Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Has anyone succesfully c/o to Valium and had a better taper and recovery?

[Lu...]

Hello buddies! I need some reasurence, I feel I cannot go forword with this fast taper from Xanax and I'm thinking of c/o to Valium and taking it a little slower, but I don't know how will I feel so hence my question : Has anyone succesfully c/o from Xanax/other short acting benzo to Valium and had a better taper and recovery?

From what I have read so far, Valium has a long half life, meaning it stays in your body for as long as 200 hours.  I understand you are also trying to taper off Xanax like me.  Xanax has a very short half life, in my case, I feel withdrawal symptoms after 4-6 hours, so it is like hell if I don't take a dose within that time frame. I am going to talk to my psychiatrist and see if I can cross over to Valium.  The way I understand it, if I am taking 0.5mg Xanax 3x a day, I may only need to take one dose of 10mg Valium at night each day.  Also, the lowest dose of Valium is 2mg that can even be cut in half (1mg).  If I am correct, 2mg Valium is about 0.05 Xanax.  So 1mg Valium is 0.025 Xanax, which make it a good choice for long taper to a tiny dose.

I'm going tomorrow to see a psych doc and hopefully I can get a presciption for Valium so I can taper that... I cannot move forward with the Xanax...IT is way too brutal...

If I taper 1 mg per week would that Be fine? So from 10 mg of V to 1 and then 0 în 10 weeks I should Be off...

Yes, I read that it is recommended to decrease the dosage no more than 10% every 1-2 weeks.  So if you are starting with 10mg Valium, decreasing it by 1mg every 1-2 weeks is recommended.  However,  2 weeks may be better during the last few reductions.  Read Schedule 2 here, I think you start with Stage 17 at 10mg: http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm