Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

"Rescue Doses"

[Be...]

Ok fellow buddies-we need to rename "rescue dose" something more apt...like " fuck you up good doses", or "immediate retardation doses", or maybe something catchier like"zombie dose"? We cannot EVER do Benzos, or barbiturates, or even alcohol if we want to keep our FREEDOM! Please don't think it's OK to take "just one" because our brains CANNOT HANDLE these poisons. The longer we are FREE the easier it is to stay that way. I took one .25 mg tablet as I hadn't slept at all for months. My Drs said I could go back on the damn things but other than that they had nothing. I was a 4 y/o in the body of a 52 y/o man thanks to taking that one " rescue dose ". No one I know has benefited from taking rescue doses. Do anything else but please, don't take any "rescue doses". Same same as rusky roulette, me hearties.....

I feel this to be much too subjective. I successfully used a few .125 rescue doses while tapering around .5, and that was maybe once every 3 or 4 weeks, without any rebound, and it helped.

I think the problem is that people then start taking them way too much and completely screw up their blood levels during their taper (especially with the longer half-life benzos). While it would certainly be better for people to simply tough through some symptoms, for others it's not possible. Unfortunately what you're describing about taking a rescue dose seems just like what you did with this thread.

This must show how much you are struggling though, and I am sorry for that, I hope you are well soon. Certainly being on for as long as you were, and then COMPLETELY FREE, yeah, you might want to stay away from the GABA substances. Best of luck with your recovery.

You are correct that at the time I took my "rescue dose" I hadn't slept literally for months due to negligent Drs and the fear of liability. I was totally crackers because my provider had no one to refill my script for 8 days while I was in a detox much faster than protocols allow now. But the cost to me for one nights sleep was way too high and I'm still paying for it mentally. I have been off all Benzos since September 2014 and I would be much further along recovery-wise if incompetents at VA ( tho VA is much better now ) and the private Drs I paid for had done their jobs. That being said-show me any literature or any responsible party who says during after completing your "taper" or whatever the word of the week is that taking Benzos after detoxing is an "ok" thing. The Buddies I wrote to were completely off Benzos and, while subjective, I resent strongly the word "rescue" being used in this context as it gives these drugs a positive they don't deserve. They're only good for seizures and certain types of psychological shock ( many other less harmful substances work as well ) and they deserve to be called out for the poison that they are. I hope this clarifies what I meant. I meant nothing negative regarding anyone tapering-the good Dr I had first understood and allowed for an extra dose or two per week. I apologize for my murkiness.

No I completely understand you. And thats the fun part, the lack of literature for any of us to bring to light, because a lot doesn't exist. And symptoms are so incredibly random. I understand your anger, this whole thing sucks, and I'm yet to see the worst of it. Good luck.

I have taken 5mg doses 6 times since being off...4 times  for plane travel and twice for CT scans (I'm claustrophobic).  Each time it made the situation much more tolerable, and has never caused any unpleasant effects.

Having had a dependency on benzos is NOT the same as having had an addiction to  mood-altering drugs.  There is no buzz or euphoria  associated with benzos, and hence, no craving or "drug-seeking" behaviour.

But if you personally believe its in your best interest to avoid any further contact with benzos, you are certainly free to make that choice.

Yes and I don't advocate prohibition or stopping others from getting these Ned's if that's what they prefer. I do advocate a very strict protocol for any Benzo virgins. I went on the damn things for what's now called PTSD and I tried getting off them about 7months after starting them but I couldn't sleep. I was working 24 hr shifts on 911 rotation and had to get some sleep. My Dr and friend was told by the pharmaceutical rep that the new drug Xanax was not the slightest addictive and I was "the perfect patient "..lol. So no, I hate them as I have from almost the beginning. I was never on more than 1-1.5 mg. per day but it was since 1985 until 2014. It was like being in prison. Anyway I mean mine as a cautionary story and I wish no ill on anyone and I again apologise if anyone was offended.

I have taken 5mg doses 6 times since being off...4 times  for plane travel and twice for CT scans (I'm claustrophobic).  Each time it made the situation much more tolerable, and has never caused any unpleasant effects.

Having had a dependency on benzos is NOT the same as having had an addiction to  mood-altering drugs.  There is no buzz or euphoria  associated with benzos, and hence, no craving or "drug-seeking" behaviour.

But if you personally believe its in your best interest to avoid any further contact with benzos, you are certainly free to make that choice.

While I think a post-jump rescue dose is no big deal, I have to vehemently disagree with the no craving or drug seeking behavior comment. My sister was severely addicted to xanax and yes, if you take enough of it, there is euphoria and a high (I also speak from personal experience.) Drug-seeking behavior is actually quite common during a taper, as myself and many other people I know have experienced it when it wasn't present pre-taper. There are forums and forums dedicated to people who use benzos recreationally. It's a thing.

I agree, rescue doses can be like the rescue cigarette for somebody stopping smoking. but you mentioned that you took it for sleep. why no tried non benzo meds first. i'm not a big fan of, but something like 100mg seroquel will knock out most and i think is pretty safe occasionally

Hey Locutus-great name, bro. I had tried everything but I know now I was in AWS thanks to the many fuck-ups done and I tried valerian, meletonin, everything suggested and nothing worked. VA asked if I wanted back on Benzos because the PTSD was SO BAD. I thought about all I had been through and there was no way...rather die than take that poison. I saw and spoke to the dead, relived the worst calls over and over for months-I was boo coo crackers. My wife calls it "the Dark Ages"...lol. I never would've made it w/o her. It gets better slowly ONCE YOU QUIT THE DAMN THINGS. The only answer for this is complete abstinence from all Benzos, barbiturates. And dependence is pretty much the same as Addiction. There's plenty of literature out there but I do rely on the Brits and Europeans as they seem to take these issues seriously as far as treatment,etc. Good luck and be patient with yourselves.

I've taken a couple of rescue doses but not since jumping off 5 months ago. It was during my taper. But yeah...it kind of relaxed me and made me get a really good sleep but it didnt take away my mental symptoms. I'm sure if I took them again for another 2 days straight my mental symptoms would have left but I'd have been back to square one on my taper and basically would have been reinstated. So I don't really feel the need to take one cause it wont do much. I'd only take it again if I was going to reinstate.