Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Quit smoking during your withdrawals

[e0...]

[e0...]
I'm 41, I've been smoking half my life. My withdrawals are off the charts right now. My wife quit cold turkey 8 months ago and suggest for me to as well, for it may reduce a lot of anxiety. Anyone quit smoking (cold turkey) during this process? Would that be one more problem with benzo wd?

Quitting tobacco can be one of the most difficult things in your life.

Tapering off a benzo can be one of the most difficult things in your life.

Why would you want to do both at the same time?  ::)

I agree. Im not changing my diet or going off sugar. Already fighting two beasts, menopause and benzos. Had no choice on doing both

I quit smoking 17 years ago. I used nicotine gum, switched over to sugarless gum. Everytime time I craved I got on my exercise machine cuz nobody craves a smoke while working out. When u r ready to quit maybe this will help

Still have a chewing gum habit

Quitting tobacco can be one of the most difficult things in your life.

Tapering off a benzo can be one of the most difficult things in your life.

Why would you want to do both at the same time?  ::)

Couldn't have said it better myself. That's gospel sht right there!

Smoking never bothered us a bit on this end. Not a bit! Tackle the smokes later. You need FULL on focus for this trip you're on.

I read that smoking does interfere with metabolization of Valium - also I read a study that those that smoke do have a slightly harder taper......I for one believe that my body will heal quicker if i can quit the smoking prior to getting below 5mg - thats my goal - that and I want to do the Whole 30!

The fight with the benzo takes a lot of time so some of us are thinking of fighting another devil in the meantime.

If you are a superhero - and there are people like that - do it.

If you are already struggling with the benzo wd - one drug after the other. And I would also taper the cigarettes.

Best wishes...

I read that smoking does interfere with metabolization of Valium - also I read a study that those that smoke do have a slightly harder taper......I for one believe that my body will heal quicker if i can quit the smoking prior to getting below 5mg - thats my goal - that and I want to do the Whole 30!

Isn't it wonderful that folks read all of this useful info, but never provide a source or a link so we can all read it.

::)

Isn't it wonderful that folks read all of this useful info, but never provide a source or a link so we can all read it.

yap. I would like to have those articles because I am collecting them like an squirrel does with nuts.

While very good at what you do and how u help - sometimes.......

I'll

See if I can find again AND post........as I've said over and over, I have much in the way of cognitive FOG - which makes this sort of thing difficult (oh and 2 young children) but I will dig, find and post when I can.. ;)

I'll

See if I can find again AND post........as I've said over and over, I have much in the way of cognitive FOG - which makes this sort of thing difficult (oh and 2 young children) but I will dig, find and post when I can.. ;)

Well, unfortunately, I guess you were just the object of one of my big pet peeves.  There is so much fear, rumor, and misinformation posted here on BB that I often think BB does more harm than good.  IMO, an undocumented "...I read..." or "...I heard..." is just an unsubstantiated rumor.  And unfortunately, many folks actually make decisions based on wrong info they see here on BB (and elsewhere on the web) 

If there really is some reliable info out there about a relationship between tobacco and benzos, or tobacco and tapering, I would very much like to read it.

Really didn't mean to rattle your cage, just trying to make a point about the importance of sharing trustworthy info, or even just a chance to evaluate the info and make my own decision about its trustworthiness.  :) :)

I'm off and on trying to quit using vaping instead but to no avail. I don't read inconsequential articles about stuff like this. My goal is focused on the kissing the Valium goodbye. but with the smoking it's driving my husband nuts since he quit and vapes instead, it's extremely expensive here $14.00 a pack, and it's well documented that it's extremely unhealthy if not deadly. Having Said that I just can't seem to quit right now. One thing at a time for me. I'm also cutting 1/4 of my Remeron which has turned out to be a bit of a problem but full dose isn't working very well so may as well. But smoking no way. That's too much to ask. Others have done it though so anything is possible I guess. B

I'll

Well, unfortunately, I guess you were just the object of one of my big pet peeves.  There is so much fear, rumor, and misinformation posted here on BB that I often think BB does more harm than good.  IMO, an undocumented "...I read..." or "...I heard..." is just an unsubstantiated rumor.  And unfortunately, many folks actually make decisions based on wrong info they see here on BB (and elsewhere on the web) 

If there really is some reliable info out there about a relationship between tobacco and benzos, or tobacco and tapering, I would very much like to read it.

Really didn't mean to rattle your cage, just trying to make a point about the importance of sharing trustworthy info, or even just a chance to evaluate the info and make my own decision about its trustworthiness.  :) :)

All good, Builder - It wasnt what you said that rattled my cage and i appreciate what you're saying - it was how it was written and received......here is one study that talks about it...

LMK what you think - I'd love to keep my cigarettes (and my lungs, skin, etc)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11524025

Thanks for that...its the kind of info I respect.  Unfortunately, the overall impact of that article is somewhat inconclusive  The effects vary from one benzo to another, and there are both some positives and negatives to  smoking while on benzos.

As a generalization, it seems pretty obvious to me that the fewer changes you make to your life while tapering, the better.  If you smoked while actively medicating, then it's probably best to continue, at least until you're off.  It's the same logic as "...taper one drug at a time."

As an aside, I was in a 30 day hospital-based alcohol rehab many years ago, and and the "alky ward" was the only are of the hospital where smoking was permitted.  Again, their philosphy was that trying to discontinue tobacco while getting of of alcohol was counterproductive.

Thanks for that...its the kind of info I respect.  Unfortunately, the overall impact of that article is somewhat inconclusive  The effects vary from one benzo to another, and there are both some positives and negatives to  smoking while on benzos.

As a generalization, it seems pretty obvious to me that the fewer changes you make to your life while tapering, the better.  If you smoked while actively medicating, then it's probably best to continue, at least until you're off.  It's the same logic as "...taper one drug at a time."

As an aside, I was in a 30 day hospital-based alcohol rehab many years ago, and and the "alky ward" was the only are of the hospital where smoking was permitted.  Again, their philosphy was that trying to discontinue tobacco while getting of of alcohol was counterproductive.

I wasn't suggesting that we HAD to quit smoking and certainly I think it's probably comforting to many (smoking) - the only reason I jumped in here was because it's been on my mind..... - and for me - I'm disgusted with myself each and every time I light one up - (I don't enjoy it anymore - I'm just "feeding the beast" -

so to have that off my plate - would be nice.......I have zero judgement - My mother discontinued Valium  in the 80's (also a smoker) and wouldn't have dreamt of trying to quit -

I tried to backtrack and find the piece about smokers having a slightly harder time with recovery - haven't been able to find yet - if i do - i'll post.....

So NOT quitting my ciggys. There's just no way. They are a source of relief for me on so many levels.

One day...someday...but definitely not today!

Peace&Love

Hope&Faith

Yes, "just feeding the beast"...that's where I was when I quit my 35 year/pack (or more) per day habit.  And quitting cigarettes is the absolutely the best thing I ever did for myself.

But, if I had tried to quick smoking and quit benzos at the same time, I certainly would have failed at both.

[e0...]
Folks, thanks again for all your responses. I do believe I'll go with the nicotine gum on this. I'm already living the benzo nightmare, what have I got to lose? If the cigarette wds become too much...... I'll just go back and try to reduce my cigarette intake. But definitely beating the benzo demon first 👍