Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Yorkshire Meet for Coffee

[Po...]

This is a bit of a long shot but thought it's worth asking. My Dad is about 6 months off  Tamazapam and is still struggling with the constant worry and anxiety associated with the brain  healing itself.

He lives in Yorkshire and I was wondering if there is anyone local who would be kind enough to take time out to maybe meet him for a coffee. He'd really like to talk to someone face to face who is going through or has gone through something similar.

Hi Ponygirl

I am in Scotland and know quite a few people in England, some on BB, some who are not.  I could ask around for you if you would like. 

Fiona  :thumbsup:

Hi Ponygirl

I have been reading your previous posts.  I am so sorry your dad is going through this at his age.  I am 62 and it has hit me very, very hard.  Did he want to come off himself because of the driving issue?  He really needs to go very slowly with the tapering.  I wouldn't recommend that he tapers as fast as he is doing right now.  My concern is because of his age.  To be honest, at his age, I don't think I would even try to come off the drug but of course that is only my opinion.  GPs really don't know enough about these drugs and they certainly don't know how badly withdrawal can affect people.  I will ask around and see who I can find in the UK, preferably someone in Yorkshire. 

If you are on Facebook there is a page there called "Beating Benzos".  It is run by a Buddie from Cornwall.  She is in her 70s and I am sure could give you some good advice too.

I really feel for you.

Fiona  :smitten:

Ok, I  must have missed that when I was reading your earlier posts. 

I have contacted a couple of people and will see what they come up with.

What symptoms is he struggling with right now?

Fiona

He is constantly worrying about everything from the car fuel gauge is broken to the water butt may freeze and break. He says himself the stuff he's worrying about is daft but he can't help it and works himself into a right state. His GP prescribed a SSRI drug for him but my Mum and I researched and found this can be just as bad to withdraw from. He's hoping to see is pschycotherpist in the very near future as tried a CBT but it's more aimed at people with external issues such as stress at work etc.

Hi Ponygirl

Worrying and obsessing may well be withdrawal symptoms, particularly if this was not his nature before coming off the drug.  I am glad he is getting some help but it may be that psychotherapy will be ineffective if it is down to withdrawal.  You will know better than me what it is likely to be.  It is worth trying psychotherapy of course ... 

I think he has done remarkably well to get off these drugs at his age, I really do.  The best thing he can do is just to give it more time.  6 months isn't long in terms of benzo withdrawal. 

SSRIs can be very difficult to withdraw from but not everyone has problems.  It is very very difficult to know what to do for the best with these drugs.  Some people take an SSRI during withdrawal to help with depression.  I was on them for many years and did not have problems withdrawing, yet I have had a horrendous time with the benzos. 

I do hope your dad will see some improvements soon.

Fiona  :thumbsup: