Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

documentary benzo's (ashton)

[lo...]

today i watched a documentary of professor ashton herself , in the documentary they say that the symptoms can also permanent.....

so if i watch to all the topics here most people still suffer after a year im beginning to question myself of this all will be indeed :"permanent"

it makes me so unhappy that i even watched this documentary because now all hope is gone

No, it's definitely not permanent - professor Ashton says so in her manual. I'm sure that was put in there for extra drama. Where is the documentary?

Hello there

This documentary has been discussed a fair bit on this forum.  Please do not let it distress you.  Those of us who are campaigning on this issue in the UK and the Republic of Ireland are of course keen to present the worst scenarios.  We are finally making  progress after decades of campaigning.  Please see the documentary in this context.  We need to shock the medical profession and the UK Governments into action.  Nothing else has worked.

I know you are very ill and I see you don't have any real support.  So watching this kind of thing is probably best avoided right now.  I do believe that Prof Ashton is right.  Some people will be left with some symptoms - note the use of the word "some".  I might be one of them but I have no doubt I will enjoy life again in spite of that.  Many people will recover completely.

No matter how sick you are right now, please  believe it is going to get a whole load better.

Perhaps you could add your drug history to our signature if you feel up to it.

Hugs

Fiona (Scotland)  :smitten:

No, it's definitely not permanent - professor Ashton says so in her manual.

That is not true. Ashton does state in her manual that some symptoms may be permanent for some people and she states it again in the documentary the OP is talking about. That does not mean that most people will have permanent symptoms, and that doesn't mean that people who do have long term symptoms suffer from debilitating issues or that they won't still continue to slowly improve over time but Ashton does state that it is possible.

There are other folks in the recovery community who are more adamant that everyone recovers given enough time. I think it's easy to read too deeply into Ashton's statement when we are suffering. When we are in pain we hear the worst case scenario. It also think that the possibility of long term symptoms is generally underplayed in the benzo community but my guess is that the answer is probably somewhere in between for most of us. I think most people recover very well within the first year or two. There are some people who take quite a bit longer (I am one of them) but I think the long term prognosis for us is good as well. The human body is amazing and I think pretty much all of us will improve given enough time.

I just wanna say that it was nog My intention tot piss someone off but people here are so dure we all heal but most of US here have symptoms over 2 years and longer ...long time users ar not in one case healed in a few months.

Stille i wish the best for all of US

Greetz from belgium

I don't think you have pissed anyone off.  But try not to get too down about all this.  Try to keep positive.

Wishing you all the best for a good recovery.

Fiona  :thumbsup:

'There are other folks in the recovery community who are more adamant that everyone recovers given enough time.'

I say that's nonsense. Time won't fix everything.

As far as I know, Ashton defined 'permanent as lasting more than 10 years'.

lodast, I don't see your signature.

But it is not unusual to have issues after one year. Most people recover 100 % or nearly 100 % within a few years after taking the last dose.

'There are other folks in the recovery community who are more adamant that everyone recovers given enough time.'

You are certainly entitled to that opinion but I'm not sure what proof you have that time won't fix this. I personally think that it is possible to have symptoms beyond the 10 year mark but I think it is probably pretty rare to suffer from debilitating symptoms that far out and in the absence of any other credible expert evidence I am inclined to at least listen to what people who have had their ear to the ground in the recovery community for many years, likely much longer than Ashton herself have to say.

we all heal also long term users with big doses every day? i took at the end 5 pills of alprazolam before sleeping at night?

im so sick of living like this 4 months out and not a single change ; i can barely walk

You are too early in the process to be thinking you won't recover. 

40 years on benzos and A/Ds.

I was very, very sick too.  For a long time. 

There wasn't much change in the first year. 

It is easier to get through this if you can try to be positive. 

Fiona  :thumbsup:

You are certainly entitled to that opinion but I'm not sure what proof you have that time won't fix this. I personally think that it is possible to have symptoms beyond the 10 year mark but I think it is probably pretty rare to suffer from debilitating symptoms that far out and in the absence of any other credible expert evidence I am inclined to at least listen to what people who have had their ear to the ground in the recovery community for many years, likely much longer than Ashton herself have to say.

I meant that in an absolute way. Time won't fix everything for everyone. That's what I meant.

For most people ? As long as they can live relatively normally and there are no major complications, sure.