Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Looking for support

[Be...]

Ill start by saying that I have been benzo free for about 4 months now.

I first started with zoplicone for insomnia about 14 years ago for sleep issues and used it very infrequently. I was then prescribed clonazepam about 12 years ago for performance anxiety and still only used that periodically. Once I really started having insomnia about 6 years ago I really started using both zoplicone and clonazepam much more frequent. I also turned to alcohol and periodic use of opiates to help cope with the insomnia and stresses related to my job. Over time all of these coping mechanisms became more frequent. I was taking benzos just about every day for the past 4 years I think. I then had a traumatic event happen and my alcohol use became out of control. 1 year ago I checked into rehab and while in rehab they tapered me off benzos over a 10 day period which was pretty disastrous. I did not have the coping skills for this and relapsed following rehab with both alcohol and a drug called etizolam which is very similar to a benzo but much stronger and short acting. I then went back on lorazepam and at that time (about 9 or. 10 months ago) just took 1mg a day, some days taking 1.5mg. I then tapered over a 2 month period. My Dr at the time thought I could just cut my dose in half for a couple weeks then just stop. I did my own research on how to taper and informed him that that would not be enough time and also request I be switched to valium for the taper. He wanted me to then taper over a 1 month period in which I convinced him to stretch it to 2, which was also too fast. I experienced severe withdrawl symptoms during and immediately after the taper. It has been 4 months of being benzo free.  It is getting easier but this is never easy. I am still having issues with my body and still having a rough time with the waves. I have been getting therapy which has also been making it more manageable but I could always use more help and support. Thanks if you read this far

Thank you

Hello Benedictus,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! Congratulations on being benzo free although as you stated, your taper was very quick. The good thing is that now your system can start to recover from the long time use of these drugs.  Four months off is pretty early in terms of benzo withdrawal, I was still very symptomatic at that point. I'm glad it is getting easier, that means healing is taking place. Give it time, time is the real healer.

I'll give you a link to the Ashton Manual, it is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. Although it discusses tapering, it also speaks about the process in general. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

I'll also give you a link to a couple of other boards. The first is the Cold Turkey, Detox, Rapid Withdrawal Board since your taper was considered fast.  There you can communicate with others in the same situation as yourself.  I'll also include a link to the Post Withdrawal Recovery Board where you can post and receive feedback from members.

We're glad you are here and yes, you'll get a lot of support and encouragement. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

The Ashton Manual

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal 

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

pianogirl  :)

ILloyd start by saying that I have been benzo free for about 4 months now.

I first starated with zoplicone for insomnia about 14 years ago for sleep issues and used it very infrequently. I was then prescribed clonazepam about 12 years ago for proforma nice anxiety and still only used that periodically. Once I really started having insomnia about 6 years ago I really started using both zoplicone and clonazepam much more frequent. I also turned to alcohol and periodic use of opiates to help cope with the insomnia and stresses related to my job. Over time all of these coping mechanisms became.more frequent. I was taking benzos just about every day for the past 4 years I think. I then had a traumatic event happen and my alcohol use became out of control. 1 year ago I checked into rehab and while in rehab they tapered me off benzos over a 10 day period which was pretty disastrous. I did not have the coping skills for this and relaped following rehab with both alcohol and a drug called etizolam which is very similar to a benzo but much stronger and short acting. I then went back on lorazepam and at that time (about 9 or. 10 months ago) just took 1mg a day, some days taking 1.5mg. I then tapered over a 2 month period. My Dr at thr time thought I could just cut my dose in half for a couple weeks then just stop. I did my own research on how to taper and informed him that that would not be enough time and also request I be switched to valium for the taper. He wanted me to then taper over a 1 month period in which I convinced him to stretch it to 2, which was also too fast. I experienced severe with crawls symptoms during and immediately after the taper. It has been 4 months of being benzo free.  It is getting easier but this is never easy. I am still having issues with my body and still having rough time with the waves. I have been getting therapy which has also been making it more.manageable but I could always use more.help and support. Thanks if you read this far and hope this site helps

Thank you

Welcome Benedictus!

Glad you found this forum. Sorry to hear of your struggles.😘It is rough but you will heal and get better. I did not think I would ever recover but I can say with confidence I am 100% better and so will you be! Use all the resources on this great forum..it is a God send. And especially read the SUCESS STORIES. Pick out your favorites and print them out to re read.I am here if you have any questions just PM me😘

Thank you very much

i just realized that i did not re-read my message before it sent it, sorry for the typos.

Also I can say i am drug and alcohol free I have been drug and alcohol free for about 8 months now and could not imagine ever going back to using any substances of any kind.

thank you for your support

Thank you very much

i just realized that i did not re-read my message before it sent it, sorry for the typos.

Also I can say i am drug and alcohol free I have been drug and alcohol free for about 8 months now and could not imagine ever going back to using any substances of any kind.

thank you for your support

That is fantastic! Keep going!

:thumbsup: