Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

High vs low potency benzos/ how does that affect gaba differently

[Ma...]

Does a high potency benzo such as Xanax and Klonopin affect different or additional Gaba receptors than a low potency benzo such as temazapam.  Are taper plans ever adjusted at a faster rate if the original drug was low potency. I know conversion is only a part of the equation

Does a high potency benzo such as Xanax and Klonopin affect different or additional Gaba receptors than a low potency benzo such as temazapam.  Are taper plans ever adjusted at a faster rate if the original drug was low potency. I know conversion is only a part of the equation

I was just reading your other post about benzodiazepine potency issues... good questions!  I haven't really seen much about this topic, but there are likely to be some forum members who know something about it.  I'm afraid I don't.

I took Temazepam for around 20 years.  I stopped cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant, then started taking it again a few years later, then again cold turkeyed it when I was put on Xanax. 

Even after so many years of taking Temazepam at night, I never felt the negative issues that I did with Xanax.  Drawing from my own use of these two benzos, I'd agree that Temazepam is the lesser of two bad drugs.  But as far as changing your taper rate because the original benzo was of lower potency, I would have to say I think I'd stick to the Ashton protocol.

If your taper is going really smoothly and you don't have any symptoms, or very few, you might try larger cuts.  The problem with long-acting benzos and tapering is that it can take two weeks to know that the cut was too much, and many more weeks to try to rectify the bad cut.  If you can.

Not trying to sound dire.  Just cautious.  :)

Magnolis,

You're only on temazepam  ? I'm not sure I understand your question.

High potency as a group have a somewhat different binding to receptors, including brain regions.

If I'm not mistaken, a relatively strong effect on the limbic system and the brain stem.

I'm sure there are other differences. Klonopin is a beast on its own.

Fascinating subject. If you want to read about the GABAa receptors, I found this in the Joirnal of Biological Chemistry. It's pretty involved but gives the gist of all the subunits and other characteristics of the GABAa receptors.

http://www.jbc.org/content/287/48/40224.full

Now to find the research on how different benzos bind to the GABAa receptors and their subunits.  :)--V

Yes , Temazapam is the only benzo I have taken.  Calculations seem to only deal with conversion of valium which is only one part of the puzzle. The receptors affected by lower potency/vs higher potencey is what I was looking for information on.  Although, I think Gee Gee and I are the only Temaz people left.  I think thre is another member, but she also takes K.