Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Tappering .5 Xanax after long time use

[...]

I have read that discontinuing xanax can cause tinnutus. I have had similar issues with zoloft but my tinnutus went away once I stopped taking zoloft.

I have been taking xanax for sleep for over 4 years .5

I currently split the .5 into 4 pieces . I have reduced 1/4 so far and started this on Nov 8.

What can I do to prevent onset of tinnutus?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Bi...]

• [sh...]

I currently have been informed from my first intro post and a PM from some a great member, my taper is to aggressive.

I have a good gram scale. It has a +/- 3 which is significant.

It's one step up from the regular gemini.. it's the gemini pro-

So moving foward I need to weight the .5 mg and figure out 5 % of the total?

Ok I weighed the .5 xanax... it weights. 0.126

Since my scale has a variance of +/-3 how with this mess up my tapper? Also since I've been informed that I started to fast am I supposed to updose?

Please help as I really don't want to end up with Tinnutus. Slight buzzing in my left ear the past 4 days now

Anyone?

Should I start again?

So my pill weights .126 and 10% of that is .0126

So I subtract the .0126 - .126 =.1134

So the pill will now weigh .1134 which is 10% should I start here ?? Or stick with the 1/4 I already take off? I wantto prevent tinnutus and have a slight buzzing in left ear.

Since I had to take my pill with no replies I went to .1134 and took that.

Also when I originally was splitting the .5 into 1/4 pieces I was told that was to much so what % was the -1/4 from the original .5?  I would always take the bigger piece.

I can always go back to the -1/4 but I don't want to mess anything up.

Anyone?

Should I start again?

So my pill weights .126 and 10% of that is .0126

So I subtract the .0126 - .126 =.1134

So the pill will now weigh .1134 which is 10% should I start here ?? Or stick with the 1/4 I already take off? I wantto prevent tinnutus and have a slight buzzing in left ear.

Since I had to take my pill with no replies I went to .1134 and took that.

Also when I originally was splitting the .5 into 1/4 pieces I was told that was to much so what % was the -1/4 from the original .5? I would always take the bigger piece.

I can always go back to the -1/4 but I don't want to mess anything up.

1/4 is always 25%, no matter what.  And 25% of .5 is .125.  And 25% is always a REALLY big cut.

Tinnitus is a very common wd sxs.  Annoying, but not dangerous or disabling.  TBH, it that's the worst symptom you have, consider yourself lucky.

No one can really tell you the right way to taper.  You can get some general suggestions, like "...no more than 10% every 14 days" but what you really have to do is "...listen to your body".  Only you really know what is happening as you try to lower your dose, and only you know what an "acceptable" level of discomfort is. 

While many will disagree, I believe that if your sxs become difficult, and don't resolve in 5-10 days, then you should go back to whatever dose you were comfortable at.

My main concern is preventing tinnutus.

I have a very very slight buzzing in my left ear. That's my only issue atm. It might be I just noticed it.. but I don't want it to get any worse and if anything get better.

I don't care how long the taper takes but my ears come first.

I have no other discomfort atm. I'm Just worried about preventing tinnutus .

What is my best course of action at this point in your opinion ?

My main concern is preventing tinnutus.

I have an very very slight buzzing in my left ear. That's my only issue atm. It might be I just noticed it.. but I don't want it to get worse and if anything get better.

I don't care how long the taper takes but my ears come first.

I have no other discomfort atm. Just worried about preventing tinnutus

What is my best course of action at this point in your opinion ?

A slow daily taper with liquid.

Ok so 5% reductions?

Also stay on my new updose? Or go back to the 25% until I buy everything needed for liquid titration?

I watched the video on titration but got very confused.  I have watched many tutorials but get confused with the math and if in fact I need a graduated cylinder and if my xanax is soluble in water alone. I have kids and would like to my the mixture the night before preferably with no milk so kids don't think it's a drink.. but I'll do it if I need to and take need precautions.

So do really need pestle and mortar? Graduated cyclinder?

Tell me what I need and I'll buy it all today.

This is what I read

-A few 10 ml syringes

- a few  1ml syringes

- a jar like the one in the video

- purified clean water (not tap water)

- 10ml syringe to measure up 100 ml of water      and put it in the jar. 

- 100ml and put pill in water the night BEFORE.  Then put the lid on and shake it up and put it in the fridge for the next morning. 

- When you wake up in the morning,  shake up the jar 

-Then take the 10ml or 1ml syringe and remove the desired percentage.  1ml = 1% and .5ml = 1/2 % removal for that day.  Use the appropriate syringe to remove the desired amount. 

The amount I need to take from syringe. I'm coming cofused.

I would need all the amount minus 10 % correct?

What you do from here depends on what your sxs are, and what your tolerance for the sxs is.  If you are functional and your sxs are tolerable, then I wouldn't updose. 

There really isn't any math involved in a liquid taper; there is some simple (gradeschool level) arithmetic...adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing.  If you choose a 1:10 or 1:100 mix ratio, even the mutliplication and division is just a matter of moving the decimal point.

All that's really required is 1ml and 10ml syringe, and a basic mix/storage jar (I used empty food jars, like olive/pickle/salad dressing etc. jars).  A 100ml graduated cylinder OR a 50-60ml syringe can be helpful.  You don't need a mortar/pestle.  If you want to crush the tablets first, you can do it with the back of a spoon.  But if you want, you can use a M&P.

Think of it this way.  Instead of just having 1mg or  .5mg pills, you liquid is like a bottle of .01mg "pills". So you can adjust your dose in decrements of .01mg at a time.  Ex: .5, .49, .48, .47, .46, etc.

But I will need .1134 which is the total after 10% is removed? This would be 11ml?

.1008 is 20% so I guess I'll start on this for tommorow.

For that I need the syringe to read .099ml because each ml is .01mg correct?

Actually I'm all wrong because what about all of the 100 ml of water? I would only be taking out a drop in the bucket of that 100ml of water.. sorry I'm  confused now.

Also how bad is it that I did updose today because I panicked and no one replied to my post.

But I will need .1134 which is the total after 10% is removed? This would be 11ml?

Based on the other post here, that .1134 is a weight value.  If you work with liquid, you can forget about weights, it not relevant.  Your liquid (and your taper rate) will be based on how many milligrams of xanax are in each milliter of liquid.  It doesn't matter what the tablets weigh.

.1008 is 20% so I guess I'll start on this for tommorow.

For that I need the syringe to read 10ml because each ml is .01mg correct? 

If you do a 1mg in 100ml of liquid, then .01mg is 1ml.  That is either a 1ml syringe full, or the 1 mark on a 10ml syringe

Also how bad is it that I did updose today because I panicked and no one replied to my post. 

IMO, its probably a good thing.

I am in the same place you are but my schedule is different. I drop to the next cut for 1 day, then go back to the level I was at for 2 days, then drop back down and do this a total of three times. It looks like .375 .50 .50 .375.50.50 .375 .50.50 and  I then go to every other day .375 .50 .375. 50. 375 .50 then drop to.375 for 2 weeks to level out. Then will start the process again at .25. I am being medically supervised and check in every other week. I started at .75 and tried directly tapering and it was rough. So this is the new schedule. Maybe you should try it?

I would like to go very slow.

Is 3% every 14 days slow enough?

I watched the video again.. Basically I'm using the syringe to take out the water that I will be throwing away. I'll be drinking the left over in the container. This makes more sense now.

Ok can you help set me up for a 3% decrease 1 time every14 days? Also include my current cut? I'll put the pill in the water the night before.

I would like to go very slow.

Is 3% every 14 days slow enough?

Well, that's certainly slow.  But slow is good.

Also maybe a more concentrate solution? 50ml water? Or bad idea? 100 is the norm?

You can choose any ratio you want.  As I said, to most folks prefer 1:10 or 1:100 because the calculations are so simple.

I watched the video again.. Basically I'm using the syringe to take out the water that I will be throwing away. I'll be drinking the left over in the container. 

IMO, that's silly.  If you want dose 45ml just pull out 45ml and take it.  The whole "pull and throw away" concept is silly, inefficient, and wasteful.  Like I said, just think of your liquid as a bottle of .1mg (0r .01mg) "pills"  Take the number of "pills" you need for your dose. 

Ok can you help set me up for a 3% decrease 1 time every14 days?

.5mgX.03=.015mg

.015/14=.001mg cut per day

If you do a 1mg=10ml solution...

.500mg (5.00ml)

.499mg (4.99ml)

.498mg (4.98ml)

.497mg (4.97ml)

.496mg (4.96ml)

etc

I don't think we have talked about dissolving the tablets.  Xanax is NOT water-soluble.  It must first be dissolved in a solvent (vodka, propylene glycol) then diluted with the appropriate amount of water.  It's also lipid (fat) soluble, and can be dissolved in milk.

How much vodka? Or I can use milk is guess.

So I will be stepping down and holding every 14 days. Or cutting everday?

So I need to include the cut I already made also. Which was 25% so I guess I can start 15% ? Thoughts?

I'll do the 1:10 because I'm lactose intolerate.

42.5 ml is what I guess I'm at now.

.075 which is 15% of .5 mg

Then .075-.5mg=0.425mg

Convert .0.425 to ml by taking

0.425÷0.01 = 42.5 ML. This is 1:100. ?

0.425÷0.10 = 4.25 ML. This is 1:10.  ?

So tonight 1 pill in 10 ml of milk.

Tommorow pull 4.25 ML-dose for 14 days?

In 14 days

.40375÷0.01=40.375ml---------- 5% 1:100

.40375÷0.10=4.03ml----------------5% 1:10

As you see I'm backtracking for large cut I made because I wanted to do it right.. thoughts?

I might have messed up on the math.

How much vodka? Or I can use milk is guess.

For vodka or PG, 2ml per 1mg, then add 8 or 98 ml water.  Milk will work, but it must be full-fat.

So I will be stepping down and holding every 14 days. Or cutting everday?

With a daily taper, it shouldn't be necessary to hold, especially as slow as your planning.

So I need to include the cut I already made also. Which was 25% so I guess I can start 15% ? Thoughts?

I'll do the 1:10 because I'm lactose intolerate.

42.5 ml is what I guess I'm at now.

.075 which is 15% of .5 mg

Then .075-.5mg=0.425mg

Convert .0.425 to ml by taking

0.425÷0.01 = 42.5 ML. This is 1:100. ?

0.425÷0.10 = 4.25 ML. This is 1:10.  ?

Correct.  Just move the decimal 1 place right for 1:10, or 2 places right for 1:100.

So tonight 1 pill in 10 ml of milk.

Tommorow pull 4.25 ML-dose for 14 days?

If your going to do the 3%/14  days, its

4.22. etc

Because your starting at .425 instead of .5 I originally calculated, it will actually be about 3.3%

In 14 days

.40375÷0.01=40.375ml---------- 5% 1:100

.40375÷0.10=4.03ml----------------5% 1:10

As you see I'm backtracking for large cut I made because I wanted to do it right.. thoughts?

Last question for tonight lol

How do I achieve those numbers on a 1ml syringe if it's those little lines in between the numbers is 5 lines not like the really good syringes with 10 lines.

Last question for tonight lol

How do I achieve those numbers on a 1ml syringe if it's those little lines in between the numbers is 5 lines not like the really good syringes with 10 lines.

The syringe with 5 lines between each number is .02ml per mark.  The space between the lines is .01ml.  Or you could just do 4.24, 4.24, 4.22, 4.22, 4.20, 4.20, etc.

But none of that is really important.  An "error" of .01ml isn't going to have any effect on anything.

To measure out 4.24ml, I would draw 4ml into a 10ml syringe, then .24ml into a 1ml syringe.

All that really matters is that you are gradually reducing your daily intake by small decrements, and at the end of 14 days, you will be at .41mg (4.10ml).  Any day-to-day errors or deviations will be self cancelling.

Ok I ordered good 1 ml syringes..  what I have is garbage. I'll go back to the 1ml on Monday when they come In .I ordered  from amazon. The 1ml I have has like no suction.

So for now I took 100ml milk and put it in a container with the pill tommorow I'll shake and take 42.4ml

How is it possible that after consuming 42.4 ml this morning I have more left for another dosage?

That would mean I have almost 2 pills in there which I don't.

Well u said don't throw away was I supposed to just remove the 42.4 and drink the remaining liquid?

Shoot I think I messed up?

How is it possible that after consuming 42.4 ml this morning I have more left for another dosage?

That would mean I have almost 2 pills in there which I don't.

Well u said don't throw away was I supposed to just remove the 42.4 and drink the remaining liquid?

Shoot I think I messed up?

No, I did not!

I said 1) make a batch of liquid, and 2) extract the amount that you need for the dose and drink it.

If your doc gave a scrip for a liquid med and said take one teaspoon per day, you would open the bottle, pour out one teaspoon, put the cap back on the bottle, and swallow the teaspoon.  That's all you need to do.  If you want a 42.4ml dose, just open your batch, take out 42.4ml, and drink it.

So I didn't mess up?

That 42.4 ml was my dose for today correct?

Also if I did take the correct amount how come I have enough left for tommorow?? How is that possible?

Sorry for being a pain in the xxxx

So I didn't mess up?

That was my dose for today correct?

Well, I don't know.

Yesterday you were talking about doing a 1mg=10ml solution, and dosing 4.24ml.  Today your talking about 42.4ml which would be correct for a 1mg=100ml liquid.

Which did you do, and how much liquid did you actually drink?