Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone out there who went cold turkey?? Need support!

[Li...]

I went cold turkey from xanax in a detox facility which began 4 weeks ago. This is pure hell! I've never experienced anything this intense in my life. The physical symptoms have eased up a lot and I have just been hit hard with the psychooogicL issues. When I first read about DP/DR I could not relate and now there is no other way to describe this feeling. It's awful. I think being out in public and being around a lot of other people trigger it. It has to be the loneliest feeling in the world. I think it also triggers panic attacks. Can anyone else relate or share their experience with this? It's so hard not having anyone to talk to that can truly understand this. It's hard to put this experience into words sometimes.

Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry that things are bad for you right now but you are in the very acute stage of withdrawal. Distract. It's the best piece of advice I can give you. DP/DR are really horrible symptoms to experience, everything just feels alien big time. I thought I was going to die one time travelling in a car, the sounds were too loud, the size of the car too big and threatening. I was both  agoraphobic and claustrophobic and that combined with noise and light sensitivity I found really tough to bear but it does get easier with time. Many of us have been in the exact same position as you and survived. When things were bad I did everything and anything just to get through - long walks, cleaning the house, more long walks! Some find meditation useful. I would like to recommend a book, "Recovery and Renewal" by Baylissa Frederick. This lady went through a benzo withdrawal and I used her book as my go to bible, it really was an enormous help. Remember, distract.

Hugs.  pris xx

I went cold turkey from xanax in a detox facility which began 4 weeks ago. This is pure hell! I've never experienced anything this intense in my life. The physical symptoms have eased up a lot and I have just been hit hard with the psychooogicL issues. When I first read about DP/DR I could not relate and now there is no other way to describe this feeling. It's awful. I think being out in public and being around a lot of other people trigger it. It has to be the loneliest feeling in the world. I think it also triggers panic attacks. Can anyone else relate or share their experience with this? It's so hard not having anyone to talk to that can truly understand this. It's hard to put this experience into words sometimes.

I know a thing or two about detox centers. Been there ...done that for Benzos. Neither fun...nor nice. The good news is you will make it thru this nightmare and get better just like I did. I had a VERY extreme withdrawal. Not bragging about it either. I thought I was going to die. My symptoms were off the charts!! Never knew my pain tolerance was so high. The real thing that surprised me was I didn't know I could survive the war of intrusive thoughts that were constantly going through my mind 24/7. Being at war with yourself is tiring and down right scary. The list of symptoms I had was vast. To many to count. I was a complete train wreck!

As time passes your symptoms will ease. Be very gentle with yourself and steer clear of things that cause you anxiety. Your central nervous system is very sensitive while going thru this shit. Keep hydrated and try to get some calories in your body. I lost a ton of weight due to pacing around so dam much. I couldn't sit still. Brutal. Keep reminding yourself if people like me can survive a cold turkey in a detox center .....so can you. I'm proof of it and wouldn't lie or bullshit you about any of this. You will survive this and get your life back. Just hold tight and try to distract and make time pass. Your healing everyday whether you know it or not. I'm sorry your having to go through this. No one should ever have to. You have a great life ahead of you......promise!

Thank you so much KRock! It's so great having someone who can relate. I know if I make it through this, I will be able to make it through anything. I'm determined not to let this experience break me.

It wont break you ....but it will push you to the breaking point.  At least it did me...quite a few times if i recall. The thing of it is...once you realize nothing can help your healing but time. You learn to surrender to the process. You stop putting a time frame on getting better and just roll with it. This isnt always easy to do with all the stress life puts on us to get better so we can get back to work, family, and just a normal life in general.

Try not to compare your withdrawl to other peoples withdrawl on this site.. Every withdrawl is different. It might upset you when others might heal faster or have it easier than you do. That will cause anxitey and make your symptoms flare up worse. Just know that your body is reacting like it is in withdrawl becauce thsts what it needs to do to heal itself. Its thats simple. Painfull process i know. But thats what needs to take place in order for you to get better.

Keep self talking and remind yourself often that all this is just temporary. It DOES goes away.

Keep pushin forward. Your doing a great job!