Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Coping with insomnia during ( and after) taper

[ru...]

I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on using non GABAa targeted drugs for sleep when tapering? Specifically, highly sedating drugs like mirtazapine and quetapine.

The knowledge I have gained at this site far surpasses what I get from my Psychiatrist. I am now putting a lot more faith in what I read here than what I hear from him. He was not  familiar with the Ashton Manual so that was a big red flag for me. He suggested I could omit a daily does of Klonopin, during my taper, without issues and no need to be cutting the pills into such small doses.

I am hopeful, once totally off the  Klonopin, I can start to drop the above mentioned sedating drugs as well. My issue is/was insomnia runs in the family. Mother had it, brother has it and even my 6 year old grandson requires melatonin to get to sleep.

I always needed 7-8 hours of sleep but when I began experiencing sleep maintenance and initiation issues 18 years ago, I realized my " normal"sleep structure was going to be forever altered. 15 years ago a so called Sleep Doc hands me an RX for Ambien (20 mg a night) and says you will be on these for the rest of your life!!

With this last withdrawal, I have promised myself, no more hypnotics even if I experience rough nights. Nor do I plan on using either of the sedating non hypnotics on a consistent basis. I will never again allow tolerance to build.

This board has been an invaluable asset for me. Thank you to all who make it so.