Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Very nervous about surgery

[Be...]

I'm having major surgery (hysterectomy) next week and I'm still not comfortable with the idea of having to be put under with general anesthesia (propofol) along with the use of fentanyl, morphine, etc.  I plan on refusing the benzo that I understand is normally given pre-op.  I'm 14 months out from a rapid taper (Ativan) and still having waves.  I can't put this surgery off any longer but I don't want a huge set back in my benzo recovery either. 

I'm looking for success stories, advice, guidance, anything from members who were off their benzo for at least 6 months, had major surgery (not dental) and recovered quickly from the general anesthesia and other hospital- administered drugs.

Hi Bella,

I'm sorry you have to deal with this....it's difficult when health issues crop up while we're still healing from benzos. I also have an upcoming surgery and will be refusing the pre-op benzo (as I did last time as well). I had surgery in acute and was given Propofol and morphine and had no additional issues. We've had many members who've successfully had surgery with Propofol with no adverse effects, hopefully they will post and share their experience. Good luck and please keep us posted on the surgery.

Thank you so much! I read some horror stories and wish I hadn't! I look forward to others posting with success stories....

Good luck with your surgery....

I also had surgery about a year post taper with no problems from propofol.  I didn't accept the pre-surgery 'relaxant' which was probably a benzodiazepine of some sort, but I did have propofol for the anesthetic and had no issues as a result.

A morphine drip was hooked up when I came out of surgery when I had a hysterectomy 22 years ago, but I decided against it and was fine with Tylenol with codeine.

Fingers are crossed for you!

I would not put additional pressure on myself - take the meds you need (but tell them to give you the smallest amount) and then go back to your life. The worst thing that can happen is that your are having a little setback - but you know how to behave then and you know the reason for it.

Chin up! It doesn't have to go the negative way, it can also be all good.

:smitten:

Marigold

Also make sure they do not give you any of the fluoroquinolone antibiotics, like cipro or levaquin. Not good for benzo sensitized people.