this may mean holding a bit if additional time is needed to stabilize between cuts.