Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Newbie help needed, please answer.

[wa...]

What is the substitution method VS the Titration method? I would assume substitution is the Ashton Method?

Also, is there a benefit to one or the other, in your opinion?

Lastly, the Ashton Method--I assumed it was liquid. Is it liquid or pills? And I have read about using a compounding pharmacy and some members using compounded pills?? How does that work? If I am crossing from Klonopin to Valium, what exactly does a compounding pharmacy do?? I'm confused.

And I've asked more than one question. I apologize. I'm overwhelmed and trying to get ready to do this.

Substitution means switching to a longer acting benzo, which is essentially the Ashton method.

If you have never tried doing a reasonable taper (5-10% reduction every week or two) from you original benzo then it is probably best to try that first before crossing to valium (keep that as a backup plan). People try lots of different methods to make those 5-10% reductions. One is titrating, which involves liquefying a small portion of your dose to make small decreases (and you take the rest of your dose in pill form). I prefer liquids that are prescription or from a compounding pharmacy, but people have been successful with homemade solutions as well. Another approach is to use a scale to decrease the size of the pill fragments gradually.

:thumbsup:

JKS

JustKeepSwimming-Thank you for answering.

I have a wonderful compounding pharmacy that I use for my hormones.

So, if I get my Dr's approval for the Ashton Method, do I just give that method/dosage schedule  (in my case Klonopin 1.5 to Valium) printed out to my dr, who gives it to the pharmacy? Is this done monthly? If I need to stay at a certain dose for a while, do I then call the Dr who notifies the pharmacy that I might need to stay at a certain dose for a while? Sorry for all of the questions. I DO appreciate the help.

JustKeepSwimming-Thank you for answering.

I have a wonderful compounding pharmacy that I use for my hormones.

So, if I get my Dr's approval for the Ashton Method, do I just give that method/dosage schedule  (in my case Klonopin 1.5 to Valium) printed out to my dr, who gives it to the pharmacy? Is this done monthly? If I need to stay at a certain dose for a while, do I then call the Dr who notifies the pharmacy that I might need to stay at a certain dose for a while? Sorry for all of the questions. I DO appreciate the help.

Diazepam (Valium) is available in an Rx liquid.  Probably a better alternative than a  locally compounded mixture.

Just ask your doc for a scrip for Roxane Diazepam Oral Solution, 5mg=5ml.

Thanks, but how do you (from your signature line) get to .8mg, etc. How do you measure that? I want nothing to do with a scale, etc. I want someone to do the measuring for me, as surviving this will be all I want to concentrate on. Not to mention my DR is a GP and trusts me, but has no knowledge of this whole tapering thing.

-J

Thanks, but how do you (from your signature line) get to .8mg, etc. How do you measure that? I want nothing to do with a scale, etc. I want someone to do the measuring for me, as surviving this will be all I want to concentrate on. Not to mention my DR is a GP and trusts me, but has no knowledge of this whole tapering thing.

-J

That's the big advantage of using liquid...you can easily measure out tiny doses.  You just use an oral syringe.  Even using it "full strength", you can measure out .01mg. 

I would also first see how you do with the compounded liquid from the pharmacy if you get liquid compounded klonopin. Take the liquid K for a week or more to see if your body is okay with it. I tried to use this in a prior taper attempt and my body really did not like the liquid K. I don't know why--it felt like I was taking no medicine. Some others have had similar results using a compounding pharmacy with liquid klonopin.

I do cut with a scale and it is not hard to do.