Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Severe sleep deprivation

[Bl...]

Hey guys , it's me again....sorry I'm posting here but I don't see many in the insomnia section with my kind of severe sleep deprivation.  I've just gone 2 full weeks now with zero sleep, nothing at all and minor micro sleeps. I'm beside myself as it's making me very sick and making all the other sxs horrendous.  I'm honestly scared for my life and nothing that I take helps, even medical MJ does nothing ....

Is there anyone here that had gone this long without sleep and did it resolve without more Meds? My hormone dr gave me a script for seroquel but I've been scared to try it.  I'm in week 3 now and it's very frightening . I ended up in the ER in 2014 where they reinstated me on Valium as if gone 17 days without sleep, I'm still tapering but stuck ...

Can anyone relate ? Desperate for help  :'(

Blue

Hi BlueSwan, I'm sorry to hear about your sleep problems. What is your history? If you ct then your sleeplessness is not to be unexpected.  I ct'd from Estazalom March 2015 and experienced 3 weeks of the same sleep problems you describe. I had to reinstate, but used the opportunity to switch to Valium at a lower than equivalent dose.  I tried .25 seroquel and it did help me sleep but I felt hyper the next day. I used it off and on for a while but switched to Trazadone and now average about 6 hours sleep a night. I'd try the seroquel and see how it works for you.

What you are experiencing is frightening. It's important to find some way to sleep and it may take a drug to do so. While not ideal, sleep drugs that do not affect your gaba receptors may be necessary for you to kick the benzo's successfully. I know I'll have to get off the trazadone eventually, but right now getting off the benzo's is the priority.  Good luck and I hope you are able to get some sleep.

I was on 50mg Seroquel and it definitely helped me fall asleep. I wasn't hyper the next day but I was groggy and tired. Some time Later I cut it 25mg and was still able to sleep. I had bad withdrawals when I jumped off it it 25mg though, so if you do start it, be sure to taper off it at least under 25mg. Seroquel wd lasted about 2-1/2 months after I dropped it.

i used the following when tapering

seroquel 50mg- effective, ct'd due to potential very serious side effects (google tardive dyskinesia)

remeron - somewhat effective, gave me muscle tension, and the next day sedation is bad

trazadone - did nothing

doxepin - I call it a lighter version od remeron, somewhat effective, less sedation

still use:

gabapentin - not a sleep inducer, but helps to stay a sleep

mj - cbn/cbd/low thc drops - no side effects, somewhat effective

i would consider seroquel last resort, and don't use it long-term or daily

Hey guys , it's me again....sorry I'm posting here but I don't see many in the insomnia section with my kind of severe sleep deprivation.  I've just gone 2 full weeks now with zero sleep, nothing at all and minor micro sleeps. I'm beside myself as it's making me very sick and making all the other sxs horrendous.  I'm honestly scared for my life and nothing that I take helps, even medical MJ does nothing ....

Is there anyone here that had gone this long without sleep and did it resolve without more Meds? My hormone dr gave me a script for seroquel but I've been scared to try it.  I'm in week 3 now and it's very frightening . I ended up in the ER in 2014 where they reinstated me on Valium as if gone 17 days without sleep, I'm still tapering but stuck ...

Blue

• 5 years later...

Hi Everyone,

Digging up this old post, because it seems relevant to so many of our w/d symptoms.

Can you please rank your preferred sleep aids to use during tapering? How often do you take them, at what dosages, etc.

I thought Seroquel would be an OK as a sleep aid, but it seems like a bad idea according to the post above, at least regularly.

Blue

Wow, I wish I knew of something that I thought could help you sleep, if only a little BlueSwan. I was reading your signature. Prior to benzos, were you sleeping ok? When exactly did your sleep issues start happening? Did it get progressively worse to essentially nothing now that you can discern or did this happen like all of a sudden? I was given seroquel when I was inpatient detox in 2006. The staff told me I slept for 17 hours straight but I did not recall much. They gave me an injection in the hospital IIRC after I went two days w/o sleep.

I stopped taking the Seroquel pills however as soon as I was discharged.