Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Meeting with psychiatrist

[Br...]

I am meeting with a new psychiatrist this afternoon.  I have been getting my rx through my internist for the past five years or so.

Any suggestions on how to approach the doctor on the ashton method?  Or get them to work with me to taper very very slowly?

Thank you

I am meeting with a new psychiatrist this afternoon.  I have been getting my rx through my internist for the past five years or so.

Any suggestions on how to approach the doctor on the ashton method?  Or get them to work with me to taper very very slowly?

Thank you

Many docs don't think slow tapers are necessary or good.  And you really don't need a doc to "work with you".  All you  need is a reliable supply of meds, and you can taper as you see fit.

People have different experiences with pdocs and tapering.  Some have really unfortunate experiences where the pdoc insists on a very rapid taper and dismisses Ashton completely.  Does this doc know you want to taper?  I'd probably play things by ear for a little while.  Maybe mention the possibility of tapering in the future but continue to get your prescribed dose.  You can taper on your own with help and support from the BB community.

I was lucky as I had the same pdoc for 25yrs and a very good relationship.  Even still, I have directed my own taper.  My pdoc thought/thinks I can go much faster or, in the alternative, I should just stay on for life.  He thinks all my wd is due to returning underlying anxiety (not!  I have zero anxiety).

I just nod when he speaks, collect my refill rx and go on my merry way.

just saw builder's post  -  agree!

I've read many horror stories from people here who have been rapidly forced off benzo's.

Hope it goes well for you!

Thank you guys! I am super nervous about tapering alone. My internist just gave me six months of valium like that so I think I could work with her but she at the same time referred me to the expert "pdoc".

Thank you again for responding!!!